Z4 M COUPE (Hi Fi System)

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
cbisbi

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Z4 M COUPE (Hi Fi System)

Post by cbisbi »

Hi all!

I am the proud owner of a black m coupe (first reg May 2007 - bought it second hand last March with 17k kms). It carries a lto of kudos although I am not certain whether it carries one that I really appreciate: the 10 speaker BMW Hi Fi system.

The car is equipped with the Sat Nav professional system incl. TV and the lot. It also has the relevant slots for the speakers, however, the end result is rather dissapointing. The reason I know it is dissapointing is the fact that I also happen to own a z4 3.0i, without the nav. system which includes the 10 speaker system and in comparison with the M's sound the difference is huge in both quality and quantity. The M's bass effect is appauling!

Here are my question then: Is the Sat Nav system always accompanied by the 10 speaker system? If a Z4 has the speaker slots in place I assume that it also has the 10 speaker system built in???

Many thanks in advance for your replies!!!
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Is it possible your 3.0 Roadster has the HiFi Professional (carver) system?
cbisbi

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by cbisbi »

Quite possible....Not sure though...would there be any external indication?

Thanks
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Looking for the DSP modes is the easiest method:

- in a car with professional navigation there is a 'DSP' option on the main menu of the pop up screen. Once selected you can activate room modes like 'Hall' and Jazz'

- on cars without navigation these modes can be selected via the head unit

There is almost a night and day difference between the systems. Either you are used to the superior system in your 3.0 Roadster or the setup in the Coupe is defective.

Good luck.
cbisbi

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by cbisbi »

There is no pop-up screen in the roadster - hence no DSP. However, there is one in the M including the DSP function!!!!

I think a visit to the dealer is inevitable!!

Thanks a lot
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

A roadster with HiFi Professional can have DSP. You just need to select them with the HU.
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Are there subwoofers behind the seats? If there are holes instead, you don't have the 10 speaker system.
cbisbi

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by cbisbi »

There are woofers however the sound produced is below par...

Could it be that the speakers are shot?

Does the 10 speaker kit include an amplifier?

Trust me people the difference in sound produced by the two vehicles is chaotic, especially in the bass section. The M's system "booms" to the extent where you can feel it through out the structure. I have played a lot with the DSP settings and I haven't had any improvement.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

HiFi Professional and the HiFi system both have 10 speakers and amplifiers.

One of the many things that went wrong with my 2004 3.0 was the HiFi Pro system, which was replaced under warranty. Similar symptoms to yours. I'd have the dealer check it out.