Strange noise - any ideas what it could be

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
Bob Hoskins

Z4 M roadster

Strange noise - any ideas what it could be

Post by Bob Hoskins »

Hi,

Recently bought Z4M Roadster and have noticed a strange noise which seems to be eminating from the vicinity of the offside rear wheel. It is a sort of "tinny" noise which is apparent at very slow speeds, when first starting up and pulling away, and then seems to go away once warmed up. Could it be brake related, I have heard there are sometimes issues with warped discs or could it be the exhaust?

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Not too bothered as is still covered by warranty until december but wondered whether it is normal or is something to worry about and should get sorted.

Cheers.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Could be one of the handbrake shoe springs has come loose and is bouncing around inside the drum. Common problem on the Z3 so maybe something that happens on the Z4 also.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

A "tinny " noise. How disappointing. Titan Tim had a "titillating" noise that sounded much more fun!

Sorry that I have absolutely nothing constructive to add.
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

does it sound almost like a rake going over gravel? i have the exact same noise in my car! So far ive changed brake pads on all 4 wheels, had the weels taken of and hubs cleaned for any dirt/rust..... and its still doing it!

I also think i heard it make the noise once before the car was even moving... so it may not even be anything to do with the wheels.... possibly a loose belt?
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

A "Tinny" sound. Have you just got Married? It could be you are trailing some tins !! LOL