Real Life Running Costs

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives

Moderator: Gazza

Post Reply
User avatar
TitanTim
Joined: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 19:56
Posts: 5488

  Z3 roadster 1.9i
Location: Stafford

Real Life Running Costs

Post by TitanTim » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 20:05

Hi all (Gookah :lol: )

Quick questions please on a Z4M,

1) Average price for insp 1 and 2 service for Dealer and Indi.

2) 12 months road tax.

3) MPG for around town, start/start traffic and on an A and B roads run.

Cheers,

Tim.
Image
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

luckycolourblue
Joined: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 17:39
Posts: 62

  M roadster S52
Location: Bristol

Post by luckycolourblue » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 21:17

Are you noticing the prices are becoming tantalisingly low?

User avatar
TitanTim
Joined: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 19:56
Posts: 5488

  Z3 roadster 1.9i
Location: Stafford

Post by TitanTim » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 21:25

luckycolourblue wrote:Are you noticing the prices are becoming tantalisingly low?
Yepp I have noticed the Coupe's a tad more than the roadsters :lol:

Tim.
Image
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2725

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Real Life Running Costs

Post by gookah » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 23:54

TitanTim wrote:Hi all (Gookah :lol: )

Quick questions please on a Z4M,

1) Average price for insp 1 and 2 service for Dealer and Indi.

2) 12 months road tax.

3) MPG for around town, start/start traffic and on an A and B roads run.

Cheers,

Tim.
1)Insp 1 is £600-800 BMW (or £350 indy in Telford)
and Insp 2 is £800-£1200 BMW or (£600 indy in Telford) as valve clearances are checked and re-shimmed.

2)Tax is currently £435 for the year

3)MPG - I do around town 19/20 mpg (but I have mostly fun at that)

I have had 26 on a run, again with a spirited overtake on occasions, problem is if you come up behind a slow lorry, because you have the power, you tend to use it :wink: undoes any good work...

PS front brake discs (not including pads) will set you back around £500 from a dealers.... and that is not a fitted price! approx £300 elsewhere.

Not cheap to run at all, but if you only do low mileages, that will spread the time between servicing etc.
I have had mine for almost a year and have still got 3500 miles to an oil service, approx 12000 miles after that to the inspection 2 which may be 3 years down the road and at that age it may not be worth using BMW anymore.....

But having said that its worth every expensive penny to me because it is my enjoyment. I could spend that on cigarettes or some other pursuits that others equally enjoy.
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2725

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Real Life Running Costs

Post by gookah » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 23:56

the obligatory midnight double post :head:
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

User avatar
Badman gee
Joined: Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:45
Posts: 2299

  M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee » Mon 02 Jan, 2012 00:04

I like the z4m coupe
Image

The 'BEAST' 666

User avatar
TitanTim
Joined: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 19:56
Posts: 5488

  Z3 roadster 1.9i
Location: Stafford

Re: Real Life Running Costs

Post by TitanTim » Mon 02 Jan, 2012 15:31

gookah wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Hi all (Gookah :lol: )

Quick questions please on a Z4M,

1) Average price for insp 1 and 2 service for Dealer and Indi.

2) 12 months road tax.

3) MPG for around town, start/start traffic and on an A and B roads run.

Cheers,

Tim.
1)Insp 1 is £600-800 BMW (or £350 indy in Telford)
and Insp 2 is £800-£1200 BMW or (£600 indy in Telford) as valve clearances are checked and re-shimmed.

2)Tax is currently £435 for the year

3)MPG - I do around town 19/20 mpg (but I have mostly fun at that)

I have had 26 on a run, again with a spirited overtake on occasions, problem is if you come up behind a slow lorry, because you have the power, you tend to use it :wink: undoes any good work...

PS front brake discs (not including pads) will set you back around £500 from a dealers.... and that is not a fitted price! approx £300 elsewhere.

Not cheap to run at all, but if you only do low mileages, that will spread the time between servicing etc.
I have had mine for almost a year and have still got 3500 miles to an oil service, approx 12000 miles after that to the inspection 2 which may be 3 years down the road and at that age it may not be worth using BMW anymore.....

But having said that its worth every expensive penny to me because it is my enjoyment. I could spend that on cigarettes or some other pursuits that others equally enjoy.
Gookah, thats great :cheers just the info I needed.

I'm going to post the same question on the 1 Series forum for a 135i and see what difference there is. Still no sure if to swap the Zed for a Z3M or trade the 1er in against a Z4M or a 135i :roll: Just not sure owing a Z4M or a 135i is a sensible everyday proposition whereas replacing the Z3 with a Z3M for occasional use wont be so hard on the wallet so too speak :lol:

Thanks again,

Tim.
Image
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Ian in Lancs
Joined: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 16:21
Posts: 19

  Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Ian in Lancs » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 08:53

excluding tax and insurance and warranty extension my Z4M costs 80p/mile over 40,000 miles.

Sevicing, Tyres, Battery, Fuel, depreciation etc.

It is not a car to run on a budget and I have a warranty on it too.

User avatar
TitanTim
Joined: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 19:56
Posts: 5488

  Z3 roadster 1.9i
Location: Stafford

Post by TitanTim » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:06

Ian in Lancs wrote:excluding tax and insurance and warranty extension my Z4M costs 80p/mile over 40,000 miles.

Sevicing, Tyres, Battery, Fuel, depreciation etc.

It is not a car to run on a budget and I have a warranty on it too.
Cheers Ian :thumb:

Unsure I will be going for an M now :( as placed an order for the Z4.

Still contemplating selling the Z3 but after taking it for a run this morning it's a hard decision :shake:

Tim.
Image
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

weegeoff
Joined: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 20:15
Posts: 80

  Z4 roadster 2.0i
Location: Portavadie

Re: Real Life Running Costs

Post by weegeoff » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 20:43

Hi
I have a Z4 2,i The road tax is 225 pounds [sorry no pound sign] I drive on country roads I get aprox 36/ 39 mpg and on the motorway i get about 45 mpg doing 70/75 mph. according to the cars computer I dont think it will be that far out.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest