Stiffness of Z3M clutch pedal versus Z4M

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
Robin

M roadster S50

Stiffness of Z3M clutch pedal versus Z4M

Post by Robin »

I've been getting some minor left knee problems. My everyday driver is an auto.
The knee problem seems worse after I've driven my Z3M.
The Z3M clutch pedal is quite a heavy action. For those of you who've driven both
then did you notice if the Z4M pedal action is lighter than that of the Z3M. If so then I may consider this a reason to switch to a Z4M.
Thanks
'High G' motoring enthusiast
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: Stiffness of Z3M clutch pedal versus Z4M

Post by c_w »

It might be lighter, but it might also be because it's in different condition/newer.

You'll probably find if you drove another Z3M, the clutch may feel different. Z3M and Z4M should both have automatic self adjusting clutch covers, so this should mean the pedal effort and bite point stays the same throughout the clutch's life, but some factors can affect this such as condition of cylinders, lubrication of release bearing/arms etc. As an example I have an A3 TDI which had a very stiff clutch, unusual for the car, and it was because the input shaft on the gearbox was dry as a bone. Since fitting a new clutch it's really light and smooth.
Big Mr P
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by Big Mr P »

Hi Robin,
it's a long time since we chatted on here, just wondering is the stiff clutch is due to an age thing, us not the car, stick with it, a zed 3M is better than a zed 4m because if the clutch is softer it's obviously designed for the older driver. LOL. please no disrespect for the Z4M divers just a laugh between me and Robin. Still got Zed and wow some mods since you last saw it.
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Robin I have the solution to your problem, be more than happy with a straight swap with the wife's 3.0 litre auto, that'll sort your knee problem :D
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Big Mr P wrote:Hi Robin,
it's a long time since we chatted on here, just wondering is the stiff clutch is due to an age thing, us not the car, stick with it, a zed 3M is better than a zed 4m because if the clutch is softer it's obviously designed for the older driver. LOL. please no disrespect for the Z4M divers just a laugh between me and Robin. Still got Zed and wow some mods since you last saw it.
Hello Graham. Nice to hear from you.. even though you're taking the what's it :)
I hope you're still fighting fit. Even more mods wow !

So basically I have five choices.
1] A new knee joint
2] Or physiotherapy as I think it's just a ligament problem, though maybe I'm just in denial that I'm wearing out
3] Check out my clutch adjustment [thanks c_w for your tips there]
4] Buy an auto
5] Get a bus pass

:shrug

Mmmm.. I think I'll go for option 3] first
If I go for 4] You may hear from me Julie.
Or there's the metal folding roof Z4's. Some of the high powered ones are auto. But I don't know anything about them Whether they're more like an M to drive or more of a US style cruiser?
'High G' motoring enthusiast
doclip

M roadster S54

Post by doclip »

I've owned Z3 and Z4 both S54 variants and can testify that clutch is if anything stiffer on Z4 . I also suffer from severe osteoarthritis of both knees and get by taking Arcoxia 60mg as required .