Going to look at a 2.0 Z3

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Ash_88

blank.gif

Going to look at a 2.0 Z3

Post by Ash_88 »

Hey hey hey

just joined this forum this evening and just after a little help and advice really.

Im going to have a look at a 1999 2.0 Z3 tomorrow and was basically just after some advice on what i should be taking into consideration, looking for and any common faults on these.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated

Ash

:)
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I've only been a Z owner for 1 week now, so my advice is pretty basic... but I'd initially recommend carrying out a HPI check, this is £20 from the official HPI site although RAC online run a similar check for just £5.

Following that, if it appears a clean car, when viewing ensure that you check the ride with the roof up... listen for any wind noise or air flow into the cabin.

Check that the roof opens smoothly and does not foul the rear roll bars.

Check that the mileage complies with that of your earlier RAC/HPI check.

Check all electrics... windows/seats/CD Changer etc

Check for rust around boot lock and lower arches

Check needle when at temperature, it should sit mid way on the gauge

Check that both fobs are present

Listen out for a squeeky clutch - it can be a hard to cure problem

If the car is equipped with the original BMW stereo, ensure you get the security code

I'm sure there's much more I've missed... sorry if I stated the obvious!
Ash_88

blank.gif

Post by Ash_88 »

thats cool, cheers mate, i appreciate it. il try remember all that :) looking forward to seeing it
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Welcome

Post by namatjira »

Make sure you do all the usual. Check HPI clear, check for possible accident damage, when driving check for brakes pulling left or right and for steering wandering and so on. Listen for unusual noises and rattles. Check all body panel seams for even fit and look for possible filler or paint discolouration that could indicate a repair.

Remember that it is possible that the current owner may not know all the damage from earlier owners.

Check level of documentation and if past MOT and service stamps then compare mileages etc. to see if they make sense.

Read up on what the standard spec was for the model that you are checking and then mentally tick off what you find.

You may hear a rattling sound from the engine when accelerating. This could be a noisy vanos but should not be a problem unless very loud.

Look under the carpet in the boot near the cabin bulkhead and check out the weld along the width. Near each end is the possible problem - fairly rare but some cars had weakened welds resulting in some cracks beginning to form. Not terminal and can be both repaired and strengthened but not for the faint hearted. Use as a negotiation point if found.

All electrics should work okay. Check the rear window (in the hood) for cracks or brittleness. Depending on how it has been cared for it may need replacing. Quite fiddly and really best done by a professional (££'s). Also check for signs that the hood may have leaked about 2/3 back on each door window where the door seal meets the roof of the hood when closed. Cannot be helped but if it looks like it has leaked check the floor underneath to make sure no rust.

When checking the body panels, any front shunt in its history will almost always show with a misalignment of the bonnet with the winds on each side. The gap should be even and about the same on both sides. Even a soft knock can through this out. If the gaps are uneven then check other seams at the front to make sure that it is not because of a simple bonnet adjustment to fix it.

All I can think of for now, but when you see it remember if in doubt - don't - there will always be another one.

Good luck.
Now with both the 411 bhp Supercharged Z3MR and a WRX STi Wagon getting a 3.4 litre transplant and an XKR with mods planned.

Fast is good, faster is better. Wheeeeee !!!
Ash_88

blank.gif

Post by Ash_88 »

thanks - i will let you know how i have come on tomorrow evening
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

If only 1 FOB

Post by namatjira »

If the owner has lost a fob you can get a replacement from BMW. They will require your existing FOB and will reprogram both with new codes thus automatically locking out the original missing FOB. Worth doing in my book.
Now with both the 411 bhp Supercharged Z3MR and a WRX STi Wagon getting a 3.4 litre transplant and an XKR with mods planned.

Ash_88

blank.gif

Post by Ash_88 »

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/431160.htm Thats the car im going to look at, thoughts ?
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by namatjira »

Provided the engine bay has not been steam cleaned it looks reasonable from the photos. Value seems about right. With FBMWSH it should be reasonable also but check that the history includes more than just the stamps in the book.

Once you have the car you can get the original delivery spec from a BMW dealer if you are interested. It will highlight what was standard and what was an option for your vehicle at the time of delivery.

Lastly, check the condition and fit of the softtop cover. These have often just been chucked around and if so might not fit well. On the Z3 BMW did not do all that good a design job.

Ash_88

blank.gif

Post by Ash_88 »

Picking the car up tomorrow afternoon woop woop :)
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Happy days!! Congratulations. Health to enjoy.

C
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

yeah loks nice for the price,love the silver and black inside combo
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Well done Ash!

Looks great. I had my roof down today in the thick cloud. Go for it! :D
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Ash_88

blank.gif

Post by Ash_88 »

whiteminks wrote:Well done Ash!

Looks great. I had my roof down today in the thick cloud. Go for it! :D
Cheers mate, it is a fine day to be picking it up :) il hopefully get some pictures up later
I see your from Lincoln, thats where im coming actually to pick it up from, should be a nice drive over the Humber Bridge :wink: