Soft top insurance

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Lizzy

blank

Soft top insurance

Post by Lizzy »

Not sure if this is in the right section? As a newcomer to a soft top, I was told by a friend who has a convertible beetle that your insurance is invalidated if you leave the top down and the car unattended (ie in a car park). I've just insured as a 2nd car through Sky (who insure my everyday car) and it wasn't mentioned when I was quoted. I haven't combed the small print thoroughly yet.

Anyone know or anyone had any problems with this. I've left my car in my work carpark with the roof down but it is very safe and I leave it in my driveway which is completely off the road.
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

It seems to vary from company to company as to how they view it, better ring them to get it from the horses mouth. If you have an electric top then putting it back up is worth it as they do get creased when left folded for a while. I wonder if it also is a bit inviting to vandals etc. when left unatended with the top down. Good you are able to enjoy the weather there though. We are having heavy rain and storms here at present.
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Never heard that before, and I leave mine in loads of places with the top down, especially if I have the Toneau fitted.

They deffinitley won't cover you if the car is not locked or the keys are left in it but I've never heard anything about not leaving a convertable unattended with the roof down. What would Cobra dirvers do ?
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Yes, I've heard this too - like said by someone else, it varies from one provider to another. Its a bit like leaving it unlocked. Better read the small print or check with them directly.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It stated that on one of my previous policies somewhere. Don't think my current one does though. It may only be for theft FROM the vehicle rather than theft OF the vehicle - as we know, it is no different trying to open the door or start a zed with the roof down than if you broke the window to get in.

Am glad it doesn't say this on my classic policy - the roof offers no security whatsoever - you can remove it entirely from outside the car! Which is why it has a gear lever lock welded to the chassis and a ruddy big steering wheel lock. :P

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Lizzy

blank

Post by Lizzy »

I must admit, I thought that was why all the little cubbys locked so that it was safe to leave with the roof down. Will check my policy when I've got time but I'll leave it with the roof up when I park it for now.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Why would you tell the insurance company the roof was down if you car got stolen :?:
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!