New owner of a Z3 in the Chilterns

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New owner of a Z3 in the Chilterns

Post by motco »

Picked up my 52 plate Z3 2.2 Roadster Sport last Friday and drove it to the Brighton Speed Trials on Saturday - great run and the car lovely to drive. It still has its hardtop on because the rear window needs a polish and I hadn't had the time, but it'll be a priority to do it while the weather holds. :) I look forward to a long ownership of the car - it has only 30,000 miles on it and my main daily car (boring Mondeo diesel) has 112,000 so needs a rest! :P

I have a 1993 built 2.0 litre Westfield in the garage for out-and-out blasting with no frills, so the slightly 'softer' style of the BMW is ideal. Each car to its own... :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Motco, welcome on board, we do need some piccies though (and the westfield :wink: )

the 2.2 is a great engine for the Z3 :D (ps I bet its silver :rtm: )
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

No pics yet.. still getting to know it

Post by motco »

Thanks for the warm welcome, as I said no pics yet .... but here's the Westfield a couple of years ago at Abingdon. It's got a better (RAC approved) rollbar now and different mirrors but otherwise essentially the same. 2.0 Pinto engine, twin 40s, Maxflow 2 head, Kent fast-road cam. Roughly 140 BHP and 640kg kerb weight

Edited to add a pic lifted from the sale ad from which I bought the car - of course you're right, it is silver!

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Both look cool :wink:

Z with a rare Titanium hardtop as well :D
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Hi motco and welcome to the forum / madhouse :)
An excellent choice of model and colour (not that I'm in any way biased you understand)
We would have had 32,500 miles on ours but we went to Francelast month ....... :colourful:
Jonttt wrote:Z with a rare Titanium hardtop as well :D
Not that rare Jon :twisted: Image
Image :devil:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Thanks chaps! :) Nice to be made so welcome - I hope I can make some worthwhile contributions as I become more aquainted with the car. I took the hardtop off this evening with the aid of my other half (SWMBO) - blimey! It IS heavy isn't it? Got some plastic window polish from Halford's and tried a corner of the hood rear window - pretty effective it seems but I suspect it's dirt coming off in the main. The inherent milkiness of age may be a bit more of a challenge. The only criticism I have of the Z3 range is the flexy rear window. But still, it is a great car otherwise and why would I have the hood up unless it's raining? :shrug

Off to Sytner's in High Wycombe as soon as to try to get a spare key and tonneau/hood cover. Maybe a hood revival kit too if they still sell them as there's a slight stain on the inside that suggests a reproofing might be a worthwhile task.

Thanks again chaps! :drive
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Welcome motco.

Try some Autoglym SRP on the rear window - clears it up a treat :wink:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

myredzed wrote:Welcome motco.

Try some Autoglym SRP on the rear window - clears it up a treat :wink:
Thanks for the tip - I may well give that a go, or Renovo but that is very expensive so a less costly alternative is welcome. The Halford's stuff has made a big difference but I think it's mainly a deep clean rather than a polish. What do I treat by wrecked back with after trying to rub polish into the inside of the rear window, and struggling to raise the spare wheel carrier back up enough to refit the retainer in the boot corner?

Ah! I know just the stuff!

Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

motco wrote: What do I treat by wrecked back with after trying to rub polish into the inside of the rear window, and struggling to raise the spare wheel carrier back up enough to refit the retainer in the boot corner?
If you think that is bad, try greasing the clutch pedal pinions.
The instructions refer to "standing on your head in the driver's footwell"

:cheers

PS I don't think the chess board will be much help :devil:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Motco, the autoglym roof cleaner/reproofer kit is highly recommended on here, throws the water off after :wink:

People have had some great results by all accounts with Autoglym SRP but it won't get rid of the "fold" mark if you have it (caused by grit constantly rubbing when roof down). I took the easy option and installed a new screen (c£150 from dealer and 30 min 2 man job).

Yep the roof is too cumbersum for 1. (SWMBO refuses to touch mine now for fear of dropping it on the car :head: ).

The tonneau covers are nice to have but of limited use unless you can guarantee full sun all day (ie 2 days per year :D ). They come up on eBay pretty regular. If your lucky you can get one for c£50 but often they go for more.

And I guess you have a very common Titanium Silver Hardtop as Titan has one as well :dunce:

ps the back remedy is not an adult dose, you need several of those to be fully effective :shock:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Well the back remedy worked (it's how I brew it!) and I've bought an Autoglym roof refurb kit. Just waiting for it to stop raining! :?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Raining? :shock:

I have just had to water my plants outside because they were keeling over! Was just contemplating skiving off work work for a bit to go out for a bit of roof down action. 8-)

Nice duo of cars you have there.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Thanks Robert - like your frogeye too! I had a 1970 1275 Midget for some years and it was one of the best cars to drive I have had. The build quality wasn't too good (BL in the 70s :( ) but when it was running properly it was great fun.

It seems to me that there's a large contingent of Z3 owners from somewhat north of Birmingham - am I the only southerner? :D
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

motco wrote:It seems to me that there's a large contingent of Z3 owners from somewhat north of Birmingham - am I the only southerner? :D
No - it's just that us northerners are more talkative :twisted:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Titan wrote:
motco wrote:It seems to me that there's a large contingent of Z3 owners from somewhat north of Birmingham - am I the only southerner? :D
No - it's just that us northerners are more talkative :twisted:
:D :D