Newbie - better late than never!

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

Newbie - better late than never!

Post by Southcoaster »

Hello from East Sussex.

I purchased my little "Princess" in August last year, but I have only just got round to saying Hi to you all. No excuses for my lateness! :dunce:

I have been over Zroadster like a rash for the past few months and the info provided here is fantastic - I will now endeavour to contribute when and where I can.

A bit of history on me and Z3s, I owned a new 2.8 in 1999, but could never get on with the colour - a sort of dark metallic grey - I love silver, but was persuaded to buy the new colour - mistake. So I sold after a few months, never really giving it a chance.

I am a BMW junkie, cut me open and its says BMW round the edges! I have a BMW GS bike and only really like 3 series. I have had lots of them - all silver (except 1 black and 1 dk blue - never again!) currently have a 330CI cabrio (auto), which has been the fun car since 2003.

Early last year in a MLC moment, I went out to find a Z3M but ended up purchasing an E46 M3 Cabrio, Great car and after a bit of surgery sorting out the geometry, it was a real flyer, but unfortunately a **** magnet. :head: I like spirited driving but I dont want to race and I got fed up with the continued irritations that just wanted to play. So that got sold.

But now I had the M bug, I realised what I had been missing - gears and power were fun! The rear seats on the 330 have only ever been used for luggage so why have 4 seats when 2 will do. I could not afford a Z3M when they first came out but the prices now made them very attractive - time to start looking again - this time properly!

I decided that only an S54, in silver, with black/red leather would do and so I hunted. In August I found an ad on Autotrader - Z3M 2001 18500 miles - had to be an S54, phoned up the guy and we chatted, he was owner 4 and was in Derbyshire. We set off immediately and drove the 240 miles to Chesterfield, as it was late when we arrived, we agreed to meet up the next day.

On arrival at his house, he just gave me the keys and said "take it for a spin"! So I did! The car was very very clean, really tight, looked genuine and just felt right. After the usual phone calls, the deal was done.

I have researched the history, managed to contact owners 2 and 3, recovering most of the missing bits of history and confirming it as totally true. :P Although she had only recently had an Inspection II service, I had all the fluids changed, fitted new Pilot Sports, decent bulbs and reset the geometry.

In September 2010 we set off on a trip to the South of France, taking in some fantastic alpine roads, including the Cols du Cayolle, Gallibier and Torini, the latter being part of the original Monte Carlo rally route. She performed brilliantly, the handling was rock solid and performance outstanding - she has not been remapped or derestricted - managed to hit the limit on a stretch of the A6 just north of Lyon if you know what I mean :drive Total Trip covered 2500 miles.

She came with a hardtop - that will probably live in the shed forever, the rest of the spec is as follows: Harmon Kardon hi-fi - (radio replaced and cd changer now removed as it equals 2 pairs of shoes) Air-con, cruise control, apart from that she is in standard form and will stay that way as this is a long term love affair :oops:

What is great is that my wife Hilary loves it and I just want to thank her for her tollerance with my string of foibles and for actually paying for it! :cheers

Southcoaster aka Gerald

This photo was taken at the top of the Col du Gallabier (2645m)

billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Welcome on board Gerald.
Lovely looking example. Happy M Motoring and mmmmmmmmany smiles
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Welcome on board G!

Great looking motor - and fantastic scenery! I read someone's comment the other day: "Once a Z Roadster...." And it seems to be true....

To bad though that you never got used to your grey Zed - best colour ever!!! :D
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Wow its not everyday we have a new S54 owner joining the ranks so welcome to the forum and the S54 club :cheers

Car looks a cracker and although I presume you paid a premium for the low miles, glad to see its in great condition but no garage queen.

I'm soooo jealous you've been on such a road trip already. Unfortunately SWMBO thinks cars are an evil necessity and with an 8 month old baby my chances of such a trip are 0 for the next few years :bawl:

Worth you having a look at the S54 thread and making sure your car is known (they are rare beasts) :wink:

ps I've just taken delivery of a mint 2001 sales brochure for the S54 roadster so if you want a copy drop me a pm with your address.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Congratulations on a lovely looking Zed.

I will keep a look out for you as I live locally.

You won't be able to miss me. :roflmao:

I may be organising a cruise in April so hope you would be able to join us. :drive
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

Post by Southcoaster »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys.

Hey Ragtop, nice to know there's someone local. I have seen a couple of Zs around, but not yours, as you say, couldn't miss it.

Pulled mine out of the garage the other day, but in the space of a few minutes, the weather chabged so I put it back in again!

Would be very interested in a cruise, April look good - keep me posted.

G
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Wow Gerald just wow....

Im sooooo jelous as im on the hunt for an M// at the min...
Your s54 looks a cracker!
Hope to see you on some meets...
And yes it is true once a zder always a zder....
all the best! :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

my little "Princess" is a BELTER :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the S54 Club :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Welcome Gerald.

Great car indeed, and looks immaculate!

Shame you could only find a silver one, but hey, I guess you can't have everything! :wink:

Hope to meet you soon.

Cheers.
Alfie.