Another potential Z3 owner.

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Another potential Z3 owner.

Post by OldskoolRS »

Hello everyone. :) I was directed here by a former Z3 owner 'Smartypants'. I'm looking into getting a 2.8 Z3 since I've realised how reasonably priced they are these days. I have to confess that my long term plan is to get a TVR, but this will involve me finishing a restoration on my RS2000 so the Z3 would be an instant gratification of owning a RWD convertable with more than 4 cylinders. I'd be looking for one with a hardtop as it will have to sit outside on my drive as I only have a single garage. Who knows, if I find I really get hooked on the Z3 I may not end up getting the TVR...

I've had a couple of insurance quotes, but still researching as I have a company car (320d Touring, delivered today :bounce: ) so I'm looking at a low mileage 'classic car' type policy that won't need any no claims bonus (as per my RS2000 insurance).

Is there a section on here for cars for sale as I couldn't find one earlier before I'd registered?
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi and welcome - I saw your posts on Pistonheads and it was my 2.8 that snotrag came for a look at, and a quick ride in. He seemed to have been suitably impressed. Unfortunately Wokingham is a bit far from Wakefield but there may someone on here nearer to you.

Cars and other bits for sale are in the Stock Exchange section - just click on Forum at the top of the page to get a list of the different sections.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks...I've just been looking in the stock exhange section. Nothing as yet that catches my eye, just the one on PH that I linked to in my thread on there. I need one with a hardtop which seems quite rare, plus I'd rather get one with lower mileage and FSH like that one. Trouble is I'm on holiday soon so will have to wait until I'm back to look at it if it's still available. I suppose the delay will force me to read up a bit first, but now I've got the idea (and the OH approves too which helps ;) ) I'm itching to get one. :)
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

good to see you here...good luck with the search :wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Hi & Welcome.

Good luck with the search and I'm sure you'll soon have someone sending you a link to their P&J.

Stu
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

OldskoolRS wrote:Thanks...I've just been looking in the stock exhange section. Nothing as yet that catches my eye, just the one on PH that I linked to in my thread on there. I need one with a hardtop which seems quite rare, plus I'd rather get one with lower mileage and FSH like that one. Trouble is I'm on holiday soon so will have to wait until I'm back to look at it if it's still available. I suppose the delay will force me to read up a bit first, but now I've got the idea (and the OH approves too which helps ;) ) I'm itching to get one. :)
Don't let the lack of a hardtop put you off. There are always a few for sale on Ebay etc but the hardtop fitting kit is where you mat struggle.

Also FSH from a main dealer is also quire rare as there are a lot of good independants who do a good job at greatly reduced price.
Keep looking and asking questions as we are a freindly and helpful lot and there even some folk who know what theyre talking about!

Good luck with search and if in doubt just ask.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

It's just that my Z3 will have to sit outside as my RS2000 is in my garage being restored. I wouldn't trust leaving it out with only a soft top for protection as I think it would be too tempting for some idiots.

I have found a suitable car to view, but I'm away for the half term, so hoping it's still available when I return: Hard top, FSH and 50K, plus it's a 2.8 so spot on for me. :)

I can't believe how many Z3s I've seen in the last few days...never paid much attention before and now I've got them on my radar I keep seeing them. I just spent my first day driving my company 320d Touring today, so back in the BMW fold already (I had an E34 525 years ago).

EDIT: Meant to add that it seems a really friendly forum, so I won't be feeling afraid to ask a few questions.

EDIT2: I ordered this Z3 road test book from Amazon on Sunday night and it arrived today, so will give me something to read on a long flight. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1855 ... 00_details
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3

Post by Pistol968 »

Nice to see someone local on here- might be an idea for a mini cruise once you get yourself sorted and the weather heats up a little!

I bought my 2.8 about a month ago...

Good luck with the search- they seem remarkably well built cars but worth putting the effort in to finding a good one (says the guy who bought the first one he saw..)

Peter (Pangbourne)
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3

Post by Zed Carer »

Pistol968 wrote:Nice to see someone local on here- might be an idea for a mini cruise once you get yourself sorted and the weather heats up a little!

I bought my 2.8 about a month ago...

Good luck with the search- they seem remarkably well built cars but worth putting the effort in to finding a good one (says the guy who bought the first one he saw..)

Peter (Pangbourne)
Hi and welcome - I also bought the first one I went for a test drive in and have not regretted it.

We are all a bit nosey and like to see some piccies of member's cars - please :D
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Beside the drive back from picking it up mine hasn't moved in the month that I bought it! ( I have started and warmed the engine every few days). I'm waiting for some milder weather before I check it over thoroughly, oil change etc and give it some good TLC before taking photos etc- will gladly show it off then! I've also just agreed to buy some new 18" alloys which will be fitted by then too.

Sorry to hi jack your thread RS.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

No problem. I'm just jealous as I keep seeing Z3s all about and other new owners on here. :) Hoping 'my' Z3 is still for sale when I get back off holiday.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Well, I'm back from holiday and now seriously looking...and can't find a suitable car. :roll: There is one I've had my eyes on but the seller hasn't replied to my phone message or email to contact me for a viewing, so it's either sold, or perhaps he's away himself (I hope :D ).

I had a look at a tidy 1.9 today and a short test drive, but this just confirmed that I want a 2.8 for the extra power and straight six sound. It did confirm that I like the seating and general feel of the Z3 though as I've never even sat in one before today.

I've seen some others for sale further away, but all without hard tops, so I'd have to factor that in. Are they easy to get hold of as it's something I'd need pretty much straight away for security? I wouldn't be too worried about colour match as I can respray it later.

Any ideas where else to look apart from Autotrader, Pistonheads, Ebay and Exchange & Mart (and on here of course :) )?
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Well I've looked at and driven a few examples already. Most have kept their age well apart from a certain silver 2.2 up for £2,800 I looked at over near Surbiton...it was a wreck with a poor respray, ripped seats and a split roof. I didn't believe the 30,000 miles either. I don't know if there's a name and shame policy on here, so if anyone is thinking of viewing this car please PM me so I can confirm if it's the same one. ;)

I went to the other extreme this afternoon and looked at a £5995 3.0 manual with 62,000 miles on it. Only a couple of small dinks in the passenger door let it down (the kind a dent removal man could get out though) and signs of paintwork on the front bumper (due to stone chips I'd guess). It had air con which worked properly, though no heated seats, which I would think more useful on a convertable...I was a little disapointed with the performance of the 3.0. It was quick off the mark, but accelaration from say 50/60mph in 4th felt quite flat. I've recently taken delivery of a 320d Touring which is my company car and this has perhaps spoilt me in terms of mid range power. I knew I should have chosen a 318d with more toys to help differentiate my work and personal cars. :)

However, this has made me think that perhaps I may as well just look at 1.9 or 2.2 versions. There are quite a few in my area (or at least within where I'll be working this next week, which is a perk of my job I guess). I'd really like a 6 cylinder model, but found the 3.0 a bit too quiet, so I'd have to fit a different back box on any Z3 I buy I reckon.

I don't know whether just to buy a real cheapie 1.9 such as an 80,000 mile black with tan leather one that's local to me for £2,500. Or spend a bit more to get a tidy 2.2 (£4,450) I found, but it's in metallic red and not sure if I really like this colour. Otherwise there's a metallic blue 2.0 (£2,950) over Sussex way that I'll be working near on Monday.

In an ideal world I'd buy a metallic blue Z3M and keep it in my garage, instead of the TVR I was thinking of buying, but until I've restored and sold my RS2000 there isn't space for that option.

Sorry for the ramble...Mrs is bored of hearing about cars today and my usual car fan/drinking buddy is 300 miles away. :)
texasjohn

BMW other

Post by texasjohn »

OldskoolRS wrote: It was quick off the mark, but accelaration from say 50/60mph in 4th felt quite flat. I've recently taken delivery of a 320d Touring which is my company car and this has perhaps spoilt me in terms of mid range power. I knew I should have chosen a 318d with more toys to help differentiate my work and personal cars. :)
Gearing I'm afraid. My 118d (chipped from 143 to 170hp so very similar to your 320d once weight is considered) kept pace with my Z3 3.0 steptronic between 70-100 at which point the Z3 began to pull away.

The BMW 1 and 3 series diesels are quite quick in 3rd and 4th gear.
550i Touring

OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I agree John, I've put a few miles on my new 320d today and the mid range power is quite surprising given it's my daily driver (AKA 'shed' in Pistonheads speak). Shame the roof doesn't come off it really and that I didn't have to carry around some many spare parts etc for my job so the boot is full...

Looked at four more Z3s today, trying to decide between spending my full budget or buying a cheapie just to have a convertable.

Only one today was poor (blue 1.9 on steels and cloth trim) and another cheap 1.9 I looked at locally could do with a bit of buffing up (I have the gear to do this though). As the dealer let me take the 1.9 out on my own I gave it a bit of a blast and found it quite enjoyable as it feels faster with the roof down, it probably needed a weekend's work cleaning it up and maybe I'd repaint the bumpers to make it look tidier, but it got me looking at 1.9s more seriously if cheap enough.

I then found a better same priced fairly local silver 1.9 with 80,000 miles but pretty much FSH and all the options too such as heated seats, air con and electric roof that all worked. The seats were a dark green leather which I wasn't too sure about, but not a deal breaker. If I decide that a 1.9 will do then this would be it. Insured, taxed and on the road for under 3k makes it bargain roof down motoring I reckon.

The 2.2 I tried went nicely given the low speed test route I was allowed to use. At least it has the 6 cylinder sound even if the power isn't as much as the 3.0, but as said yesterday, neither have the mid range torque, so maybe just accept it for what it is. It seemed pretty flexible when crusing in 4th round town, so still an nice place to be; kind of a lazy drive compared to the 1.9 which liked to rev. I wasn't 100% certain about the colour though as it's a mettalic red. It had a few minor surface scratches, but nothing that some Menz polish on my buffer wouldn't remove and leave it looking near spotless.

When I got home I saw a blue (yay!!) 2.8 (yay again) that has just come up for sale and I'm viewing it tomorrow. 8-) Again it's at the dearer end of my budget, but the colour and slightly bigger engine would swing it for me over the red 2.2. It's slightly older, but lower mileage and full BMW FSH so looks promising. I just hope it's not like the silver 2.2 I saw (should be 'eyesore') yesterday.

Hopefully soon I'll be a paid up member of the Z3 club. :) I've sorted the insurance out already: As I'm on my OH's insurance they offered to cover the Z3 by 'mirroring' her no claims on both policies. I made sure that they realised I'll be the main driver, but this is OK (not like 'fronting' that parents used to do for their children's car insurance). I got a quote for about £255 for the 2.8 with £250 volunteery XS plus another £250 compulsory. I didn't think this was bad as they aren't bothered about limited mileage like my RS2000 insurance. Perks of being an old git I suppose. :)

I'll post back tomorrow about which car I go for. 8-)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Looked at the blue 2.8 tonight and it had the airbag light on, small dent on the grille area/bonnet, scraped back bumper and a few minor dings, plus the alloys needed refurbing as they were badly kerbed and paint bubbling up. By the time I'd done that I'd be well over the price of the tidy 2.2 I saw yesterday, not that he was open to much in the way of offers. The 'full BMW FSH' seemed to have a few gaps as well with independants and not been serviced for the last 19,000 miles so now due. As often the case the car didn't meet the description in the advert...just thankfull I didn't drive far to see it as it turned out he works quite near me.

However, I've had a look at my finances and I'm thinking that I might as well go for the blue 3.0 I tried on Saturday: A bit of a U turn, granted given my comments about the power not being as much as I'd hoped, but then it was mint and I couldn't find anything to knock the dealer down with which is good although bad in terms of discount. :) I figure that the price will be forgotten when I'm enjoying the drive and looking at the colour scheme I really wanted from the start (blue bodywork with black or beige leather trim).

Hopefully a hardtop will turn up at some point so I'll spray that to match (no way would I be lucky enough to match the car).

So if the car is still available tomorrow morning, I'll be putting a deposit down before I change my mind. :D Z3 ownership here I come. 8-)

I haven't spoken to the dealer since Saturday night so it's possible that the car has sold, but if not I think I'd better bite the bullet: I reckon I'll regret not getting the spec and colour I wanted.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

good luck to you.

The 'BEAST' 666
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks...on tenderhooks now incase it's sold. :shake:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Fingers crossed :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

There are plenty about don't rush

The 'BEAST' 666
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I'm now a Z3 owner. 8-) I rang him and offered 500 less than asking and after a little wait (no doubt for effect ;) ) he rang me back to agree. I popped in on my way home to pay the deposit and to have another drool over it and I'll pick it up on Saturday. I expect the mild weather will now end suddenly. :)

It was the only one I looked at out of 8 cars that had complete history (albeit some independents in later life), drove perfectly without rattles or clunks and had matching tyres. So I guess another one might come along later (I'll try not to look :) ) I feel that I got a really good example and it's the colour I wanted rather than a compromise. Bonus is that it's only just been serviced, so that expense can be defered for a while.

Can't wait until Saturday now...
Attachments
Front view resized.jpg
3.0 Topaz Blue
(220.19 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Interior resized.jpg
Black leather interior
(191.6 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Well done :D

Looks a nice example ... but now the modding starts and never ends :lol:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Well in theory I'll just enjoy driving and looking after it, then I can concentrate on restoring my RS2000...but I know how it goes with upgrades. :) I've already been on the 'Stock Exchange' but to be fair, I'm looking for a hardtop, but I did notice some other interesting bits in there. :wink:
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Seats would be my priority over a hard top can not beat comfort and the heated sport seats a brill with the top down on those chilly winter days.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Nice one! Slightly envious as I still miss my Z3, you'll really enjoy that, great timing also with the good weather on the way.

So will you be in this or will you get the RS2000 on the road for Bearwood this year? ;)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks Smartypants...getting the Z3 is an admission that the RS won't be on the road for some time I guess. :oops: Too many other commitments and DIY projects on going, but I'll work on it as and when so I don't get fed up with it. The Z3 just needs driving and the occasional wash & polish (I hope). :)
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Well I hope I get to see the RS sometime in the future, but I guess the Z3 is the safer bet ;)
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Welcome and congrats on your new car :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

smartypants wrote:Well I hope I get to see the RS sometime in the future, but I guess the Z3 is the safer bet ;)
You're welcome to pop round to have a look at how it stands now. Jon knows where I live or you can PM me. I'm down in Barnstaple for tonight with work (but with web access yay!), but back tomorrow.

Jamezee, cheers. :)
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Love to, I'm away tonight until the weekend - but I'll drop you a PM and maybe pop round next week. If you're not out enjoying the Zed ;)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Yeah, no problem whenever you're free.

On a separate topic I've just seen a Topaz Blue hardtop on Ebay...but it's in Hull which is a good 500 miles round trip to collect. :( I doubt a hardtop would fit in the back of a 3 series Touring, so I'd have to drive up in the Z3 and then fit the hardtop brackets etc before putting the roof on. That's even assuming that I win the auction. I'm not a big Ebay fan as I prefer a simple 'buy it now' price and no paypal.

Anyone with a hardtop for sale, please feel free to PM me. Topaz Blue would be perfect, but black or even silver wouldn't look too bad I reckon until I could get it painted. I'm starting to panic about leaving it outside with only the soft top and I haven't even collected it yet. :oops:
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Not sure if has been mentioned, but for the hard top you need to have the fixing kit fitted to your car. Do you know if you have it? That's quite an added expense I believe if not?

Personally I think the hard top is overkill, and just awkward to put on and then store. If it lives outside, yeah I can see the attraction - but my Griff lives outside and just have a cover which just goes over the roof section (not full car cover).

Anything like that available instead?
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

That makes me feel better that your Griff lives outside. :) I nearly looked at a cheap Chim but was worried about leaving it on the drive and I'd seen a Z3 with hardtop which is where it all started...

I don't think my car has the fitting kit, so I'm expecting to have to buy that. But given how they hold their prices I'm treating as a separate purchase in terms of depreciation I'd expect to get back pretty much what it costs when I eventually sell the Z3 as I'd take it off and sell separately.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

I wrestled with the fact the Griff would live outside as I have no garage before buying, it was one of the main sticking points for me. The Z3 was garaged permanently so I was quite lucky with that.

Good point, you'll not lose money with it to be honest.. so if you can store it easily then probably a no brainer. Depends how often you want to use it though, I hardly drove the Zed with the roof up!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Another potential Z3 owner.

Post by OldskoolRS »

All sorted on the insurance and tax front, can't wait to pick it up tomorrow morning. 8-) All I've heard on the news all day is the high price of petrol and that the weather is wet this weekend...looks like I picked the wrong time to buy a 3 litre convertable. :D

Saw a hardtop on Ebay got for just over £500 in silver which wouldn't have looked too bad, but being new to Ebay, I thought I'd just watch this one to see how it went. I think I'll bid on the hardware first which I can install ready for when a hardtop comes up, then I'll be able to drive there and put it straight on. Sod's law means that once I've done this I'll find a hardtop complete with fittings. :D

Roll on tomorrow. :bounce:
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Best of luck with the new car and welcome to Zed ownership. Forget about the petrol cost, just enjoy! :P

Re the hardtop search - I am after one myself, but being in Belfast, and with the HTs on your side of the Irish Sea, I am probably going to buy remotely and have a courier deliver. :x
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks...I'm not too worried about the cost of fuel, just ironic that it's the subject of the news today, it's more the weather that's annoyed me as I'd hoped to be able to give it a good going over this weekend. :) I'm not going to be doing tens of thousands of miles a year in it as it's a third car so what the heck, might as well enjoy a straight six. :) At least it'll be ready for the spring when it arrives properly (or was this it last weekend? :D ).
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Now another Z3 owner.

Post by OldskoolRS »

Sun came out just as I arrived to pick it up this morning. I'd looked at so many last weekend I'd forgotten this one has a powered roof, which got me brownie points with the OH as she was very impressed with this feature. :) It's just as tidy as I remember it and a quick wash over when I go home, didn't reveal any more marks on it other than the single chip in the driver's door that I'd spotted last week. It could do with a polish, but I'll get round to giving it a claying and going over with my buffer when I'm not busy driving it.

Just took a friend out in it who has a TVR. He was very impressed with it considering what I'd paid. Really when driving it there is only a chip in the windscreen that would give a clue that the car isn't brand new, which is hard to believe for an 11 year old car.

...well happy. 8-)