Newbie with a new M Roadster

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Hello Boys and Girls,

I thought it would be right and proper to introduce myself in the relevant section before posting elsewhere, so here goes.

My name is Chris (obviously) and I've been on Bimmerforums and MX5.com for years. However, having recently sold my Alpina B3 (e46) and MX5 Sport (mk2.5) I am now the proud owner of a 1998 M-Roadster :D and a new member of this great little forum :roll:

Basically, I bought the roadster as a mini-project and to satisfy a long-standing itch of mine. Whilst, I've only done circa 200 miles bringing it home (trouble free!) I can quite safely say these are great cars, nothing like a big 6 in a 2-seater rag-top with no electronic aids.

Anyway, the car's been in the garage all week and work (and spending) has commenced - seats have been out, carpets valeted and leathers reconditioned, passenger door card is off and in process of fixing the electric window - awaiting the arrival of a new glass tomorrow as the fixing point for the slider was strangely missing :head: . Also lubed all the joints on the soft-top due to impending heavy usage :P

Anyway, looking forward to keeping you all informed on progress and asking questions as needed!

Gonna be selling a few bits and pieces to fund more work on the car, namely a set of original headlight units, some nearly new alacantra gaitors (1 month old) with M colour stitching, a very smart short (4" approx) stubby stainless aerial (NOW SOLD) and a blinding set of Storm Motorwerks Titanium goodies (NOW SOLD) - if you fancy registering interest early PM me :wink:
Last edited by chrisp_1 on Wed 13 Jun, 2012 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Newbie with a new M Roadster

Post by freds dad »

Hi Chris welcome to the forum. They really are a fantastic lot on here and there is always someone who can answer your queries no matter how irrelevant you think they are.

Also any pics of your new car

And you have PM re the bits for sale

FD
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

chrisp_1 wrote:Basically, I bought the roadster as a mini-project and to satisfy a long-standing itch of mine
I'm sure you can get cream for that sort of thing :wink: Although an ///M roadster will take your mind off it for a while :D

Welcome to the forum by the way, looking forward to some pictures.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Thanks for the welcome :squeeze:

Pics to follow when I get time to worry about polish and wax, just gotta get everything fixed and put back together first.

Questions to follow!
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

welcome to the forum chris.

just wait till you put your foot on the loud pedal, you will have a smile from ear to ear

regards corky :drive
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome Chris.......You might want to grab the Simota intake for the M which has just been posted for sale here. It'll make a huge difference to the sound as you tramp on it, it also does allow massive improvement in the air intake too and an improved performance.
Looking forward to your pics....... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Hi Southernboy,

Funnily enough just read that advert before your post,... tempted for a minute but the honest reality is that I'm not likely to use the car anywhere near the performance limits as they stand :lol: . Hence gonna be better to best spend my £££'s on practical maintenance first, I'm sure the sound would be nice and improved throttle response a hoot but I've only bought the car as a project TBH and I'd like the break even or even make a profit when the times right to move-on. For that to happen need to keep thinks pretty standard.

Chris
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Hi Chris and welcome

Whats your plans for the car? are you doing it up to sell on? These cars get addictive and can be hard to let go.. :twisted:

As said we need pics!!
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

@z3cade

Yes mate, that was the plan when I saw it for sale - I spent a summer doing MX5 tart up's a few years back and that worked quite well and gave me something to do at the time. Having always wanted to try an Z3m I saw this one and spotted my opportunity - but as you say, it could be hard to let this go after it's sorted - I am quite anal so it's gonna be nice when I'm done.

Anyone want to speculate what these are worth properly sorted, ie newly serviced, good tyres, brakes FSH with 60k on the clock, it's a 1998?
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Welcome,

Yep, the spending never stops :twisted:

The 'BEAST' 666
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

chrisp_1 wrote:@z3cade

Yes mate, that was the plan when I saw it for sale - I spent a summer doing MX5 tart up's a few years back and that worked quite well and gave me something to do at the time. Having always wanted to try an Z3m I saw this one and spotted my opportunity - but as you say, it could be hard to let this go after it's sorted - I am quite anal so it's gonna be nice when I'm done.

Anyone want to speculate what these are worth properly sorted, ie newly serviced, good tyres, brakes FSH with 60k on the clock, it's a 1998?
If its a minter about 8-9K

Remember these are going up in price not down
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

If there in top conditon the value is what people will pay for it.

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

@z3cade - thats interesting to know, thanks. An appreciating asset and still not turned 15yo must be quite rare in non supercar terms - even more of an excuse to keep it! :lol:
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

Hello Chris. We are new to this too. Just bought a 52 plate 3.0 litre roadster and it's awesome. Glad to hear it might improve in value if I look after it. Gotta get the seat bushes fixed which sounds like a common problem and I understand Aceman makes a kit at a good price. Also gotta get the rear screen replaced as its yellowed up and has a slight crack which will only get worse. Might go to ZFest at Silverstone in July (if I can afford the fuel!!).
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Hi Ollie,

A place near me charges £80 to fit a window supplied by customer, windows seem to be £125 upwards. Hence your looking at min' £200 unless you fit yourself.

I have been perusing soft-tops on ebay and ATM a guy is offering to fit a new roof in choice of colour for £350, somewhere near London - thats so cheap I'm tempted myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360422945224? ... 500wt_1185
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Hi Chris the Stormwerks goodies arrived today and will be fitted tomorrow after the car is serviced. If you are coming to the Silverstone event I will buy you a beer :cheers
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Is that the first-ever BMW ‘Z-Fest’ at this summer’s Silverstone Classic (20-22 July) :?:

I'm gonna buy this and take it along :shock:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3925183.htm
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

Not sure Chris. I understand it's a special one celebrating an anniversary. I've missed the 2for1 offer as it closed Thursday and I've only just found out about the ZFest. I emailed Silverstone to ask if they would extend the offer and they said no but have offered an infield pass in the regular price so we can still join in with the parade lap- probably take them up on that.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Didn't mean to ignore that last post sorry Ollie:oops:

I'm attending a party in London that weekend so won't be at Silverstone, unless I win the lottery and buy a Z8 in the meantime :roflmao:
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

Enjoy the... Lottery!