security

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
markbsac

blank

security

Post by markbsac »

hi again guys just wondered about the security of the z3 when i get mine it wil have to remain on the front drive all of the time...what sort of security features do they have and would you advise any extra thanks in advance
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: security

Post by TitanTim »

Apart from the standard alarm the only thing I have is a Stoplock Pro through the steering wheel, its the Z4 I worry about as could be taken by a baby!!

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The alarm is slightly different depending upon the age of the car, but both include interior, perimetric and tilt sensors. All Z3s come with an immobiliser as standard, with a chip in the key, which is read using an inductive loop in the ignition barrel (no battery in the key for this) - there are only about 10 possible keys for the car, and it would have been supplied with four of them - specific keys can be prevented from starting the car if they are lost or stolen. If the car is locked from the outside or using the remote, then the doors are deadlocked and cannot be opened by pulling the inside door handle, or by pulling up the pin (assuming you can get hold of it!). BMW fitted locking wheel nuts as standard, but of the wheels have been changed, these may have been lost. So reasonable security, but I am sure it can be defeated by someone who really wants the car if they have the right equipment.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
markbsac

blank

Post by markbsac »

thanks they sound pretty well secure any issues with the hood regarding security ...i suppose anybody can slash it if they want to get in or am i wrong ?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Yes, as with any ragtop, the hood is vulnerable to being vandalised/theft. Just don't leave anything on display. Both the glovebox and centre storage boxes lock, so lock anything away out of sight.

Slashing the roof will not help steal the car - the alarm and immobiliser will still work. The alarm does work with the roof down, but be careful as some (most?) insurers insist that you do not leave the car with the roof down.

Cheers R.
markbsac

blank

Post by markbsac »

thankyou guys you are all helping me with my decision now i just need to sort out the best engine ....the 2.8 made my insurance rocket so its prob gonna be the 2.2 been told to go for the straight 6....thoughts on this ?
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

I went for the 2.2, the sound of the straight 6 is superb :D, you won't be dissapointed but go for a test drive first. It's cost me £245 to insure this year :)
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

I personally don't worry about the convertible roof at all. I've had them for years and never had one vandalised (touches wood frantically) I think this whole thing regarding slashing roofs comes from the olden days :D And if someone wants to get in your car its a lot easier to smash a window than slash your roof! After all you can just pick up a rock/brick and smash a window, to slash the roof you need to come pre-armed with a knife.
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

TitanTim wrote:...... its the Z4 I worry about as could be taken by a baby!!
We know you can't bear to part with your Z3, but is this an obscure way to tell us you are expecting a family :?:
Or are the babies in Stafford just better at twoc-ing ? :twisted:
Image :devil:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

markbsac wrote:i just need to sort out the best engine ....the 2.8 made my insurance rocket so its prob gonna be the 2.2 been told to go for the straight 6....thoughts on this ?
Best advise is to test drive the different models, each model/engine variant has lots to offer, the decision you will then make will be on personal experience rather than hearsay. Not trying to be vague but what suits one does not suit all.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Titan wrote:
TitanTim wrote:...... its the Z4 I worry about as could be taken by a baby!!
We know you can't bear to part with your Z3, but is this an obscure way to tell us you are expecting a family :?:
Or are the babies in Stafford just better at twoc-ing ? :twisted:
Haha I'm too old for babies :lol:

No I'm thinking this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487

Sometimes it pays to drive around in an old car worth a few ££££s :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

so from the looks of that you can just program a blank using the car one your in....isnt that the same with the alarm on the z3
the badness makes me do it...!

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

swamper wrote:so from the looks of that you can just program a blank using the car one your in....isnt that the same with the alarm on the z3
Potentially, I guess, though don't forget that the Z3 has a physical key as well. Depends on whether you can derive the codes used from the car, or whether you need a working key to start with.

Cheers R.