New Z owner

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

New Z owner

Post by Pierrick »

Hi everyone, I'm new on the forum.

I'm french, I'm living in England for approximatly 3 years and I bought a Z3 a few weeks ago.

I use to do the maintenance on my car myself but I never owned a BMW. I'm sure you will be a great halp to find the right parts at the right price and give me plenty of advice to do the job properly.

Here is a picture of the car:

It'a quite clean for a 14 years old car. The steering is not really good, I think i need to change some bushes and probably ball joints... nut not now!

My first job on this car will be to change the accessories belt, see by yourself:
It looks like it has nevr been changed!!! Horrible! And while doing this, i'll probably change the water pump, thermostat...

See you later on the differents posts of the forum.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: New Z owner

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the Forum :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Welcome!

You'll find the z3 quite an easy and enjoyable car to work on..
Any info needed just ask and I'm sure we can help :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Salut Cousin.
Bienvenu à bord.

C
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Thanks for the answer. And special thanks to southernboy who send me a message to tell me Meyle is a good place to buy parts.

So I had a look on their web site, there is quite a lot of items for maintenance and others...I suppose they are aftermarket parts and hoppefully good quality!

Is anyone allready order parts from them?

There is no prices on the web site, apparently I need to e-mail the local retailer which is my case "Advanced Factors" (I'm living in Southampton). Did anyone on the area know them? And are the prices corrects? or expensive?

Thanks for you help.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi Pierrick

I fitted these to my 1.9 z3 in August. The quality looked good with 4-year guarantee. They came complete with OEM style rubber bushes and all new nuts and bolts. Many members prefer to use powerflex bushes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200762551643? ... 1497.l2649

http://www.powerflexshop.com/?gclid=COP ... tAodY3EAtg

Derek
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Thanks Del. I'll keep these links.

For the moment my priority is to change everything about the cooling system while changing the belt. And I'd like to find good quality parts but for cheaper than BMW!

For the wishbone, bushes and etc I found this on the internet:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/KIT-COMPLET-TRIA ... 4x1545.0.0

It' seems to be very cheap... but I don't know about the quality! Did anyone ever heard of them?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Southernboy is quite right in saying that Meyle has a very good reputation for "better than OEM" quality replacement spares. The original BMW waterpump is criticised for having a plastic impeller that can break up over time resulting in a possible blockage.

Original BMW (non-M) thermostats and waterpumps are around £45 each and decent non-BMW replacements seem to be around £30 - £35. The general drivebelt is around £10-£15 - Conti Tech seem to be the quality provider.

I changed my thermostat and belt at the end of last year and have put the Meyle waterpump on my "to do" ebay watch list for next year.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390404123153? ... 97.c0.m619
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Ok. I think I'll send a mail to my local meyle retailer as soon as possible and order what I need.
And I've seen a few conti Tech belts fo sale but didn't know about the qality, so thanks for that as well!

And when you changed you thermostat, did you changed only the thermostat or the whole thing? (thermostat ans housing)

Thanks.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The thermostat is integrated with the housing and so the whole thing needs to be changed. However, my advice would be that if your thermostat housing is not damaged or leaking and the temperature gauge moves to 12 o'clock inside 15 minutes (and stays in that position) then you probably don't need to change the thermostat. I only changed mine because the temperature gaurge was bearly moving out of the blue zone.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

My thermostat is working fine, I just wanted to change wile I was changins the rest... but it's 50£ from BMW, same from meyle... and i found cheaper but not sure about the quality! So it might stay as it is now!

I want this morning to the local retailer and water pump is 32£ and belt 13£... I forgot to ask for the tentionner :head: !!!
Prices are really good, I'll probably order everything from them.

I want to empty all the coolant, do I need a new sump plug and/or a new washer?

Thanks
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi guys.

Water pump, thermostat, belt and tentionner are all changed with new bolts and coolant.

Next are the gearbox and differential oils.

Where do you usualy buy your oils and which brand? Mobil1, castrol, carlub??

Thanks.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Pierrick wrote:Where do you usualy buy your oils and which brand? Mobil1, castrol, carlub??

Thanks.
Hi Pierrick,

I used Opie oils to purchase my oils, http://www.opieoils.co.uk. If you do use them, mention Zroadster.net when you are checking out and you will get a 10% discount.
  • Engine Oil - Fuchs TITAN GT1 XTL 5W-40 synthetic engine oil
    Gearbox Oil - Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic manual transmission fluid
    Diff Oil - Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W 140 (Formerly SAF-XJ 75w-140)
Best bet is to speak to them direct, they will advise and oil types for your specific car and qtys required.

I have also noticed that http://www.eurocarparts.com are having various promotions at the moment, it is maybe worth giving them a shot too. PARTS25 entered at the checkout will give discount off various items.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Ok. Thanks, I'll have a lok at this.

Anyone else with other advices?
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi everyone.

Does anyone has a photo of the spark plug socket which should be in the boot with the jack etc... I'm missing it and I'd like to buy the same as the original one!

I also realised I need it to unscrew a bolt to have access to my spare wheel! I have others tools at home who can do the job but not in the car at all times!

Thanks for your help.
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Pierrick wrote:Hi everyone.

Does anyone has a photo of the spark plug socket which should be in the boot with the jack etc... I'm missing it and I'd like to buy the same as the original one!

I also realised I need it to unscrew a bolt to have access to my spare wheel! I have others tools at home who can do the job but not in the car at all times!

Thanks for your help.
Here it is here http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 4938512736
That is a new one from BMW Direct but you can find them second hand on EBay. I found myself a screwdriver for the tool set to make it complete.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Ok thanks. Im' sure I'll find a second hand one somewhere!
By the way, do you have the complete list of tools on the original "tool box"?

Thanks.
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

hi and welcome
if you look on e bay there are a few tool kits on there.
it will show you what you should have
cheers mick :)
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi micklaw, I founed what I needed. Thanks.

Today I also changed my expension tank, I took a few picture... i'll post later.

Just a question, how to be sure there is no air left in the cooling system? The hose on the top right (when watchine the engine from the front) is really hot, as it should be, but after a few miles driving the one on the bottom left was warm but not as much as the other one... I don't have any air coming from the bleeding screw when I open it but just want to be sure!

Thanks.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi everyone, did anyone here installed a strut brace bar on a Z3??

I know mine is only a 1.9L and it's not really usefull... but it's just for the look if I can find a cheap one!

Thanks;