New to the forum (but not to BMW)

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

New to the forum (but not to BMW)

Post by Lewy »

Hi all, if you haven't guessed my name's Lewy and I've just picked up a 1998 2.8 Z3 as a project. Some may have seen me around at the shows with my E64 645 'vert but I've just taken a deposit on it and decided to scratch that itch as I've wanted a Z3 ever since Goldeneye! :D :D Anyway, I paid £1700 with 128k on the clock and whilst it needs a bit of tlc, overall it's a good car and I think I got a good deal.

Here are some pics of my new purchase (next to my 6er):

Mod edit
Lewy, being newly registered I've edited your post to remove the link. Welcome to the Forum - Gazza

I'll start a project thread shortly but the plan is to change the wheels to 18" with a much wider track, then look at brake conversion, improve the handling, replace all bushes and then start to look at more power once it feels more trust worthy round the bendy bits!

No doubt you guys will have a fountain of knowledge and I'll no doubt be tapping into the knowledge as we go along!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: New to the forum (but not to BMW)

Post by TitanTim »

Welcome to the forum Lewy, congrats on the Zed, they really are a great motor to tinker with and mod :lol: Nice 6 series with the Schnitzers :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Thanks for the warm welcome Tim, sad to see the 6er go but genuinely having more fun driving the Z3 if I'm honest. It'll look and feel like a totally different car by summer next year and I'm really looking forward to getting busy on it.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Lewy wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome Tim, sad to see the 6er go but genuinely having more fun driving the Z3 if I'm honest. It'll look and feel like a totally different car by summer next year and I'm really looking forward to getting busy on it.
Looking forward too seeing what plans you have and remember to post lots of pics :D

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Will do mate, as soon as I have my first update I'll get the project thread underway :wink:
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Welcome to the forum Lewy. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Zed.

Might even see you around as we are in the same part of the country (roughly) :)
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Thanks Mint, I was over in Stafford earlier for a committee meeting, I race model cars at the St Leonards site, the Z3 was grateful for me stretching it's legs :lol:
Keefboz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keefboz »

Welcome from a fellow newb, looking good, but get rid of that chrome ;)
"Drive it like you stole it.... then pay your tickets"
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Keefboz wrote:Welcome from a fellow newb, looking good, but get rid of that chrome ;)
Thanks! And agreed! Not a fan myself, I've got a colour scheme in mind for the new wheels and I'll probably match the side grille too. Probably going for a gunmetal centre with a bronze colour dish on these wheels -

And so will go for grey grilles and bring out the bronze colour in the mesh, as this isn't my daily drive I don't mind going a bit mad on the colours :D
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Yes, good idea, it doesn't need it. A bit, shall we say, superfluous?

Welcome from a fellow 2.8er!

Cheers, Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome from :sunny South Africa...Looking forward to you project thread...You've probably been on the site before as a guest and noticed that it's one of the best, so you should have lots of fun and support here.
Don't paint the Chrome grills, they fetch a price on eBay (USA)...rather sell and buy painted ones and still have change...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Welcome Lewy, nice base car to start the modding and them wheels should look good on the zed :D

Your not far from me, I'm only over in Telford hopefully see you around 8-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm afraid it looks like you have bought a lemon there. It appears to be suffering from that age old problem "intermittent blurriness". It is going to need quite a bit of work to fix this. First of all you need some nice weather... always difficult in the UK... then you need to actually finish cleaning it whilst it is still daylight... I know, I know, there is always that last little bit to clean... and finally you need to drive it... in which case you won't have time to take photos. :D

Joking aside, it looks a nice clean example. Welcome to the forum, Lewy.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Haha, thanks for the welcome Robert! Yes I'm afraid those photo's weren't the best, but then as it's caked in crap and looking very standard, I kinda didn't care! :D :D :D

@g8jka - Yes mate, I live on the A41 on the way out of Wolverhampton so very close, thanks for the welcome and no doubt there will be some midlands meets in due course :D

@southernboy - thanks too for the welcome and good info on selling the chrome grills, I'll do just that!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Welcome Lewy

The 2.8 is a great first zed, had one myself :D
Looking forward to your progress thread! Those wheels look great btw 8-)

Keep us posted with plenty of pics!
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Welcome Lewy, nice car to start modding, the 2.8 has a lot of potential :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage