New Z3 owner from Scotland

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Mike_1986

blank

New Z3 owner from Scotland

Post by Mike_1986 »

Hi all, im MIchael 27 from Fife, Scotland.
Well after driving MR2s for over 6 years and also a Celica GT4 for a year i knew my next car had to still be a sports car. (especially since no plans for future kids.lol)
Anyway decided on the BMW z3 as it was within my budget plus doing a few google searches it has some fantastic reviews. Also it seems a car you can still repair most things yourself without always having to plug into computer or take to the dealer like the modern cars these days.
Have attached pics below (will try use photobucket link in future). its the 1.9 16v model, as you can see it is in very good condition!

Bought it back in December and have had no problems. Except a slightly seized front caliper which i will try sort soon and replace if necessary. Also the exhaust system seems very rusty so planning on replacing all of it. Which brings me to the questions if anyone has used this performance back box i am thinking of buying and would they recommend it? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-1-9-CO ... 35c27fc521 was also considering the Cobra back box?

Finaly other cars i was tempted to buy but didnt
Porsche Boxster- great car and ticked all the boxes, good value for money. But still £5000 for a decent one. decided to pay extra off mortgage instead
Mercedes SLK- another good car, but still bit pricey!
Mitsubishi 3000GT- Looks amazing, drives amazing. But just try and find one thats a Non turbo and Manual. With Tax and MOT.lol
Toyota MR2- Was tempted to buy a newer MK2 in excellent condition but again like the 3000GT hard to come by.lol
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New Z3 owner from Scotland

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Kike...WELCOME and well done mate...you'll enjoy the Z3. They're practically "bullet proof" and loads of fun.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Welcome :wink:

There very easy cars to work on, enjoy it.

Won't be long till you'll start adding your own personal touches and mods :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Welcome Mike

I spotted that exhaust system the other day - it's new to ebay. From the pictures/description it looks decent quality and well made. Good price also - the Cobra system is twice that. In my experience the original 1.9 front exhaust section tends to stay in good condition, failure of the cat being the main reason for renewal.

Cobra have a Youtube clip of their cat back system on a Z3 1.9.
Mike_1986

blank

Post by Mike_1986 »

thanks for warm welcome guys. kl yeah iv check out the youtube clip. Might put up a seperate post of the new exhaust system when fitted.
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Welcome. I'm just along the road in Alloa so will maybe see you on the road sometime !
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Greetingz,

welcome to zee forum :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Welcome Mike.

Nice car, and nice colour!

I was thinking about these back box as well... please let us know if you buy one and how it goes!

There is one question I was asking myself about the double exit... does it fit in the opening on a 1.9 rear bumper??? I think you should check before to buy!
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Welcome Mike

I have a similar history to you with two previous Mk2 MR2's that I loved but they are getting too old now and all are starting to have rust problems if not really well pampered (and not many are) so I also made the change to a Z3 1.9.

I'm also looking to change my pipe and have been considering the Cobra - simply because of the fitting service and the vid on YouTube - which give more confidence that off the shelf unseen etc.

That said there have been some good results posted on here using fabricators

Good luck and post your final decision here - interested :)
Last edited by Sp1key on Fri 08 Feb, 2013 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

welcome mike im just after purchasing a z3 aswell out in the glasgow area hopefully will get to see it in an upcoming scottish meet thats hopefully being arranged shortly.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Usual plug for the BMWCC Scottish region, there will be at least a couple of Zeds and assorted Ms at this meet

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_p ... rling-meet
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

A big welcome from Wales Mike. Looks a great example, my first z was a 1.9,loved it to bits. :)
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

welcome to the madhouse mate ...... :D my first zed was 1.9 like yours and I loved it 8-) moved up in class and love it even more 8-)
Mike_1986

blank

Post by Mike_1986 »

hey all, Good to see many members from far around.
Plus since joining the site have seen some fantastic examples of the Z3 and modifications that can be done. Dont have much plans for mods at the moment but open to ideas. The first thing i will be doing once the exhaust sorted is CD player fitted.lol

Sp1key i know exactly what you meen. Was bit like that with my MR2.
Last edited by Mike_1986 on Thu 28 Feb, 2013 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

I have ordered the Cobra box, arrives by Fedex on monday (25th feb). Mine needed replacing for MOT, I wanted a bit of a "note" but not some obnoxious noise (i'm a little scared it will be the latter). I'll let you know next week!
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

RichP wrote:I have ordered the Cobra box, I'll let you know next week!
Yessss!
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

cobra is on. part 1 of reviewing it is here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36885

:)

so far so good really, but i'm yet to properly test it out.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
BlackBeautZ

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BlackBeautZ »

Hey Mike - Welcome mate, lovely looking Zed nice colour proper Goldeneye James Bond looking in the film.

The Zed is the best car I have ever owned, its a part of me won't be long before you start tailoring it to your own taste like most of us mine use to look like yours then I turned it into a mean Zed.

Kris
Kris
Black BeautZ

Mike_1986

blank

Post by Mike_1986 »

well time for an update i got the exhaust system sorted today. Didnt change the manifold as it looked in good condition on closer inspection.
Did fit new gasket and oxygen sensor. New cat and bought a used but in good condition cobra back box.
Cheers for showing me that link for the Cobra back box Rich will have a look at it and add my comments.
Kris thats a fantastic looking Z3. Excellent example of where a cars alloys realy suit the car.

Will add pics soon of work done. As for seized caliper i think its sorted after a short drive today testn it but will take a longer drive tomorrow and see.
Mike_1986

blank

Post by Mike_1986 »