Another one...

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Another one...

Post by ZedAintDead »

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while on here and finally got round to registering as I'm looking for some advice, I know, the cheek of it! :P

Always fancied a sporty car, something a little different, but I've been into bikes as well and they always seemed to get priority, last one was a white 2008 Kawasaki Z1000, I must like the letter Z...
I got married in October and had to sell the bike to free up some cash and don' t think I'll have another bike for at least another year, she's got a bit more protective of me since then! :wink:

So, a mate who runs a garage got a 2002 2.2i in recently, in black and even though I've only seen it in passing I'm really tempted! It's got 104K on the clock, assuming the service history is up to scratch (will hopefully get round to see him later in the week and will confirm that) is there anything major I should be looking out for? I think I can pick it up for around £3k.

The car looks absolutely mint, love it in black and it's got the chrome gills which really set it off.

How do people rate the 2.2 compared with the 1.9, 2.8 or 3.0?

I work close to home so I shouldn't be putting massive miles on it, although we would probably use it to drive to Ireland once a year. I'm Irish originally but been in the royal county of Berkshire for the last 10 years or so.

Congratulations on a fantastic forum by the way, seems to be a great community and I've been admiring some of the modifications and accessories!

Thanks!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Another one...

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the Forum :)

Zeds are usually bulletproof, the 2.2 is a great engine.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome to the "Z"oo....As Gazza says...nice motor...and the mileage isn't an issue if it's been cared for / serviced etc. Things to look for...
1. Check the stitching around the rear plastic window...if it looks frayed, or any broken stitches etc.
2. Check the general state of the interior upholstery and plastic trims, carpets, floor mats etc
3. Check if it has an electric opening roof. If it does make sure it's working.
4. Check the roof to windows is waterproof....these cars shouldn't leak water into the cockpit.
5. Test drive and make sure you use a bumpy road...listen for rattles behind the seats - could be rear shock top mounts - also over bumpy road, feel the tightness of the steering wheel / steering arms / bushes. If they're worn, you'll feel the bump of them as you move the wheel from side to side gently.
6. Check the condition of the brake discs...best do it before you test drive while they're cool....If you put your fingers through the rims and feel the outer edge of the discs in front, there will be a wear ridge, but it shouldn't be excessive (not more than 3mm) You can see the rear disc and check the same way.
7.Check the side skirts for rust, and any other body damage/ stone chips especially on the bonnet and front spoiler areas.
8. Check the boot interior isn't damp.
9. When you go to see the car...make sure that the seller has not "warmed up the motor"... It must be stone cold!!! Open the bonnet and ask him to start the motor and let it idle...no revving!!! Listen to the motor while it's idling for any knocking, rattling, metallic engine noises...it should be smooth turning. Go around to the exhaust and listen to the exhaust...any hiccups are a sign of misfires which have any number of causes including sticky valve lifters, sticky valves etc...
10. check the tyres for wear...uneven wear could signal poor alignment, or possible previous damage in an accident.
11. Check all the instruments / switches / lights / hooter / wipers / bonnet release handle etc etc.
12. when you go for a test drive...turn the radio OFF!!! Listen to the car...
13. Check the car documentation...if it's incomplete in any way, request the details of previous ownership so you can conduct a check.
14. Don't smile while you drive...difficult in a Z3...but do your best ! And don't agree to the asking price....offer at least £700 below the asking...you can always settle on £2500.

Good luck !!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Wow, awesome welcome, thank you very much guys! :)
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Welcome! The 2.2 engine note is one of the best.. 8-)

Go for it!!! :D 104k is nothing if its got full history
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Southernboy wrote:Welcome to the "Z"oo....As Gazza says...nice motor...and the mileage isn't an issue if it's been cared for / serviced etc. Things to look for...
1. Check the stitching around the rear plastic window...if it looks frayed, or any broken stitches etc.
2. Check the general state of the interior upholstery and plastic trims, carpets, floor mats etc
3. Check if it has an electric opening roof. If it does make sure it's working.
4. Check the roof to windows is waterproof....these cars shouldn't leak water into the cockpit.
5. Test drive and make sure you use a bumpy road...listen for rattles behind the seats - could be rear shock top mounts - also over bumpy road, feel the tightness of the steering wheel / steering arms / bushes. If they're worn, you'll feel the bump of them as you move the wheel from side to side gently.
6. Check the condition of the brake discs...best do it before you test drive while they're cool....If you put your fingers through the rims and feel the outer edge of the discs in front, there will be a wear ridge, but it shouldn't be excessive (not more than 3mm) You can see the rear disc and check the same way.
7.Check the side skirts for rust, and any other body damage/ stone chips especially on the bonnet and front spoiler areas.
8. Check the boot interior isn't damp.
9. When you go to see the car...make sure that the seller has not "warmed up the motor"... It must be stone cold!!! Open the bonnet and ask him to start the motor and let it idle...no revving!!! Listen to the motor while it's idling for any knocking, rattling, metallic engine noises...it should be smooth turning. Go around to the exhaust and listen to the exhaust...any hiccups are a sign of misfires which have any number of causes including sticky valve lifters, sticky valves etc...
10. check the tyres for wear...uneven wear could signal poor alignment, or possible previous damage in an accident.
11. Check all the instruments / switches / lights / hooter / wipers / bonnet release handle etc etc.
12. when you go for a test drive...turn the radio OFF!!! Listen to the car...
13. Check the car documentation...if it's incomplete in any way, request the details of previous ownership so you can conduct a check.
14. Don't smile while you drive...difficult in a Z3...but do your best ! And don't agree to the asking price....offer at least £700 below the asking...you can always settle on £2500.Good luck !!14.
Hi and Welcome
And that above was only a starter for ten :lol:
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Fingers crossed on the service history!

Nice V Rod Boysie!
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Welcome from a 2.2 Sport owner. As Liam says the straight six engine note is one of the best - I love it :D I bought mine in Sep 2011 for £4k with 132,000 on the clock, FSH and everything worked as it should. I know prices have plummeted since then so if you can get it for £2.5K as southernboy suggests you won't be disappointed. Best of luck and don't forget to post the piccies when you get it :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Just to add the only common area of rust is the bottom front of the rear arches where there is a dirt trap.

2.2 are probably the best all round Z3s and usually command a bit of a premium, if its the sport model even better.

Welcome on board

Ps be careful dropping the hood in this weather. Get the car warmed up first and drop the hood at the end of the test drive or you will crack the rear screen :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Welcome chum. Look on the Z3 knowledge base for other tips on what to look for when buying a Z3. I did, very helpful.
Anything by Mike Fishwick is worth reading and taking on board!

All the best,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Thanks guys, so much knowledge on here, it's brilliant!

Mint - I do quite like the blue yours is finished in, that would be my fallback colour if I can't get a black one! ;-)
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Jonttt wrote:2.2 are probably the best all round Z3s and usually command a bit of a premium, if its the sport model even better.
Good to hear that Jonttt - I'll have to quote you when (if) I sell mine :wink:
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

ZedAintDead wrote:Mint - I do quite like the blue yours is finished in, that would be my fallback colour if I can't get a black one! ;-)
It's an individual special edition Sport in Agean Blue - more pics here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=33153 :wink:
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Really nice Mint, not seen one in that colour before!

Went to see the Z3 today and it wasn't good, no service book and lots of little issues, smelled damp (leaky roof), no stereo, etc.

So, back to the drawing board!
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Keep looking and you'll get a good one. Best of luck :wink:
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Another one... The search is over!

Post by ZedAintDead »

Picked up a topaz blue 2002 2.2 Z3 with hardtop last night! She's got full service history, pretty much standard so I have the freedom to do some subtle mods!

I've got a few little jobs to do:
- drivers seat goes back and forth but doesn't go up or down, the motor is trying but it seems to be stuck. Will have a look tomorrow but if anyone else has been through this I'd appreciate any insight!
- one of the bulbs in the console behind the fan speed knob has died, of the the 3 heater controls only the left 1 and a half are lit

I'll get some pics up later, been cleaning her this morning and the missus and I are heading out for a drive now in the sunshine, happy days!!! 8-)

Cheers!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Another one... The search is over!

Post by Robert T »

ZedAintDead wrote:- one of the bulbs in the console behind the fan speed knob has died, of the the 3 heater controls only the left 1 and a half are lit
There are only two bulbs, so only one has blown. Plenty of info on here about changing them - there are two routes in - either through the stereo aperture or via the driver's (right-hand) footwell panel - when I did mine I finished up removing both to get the panel our at one of the bulbs was stuck, but provided that yours aren't I think that is probably the easiest route.

I have a worse job to do - the backlight on my odometer display has blown and I'm not looking forward to trying to extract the instrument cluster to replace it.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Robert T wrote:I have a worse job to do - the backlight on my odometer display has blown and I'm not looking forward to trying to extract the instrument cluster to replace it.

Cheers R.
I would rather do the odometer Robert, at least you will have knuckles left after doing it :D The heater bulbs are a PITA.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Brian H wrote:I would rather do the odometer Robert, at least you will have knuckles left after doing it :D The heater bulbs are a PITA.
Ah, yes, so I believe, but I have done the heater bulbs and would do them again now as I know what to do, but if I muck up the odometer, I may have an unusable car! :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

A couple of photos on the way home this evening, absolutely loving the car! :)

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Glad you got sorted out, car looks really nice, welcome to Zedding :wave Are you joining us at Silverstone in July?
[/url]
ImageImageImage
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Hi Seasurfer,

Thanks, it did take a little while but it was worth it! 8-)

Yes I booked Silverstone earlybird tickets on the last day of the offer so we'll be there, really looking forward to it!

Cheers!
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Welcome, nice Zed like the colour :)
ImageImage
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Thanks Captain!

Driver's seat now fully functional thanks to advice in previous posts, plenty of WD40 this morning did nothing, so had breakfast and browsed the forum for tips.

Loosened the front bolts on the seat rail, jiggled it a bit, the rear bolts were unbelievably tight and couldn't get them undone, sat in the seat, brought the back upright, brought the base all the way back and forward twice, tried to lower seat and it worked!

Will remove the seats at a later point and grease them up properly.