New owner from Manchester

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
ali200sx

Z3 roadster 2.8

New owner from Manchester

Post by ali200sx »

Hello everyone, just purchased my first z3.
Its a 2.8 1998 r reg auto in montreal blue, really chuffed with the car and will post some pics when I get the chance.
The previous owner informed me the front calipers were sticking and on inspection the pads are completely worn to the metal which has put grooves in the front discs so have just ordred 4 new disks of mtech on ebay.
I was a little confused as to which pads to order as I belive there are a couple of different caliper makes on the z3? If anybody could let me know which they are on mine without me removing the wheels as it is a little cramped in the garage, that would be much appreciated. :)
Thanks and I look forward to future advice and banter on here.
:)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New owner from Manchester

Post by Southernboy »

A good choice of Z3...and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of info in the Z3 Knowledgebase...or just ask... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Hi and welcome,
Where abouts in Manchester are you? North or south? There's quite a few northwest Z owners. Keep meaning to see if anyone fancies a northwest meet :D
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Hi from wirral, just down the road! well, about 50 miles down the road. the m56 road.

:wave
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
ali200sx

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ali200sx »

Thanks for the friendly replies guys and all the way from Johannesburg, cool.
Im actually now in Rochdale but am quite close to Manchester and used to live there, Rochdales not the best of towns! lol and there is a little confusion as to whether im in greater Manchester or Lancashire or both?
I have just been scouring the site trying to find info on the brakes etc.
Its been a while since ive had a fast car and the 2.8 even as an auto does seem really quick, then again I have been driving an old Nissan van for a while.
I used to have a modified 200sx s14a around 10 years ago and the z does seem just as quick!
Again thanks for the niceness! any info on the caliper types/make would be appreciated.
kind regards
was :)
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

how do :wink:
im just down the road in oldham....

one of the brake gures will be along shortly but ..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-2-0-2- ... 359fc2563e

and check your part numbers here
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?ki ... ECE&arch=0
the badness makes me do it...!

ali200sx

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ali200sx »

Thanks swamper will check that out in morning, love the Oldham accent lol, :D
Your zed really nice, what colour is that?
ali200sx

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ali200sx »

That should say 'looks' really nice lol, I sound like a cave man, bedtime for me :D
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Estoril blue.....
are you coming to CITP with us...theres a few of us running from over this way?
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 78#p347678

Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi and welcome from another 1998 2.8 Montreal Blue owner. What colour is your interior, and options list, extras, mileage, plans etc.? We need to know this stuff!

All the best,

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Welcome from yet another 1998 2.8 arctic silver owner, post some pics of your car :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

welcome to the madhouse mate , we don't bit that hard .......... you could do the big brake upgrade on your 2.8. the same as the 3.0i and the M ....
Pep

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pep »

Hi Ali, welcome from another Manchester zedder! I'm in the city centre though so definitely Greater Manchester here.

You've just reminded me of my Mum's old 200SX, a metallic purple one. I think it was the first fast car I'd been in so brings back fond memories, even though I was only around 12 at the time so the closest I got to driving it was being sent out on cold mornings to start it and get it defrosted!

If you're interested there's a meeting not too far from you at Newby Hall at the start of next month so if you're interested check out this thread.

Oh, and about the nice greetings from Johannesburg, SB is just lulling you with amicability before he taunts you with tales of how warm and sunny it is in SA!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Pep!...you're far too judgemental...It's Autumn here at the moment...and that means the rains have departed...the skies ar big and blue, the sun is the only object up there to shatter an otherwise clear sky... :D :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Its a welcome from me too :wave best zeddy too, 1998 2.8, not sure about the colour though as black is best :D :D (only kidding, well, sort of :D :D :D :D )

I think Southern Boy is just down the road and says he has all this sun, and autmn zeddying in t-shirts on empty roads, tut tut :D i havent seen any pics to prove :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

SS...I've been bogged down at home for a couple of days...just had my driveway uplifted and remodelled so I can get in and out the garage without the front spoiler scraping...So, tomorrow is the test day...I've got to go out for a meeting and I'll know if my driveway is Z3 compliant. And about the pics...I'm planning a drive out this weekend to a mate who has a small yatch on a dam about 90km out of town...if the weather is as good as it has been lately, I'll post some pics. You can sit there in front of your fire and dream... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Hi and welcome from another ex 200sx owner. I had 2 of them and a Sylvia turbo before that then falling in love with a couple of 300sx. I think I was middlehursts best customer lol
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Pep

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pep »

SB - I was rejoicing this morning when I heard the temperature was finally due to reach a sweltering 14 degrees this weekend!

The downside? It's going to rain all the way through :head:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

14!! that is warm...PCSAM would have got the sunblock out already... :D
So sad...if it's not snowing...it's raining...If it's any comfort, it's raining here today too..so, no top down driving today it seems. :bawl:
"Normal is overrated"

ali200sx

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ali200sx »

lol, at all the funny comments, I might come to the north west meet sounds good, Would want to sort all the bits on the z3 beforehand though, finally got the disks and pads done, and have just picked up a hardtop in boston green, waiting on a couple of dry days so I can take out the seats on give it a good wet vac and shampoo, have been reading about the seat bush renewal so might aswell do that at the same time.
Will post some pics in the photo thread, trying to get to grips with a new camera so should turn out good I hope.
Yeah the 200sx was soo tail happy, nearly killed me the first day I bought it :o
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

ali200sx wrote:... and have just picked up a hardtop in boston green,

:shock: that would look much better on mine :D but you're okay I don't want a hardtop.

Big Zed welcome from me - sunny Wigan - well sort of clouded over Wigan today but dry, so still top down weather.... 8-)
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
lowriderz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lowriderz3 »

HI I live in MIddleton and also have a 2.8 Z3 mine is manual.My son <Z4 coupe> and I are thinking about going to Newby Hall on the 5th of May. Would be interested in meeting you there with the other fellow Z owners.
Happy motoring in your new purchase.
Ps Have you tried Brakes International in Rochdale for your brakes?
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

lowriderz3 wrote:HI I live in MIddleton and also have a 2.8 Z3 mine is manual.My son <Z4 coupe> and I are thinking about going to Newby Hall on the 5th of May. Would be interested in meeting you there with the other fellow Z owners.
i tried Brakes International in Rochdale last year...never again..... they supplied M3 rear brakes for my M roadster....and tried to stand by there claims that they were the right ones..and to back it up there software tells them the same..there not.

were having a run into Newby from over this way (im in Oldham) if you fancy the run in?

ali200sx

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ali200sx »

lowriderz3 wrote:HI I live in MIddleton and also have a 2.8 Z3 mine is manual.My son <Z4 coupe> and I are thinking about going to Newby Hall on the 5th of May. Would be interested in meeting you there with the other fellow Z owners.

Thanks that's really kind of you people, Funny I used to live in Middleton for around 6/7 years,
I am away that weekend so will have to give it a miss at Newby Hall but will hopefully meet you guys at another meet.
My friend needs someone to drive his lovely porsche 911 turbo to Nice in the south of France! so I couldent say no :) .

I was going to go brakes int but ended up ordering off ebay, disks from mtech and cant remember who I got the pads off.
I thought one of the front calipers was sticking when I purchased the car, it happened to be the front pads were worn to the metal and then some! It now has new disks and pads all round.