New Z3 owner from Glasgow

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

New Z3 owner from Glasgow

Post by Lexybhoy »

Hi all, bought myself a 40th b/day present this week, a 1998 2.8 in 303. Other than getting the wheels refurbished, and maybe a private plate, I'm not planning on doing much to the exterior as I think it looks pretty good. One small ding on the drivers door to sort but other than that there doesn't appear to be another blemish on the car at all. Quite pleased about that.

The interior needs updating though, looking at coloured hockey sticks but I may hold off until I update the centre console also. The old owner sold the car to me with a colour matching handbrake gator but I won't be fitting this until I've sourced a new handbrake and at the same time, a short shift gear stick. StormWerx seem to be favoured on here so lets see.

The previous owner bought a quad exhaust from a forum member on here, for the most part it sounds great, it's probably a tad too loud for me at low revs so looking into exhaust flaps for two of the pipes.

Less rambling and more pictures you say ? Please feel free to be honest and of course happy to hear your suggestions on what needs doing to the naked eye.

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New Z3 owner from Glasgow

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome on board buddy....I like the roof / body contrast and red/black interior....... Looks to be a neat example and I noticed you have all the requisite clear lensed light fittings. Seems the previous owner spent a few bob on little upgrades etc.
Looking at the car, I have only one personal crit...the chromed side vents.....not my favourite on a dark paint job, but each to his own. The quad pipes look really good, and should have been standard on all the Z3's IMO. The interior looks good condition but a tad "black" looking forward.... again a personal taste thing. My car was completely black when I got it, and I've now changed the trim by re-upholstery and re-dyeing, and now - to me - it has the feel of a roadster "style". If you google "Z3 roadster interior images" there are piles of pics to look at and perhaps some inspiration on what direction you might like to go with yours....
One last comment...I've often wondered if the windscreen pillars shouldn't be colour coded to the roof.... just a thought...try photo-shopping it and see if it will improve the "finish" of the appearance ??
Anyhow, happy motoring...... :sunny
Barry
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Congratulations on buying a super looking car.

I must say that red seats are a favourite of mine :wink:

Is that a Hillman Minx I see in the background?
Last edited by TR4man on Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

[quote="Southernboy"]Looking at the car, I have only one personal crit...the chromed side vents.....not my favourite on a dark paint job, but each to his own.

Great looking Zed............love the quad exhausts. 8-)

Only a suggestion and a first for all Zed's; you could consider changing the side vents to colour RED to bring the whole colour combination together.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-1997-S ... 234545bf4c

Just a thought which will probably cause up roar to the Z3 purerists :twisted:

Good luck with the new car.

PS. I have nothing to do with the Ebay sale
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

TWO wrote:
Only a suggestion and a first for all Zed's; you could consider changing the side vents to colour RED to bring the whole colour combination together.

I take it that you never kept that appointment at Specsavers then? :lol:
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Southernboy wrote:Welcome on board buddy....I like the roof / body contrast and red/black interior....... Looks to be a neat example and I noticed you have all the requisite clear lensed light fittings. Seems the previous owner spent a few bob on little upgrades etc.
Looking at the car, I have only one personal crit...the chromed side vents.....not my favourite on a dark paint job, but each to his own. The quad pipes look really good, and should have been standard on all the Z3's IMO. The interior looks good condition but a tad "black" looking forward.... again a personal taste thing. My car was completely black when I got it, and I've now changed the trim by re-upholstery and re-dyeing, and now - to me - it has the feel of a roadster "style". If you google "Z3 roadster interior images" there are piles of pics to look at and perhaps some inspiration on what direction you might like to go with yours....
One last comment...I've often wondered if the windscreen pillars shouldn't be colour coded to the roof.... just a thought...try photo-shopping it and see if it will improve the "finish" of the appearance ??
Anyhow, happy motoring...... :sunny
Barry
Hi Barry, thanks for the welcome.

The previous owner did indeed upgrade the lights, interior LED too. He also fitted a simona induction kit. I quite like the chrome vents, I wouldn't go black I don't think. Apparently you can never go back :wink:
The interior definitely lacks something, maybe hockey sticks or Alu centre console. I quite like the windscreen pillars when they're in chrome, I don't think I've seen colour matched ones to coloured hoods, other than black of course. :shock:
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

TR4man wrote:Congratulations on buying a super looking car.

I must say that red seats are a favourite of mine :wink:

Is that a Hillman Minx I see in the background?

Hi TR4man, thanks for the welcome.

There's quite a bit of space in the arches but I'd never get around to lowering it. Yeh seats are nice, I would've much preferred if they were heated mind ! :?

It is indeed a Hilman minx, here it is this summer when I drove it for a wedding...

[img][IMG]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s37 ... 88e375.jpg[/img][/img]
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

TWO wrote:
Southernboy wrote:Looking at the car, I have only one personal crit...the chromed side vents.....not my favourite on a dark paint job, but each to his own.

Hi TWO, thanks for the welcome, yeh the quad exhausts really make driving it quite fun, even a low speeds. I'm not sure I could put up with the volume if it were my daily driver mind.

Those vents look really good I think, don't think they're the same shade of red as the roof though. They don't look as expensive as the chrome ones either imo.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi :wave. I do like your wheels. Seem somewhat familiar!!
Enjoy your car and enjoy the forum. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Davejue1 wrote:Hi :wave. I do like your wheels. Seem somewhat familiar!!

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome.

The wheels are the first thing on my list. I plan to visit a refurb place in East Kilbride, apparently they are THE people to see.

Have you had reason to get yours refurbed ?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Lexybhoy wrote:

Cheers
Dave

The wheels are the first thing on my list. I plan to visit a refurb place in East Kilbride, apparently they are THE people to see.

Only one tho they had been done by the previous owner. They are shadow chrome now, a black Base then lightly coated in silver. I'd be intrested to know the J rating on your fronts as mine are to wide and have a slight tyre stretch on them which I'm not keen on. :)

Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Davejue1 wrote:
Lexybhoy wrote:

Cheers
Dave

Only one tho they had been done by the previous owner. They are shadow chrome now, a black Base then lightly coated in silver. I'd be intrested to know the J rating on your fronts as mine are to wide and have a slight tyre stretch on them which I'm not keen on. :)
Dave, You were speaking a language I could understand up until J rating and tyre stretching. Where do I look for this, on the tyre ? Inside the alloy ?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi and welcome from me. Black car and red roof is certainly a less common and striking combination - like it. All this talk of Hillman Minxs is making me nostalgic - my late father had a "super minx" with the eyebrows back in the 1960s. :)
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Del wrote:Hi and welcome from me. Black car and red roof is certainly a less common and striking combination - like it. All this talk of Hillman Minxs is making me nostalgic - my late father had a "super minx" with the eyebrows back in the 1960s. :)
Hi Del,

Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the Hillman specifically because my Dad had one. I dont like the Super Minx face unfortunately, especially the eyebrows. Each to their own though. There's so much space in the standard Minx, I've often wondered why the Super Minx was thought of, then I think, how come there's so much space in this wee car, and I remember......It's a death trap, that's why !
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Have you had reason to get yours refurbed ?[/quote]

Only one tho they had been done by the previous owner. They are shadow chrome now, a black Base then lightly coated in silver. I'd be intrested to know the J rating on your fronts as mine are to wide and have a slight tyre stretch on them which I'm not keen on. :)[/quote]

Dave, You were speaking a language I could understand up until J rating and tyre stretching. Where do I look for this, on the tyre ? Inside the alloy ?[/quote]

Sorry! Yeah it's on the inside of the wheel. It tells you the width of the wheel. I think mine is 8.5 and is to wide. My tyre is 215 which should be a 225 but because of the J rating would rub on the inner arch so the previous owner put 215's on and had them stretched across the wheel. This shows excess rim which I don't like. It's an American thing. :)

Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Davejue1 wrote:Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome.

Only one tho they had been done by the previous owner. They are shadow chrome now, a black Base then lightly coated in silver. I'd be intrested to know the J rating on your fronts as mine are to wide and have a slight tyre stretch on them which I'm not keen on. :)[/quote]

Dave, You were speaking a language I could understand up until J rating and tyre stretching. Where do I look for this, on the tyre ? Inside the alloy ?[/quote]

Sorry! Yeah it's on the inside of the wheel. It tells you the width of the wheel. I think mine is 8.5 and is to wide. My tyre is 215 which should be a 225 but because of the J rating would rub on the inner arch so the previous owner put 215's on and had them stretched across the wheel. This shows excess rim which I don't like. It's an American thing. :)[/quote]

I've been out and checked with the iPhone torch. 17X8JJ with 225x45zx17's.
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Hi and welcome

Best exterior colour bmw ever made.....I'm biased tho...

The colour just pops when the sun hits it

Mine has Arizona sun and black nappa.....it's the way to if you are changing the interior.....oh and you get the z3m roadster seats which are all heated.......

Been out in mine today....top down,seats on.....big grin on my face 8-)

Enjoy your zed
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Topperz wrote:Hi and welcome

Best exterior colour bmw ever made.....I'm biased tho...

The colour just pops when the sun hits it

Mine has Arizona sun and black nappa.....it's the way to if you are changing the interior.....oh and you get the z3m roadster seats which are all heated.......

Been out in mine today....top down,seats on.....big grin on my face 8-)

Enjoy your zed
Hi Topperz, thanks for the welcome.

Yes heated seated were top of my list originally, but that went out the window when I heard the quad exhaust on this car.

Retrofit an option, but unlikely if I'm honest, the E Class and my wifes C class have them, just need to saw the roof off of one of them and I'm sorted :lol:
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

TWO wrote:
Southernboy wrote:Looking at the car, I have only one personal crit...the chromed side vents.....not my favourite on a dark paint job, but each to his own.

I bought them, I'll post pics and decide whether they're keepers or not.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Lexybhoy, thanks for checking. That's the size I'd like on mine. Mine are 18-8.5 JJ which is just to big for the car. Really need to get them advertised and drop to a nice chrome rim 17" Oooooooooooh brilie, are you selling me your wheels yet! :D

Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Looking at these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0815372968 on eBay, any thoughts ?
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Lexybhoy wrote:Looking at these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0815372968 on eBay, any thoughts ?
BUMP, anyone ?
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Congrats on the car. I'm down in East Ayrshire and I just bought one at the first of December myself. A silver 2.0. Big change from my previous car of 9 years a 420 hp evo 5. Enjoying it though. Much more sedate. Will see how it handles the ring and Spa next year.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Lexybhoy wrote:
Lexybhoy wrote:Looking at these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0815372968 on eBay, any thoughts ?
BUMP, anyone ?
They are similar to the ones I have on my 2.0l - note, if you are buying them for the angel eyes then be warned the angels can only be seen in the dark - youd be better off fitting a pair of angels to your standard lamps
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Lexybhoy wrote:
BUMP, anyone ?
They are similar to the ones I have on my 2.0l - note, if you are buying them for the angel eyes then be warned the angels can only be seen in the dark - youd be better off fitting a pair of angels to your standard lamps
Thanks Bertiejaffa,

Yes that was the reason I was considering them. I've seen reference to the angel eyes you speak of on here in numerous posts, but I haven't actually been able to categorically say, 'thats the ones I need and there's the link for it!'
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ask g8jka... he has fitted quite a few after market rings to the standard lights - his journal has a recent post of the latest ones very recently in "Gallery". To open the standard lights it is 15 mins in the oven at 150 degrees (I think)

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27537&start=150
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal