Cinders

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Cinders

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote: Maybe powerflex don't have droplink bushes, but I replaced all bushes I could with poly and I am very happy. Didn't replaced bushes on roll bars, but probably will do that too later. I have poly bushes for two years, no problems since. Car feels stiffer, maybe even a little bouncier than with rubber bushes. I think it's common conclusion on z3 forums, that replacing rubber bushes with poly is improvement. The only bush you should keep OEM is differential bush, poly bush may increase car vibration at idle. If I wouldn't want to keep the car in long term, I wouldn't switch to poly (oem parts are cheaper), but I plan to keep that car for long period of time, so I invested in poly bushes - they also last much longer.
I too plan to keep the car for a long period which is why I want to get the handling sorted. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I should get the parts replaced and be able to report back with news. I had originally just planned to replace the dampers and strut tops in the spirit of doing one adjustment at a time, but having seen the drop links' condition it doesn't make sense to leave them unchanged. Powerflex is certainly a consideration for the main ARB bushes which will be the next thing on the list, although the ones on the car currently don't look damaged or worn (I'm sure they are though).

I know that the trailing arm bushes need replacing too as when the alignment was checked it was out at the back and this is the way to correct it. That looks like a fun job which is why it's at the bottom of the list :shock:
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

bertiejaffa wrote: Sounds like you are making progress though :D
Thank-you, even though it's on axle stands at the minute I know it's in way better shape than it was when I bought it.

I'm off work for a few days now and immediate jobs for tomorrow are:

Waterproof treat the hood
Fit new wheel sensors
Fit the new struts, mounts and drop links (and some rear brake pads)

I then need to go for a good drive to see a) if I have any ABS or traction control and b) if the back end is still so jumpy. This time I won't attempt this in the rush hour :oops: as it means I may have to drive a bit like a hooligan :shock:

After that I need to get to the bottom of Ediabas in the hope that I can find out why the fuel consumption is so high :shrug
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Keep us informed :)
I like this thread, it's nice to get the feedback and also see the progress :)
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Wookee wrote:Lots of wind and rain yesterday and everything looks to have stayed dry apart from a few spots on the seats that are in random places and I think were forced through gaps by the strong wind.
Maybe you need to adjust door window - http://test2013.z3-forum.de/forum/downl ... php?id=649
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:
Wookee wrote:Lots of wind and rain yesterday and everything looks to have stayed dry apart from a few spots on the seats that are in random places and I think were forced through gaps by the strong wind.
Maybe you need to adjust door window - http://test2013.z3-forum.de/forum/downl ... php?id=649
Actually, it came through the nearside window (the good side) I suspect, due to the way the car was parked, and I think it was just the stormy conditions vs a convertible car that forced a few drops through. I didn't get to waterproof the roof today as it was frosty this morning and by the time it was dry enough there wouldn't have been enough time for it to dry properly before tonight's dew :head: . Besides which I was busy with other things- see below.

The car is obviously drying out as both the pillow and the salt trays need drying every day and as the sun gets on it the condensation forms on the windows. I didn't get a photo of it, but the condensation is all concentrated on the offside window and the same side of the windscreen.

Thank-you for the link though as I know I will have to adjust the offside window, I'll just have to brush up on my German first so I can read it!! :rtm: :lol:
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Right; so today I was going to do some jobs- but in true style Cinders threw several spanners in those works. :head: Though the weather wasn't entirely her fault meaning I couldn't do the weatherproofing. The good news is that I have fitted the wheel speed sensors :) even though they did put up a bit of a fight.

Here's a tip folks:- If you buy a car that has one wheel on an axle with new brake pads and one with old ones then you need to investigate. If you do you might find this-

ImageIMG_20160128_100244485

I have no idea how long this has been seized and it got more interesting when I removed the caliper and not a drop of brake fluid was found in it :shock:. I have (had) a firm pedal so I'll scratch my head over that one for a bit.

Then I took the drum off and found out why my handbrake wasn't holding the car very well

ImageIMG_20160128_151957300
ImageIMG_20160128_151949432_HDR

So, that'll be nothing holding the handbrake mechanism to the backplate then :shock:. It was just being held in some sort of place by the lip on the drum part of the disc.

The observant among you may notice that the back plate is knackered :lol: so I thought I'd pop to Mr BMW and order some then go back home and work out how to get the old ones off :puzzle:. The answer is that you have to take off the hub and this may damage the wheel bearing when you do that. This was a good time for Uncle Tone to pop round and we made an attempt or ten to get the nut undone without anything like success :lol:. The main problem was that the nut is so shallow and the sockets we had all had chamfered ends so they won't grip. :head:.

The new plan we formed was to leave the backing plates on and when the bearings need doing I'll go to a garage and get them to do it and change the plates at the same time. At the minute the bearings are fine.

I had also ordered a pair of calipers from a breakers up north for the princely sum of £39 delivered next day (they are £255 EACH from BMW and £110 from Eurocarparts :!: ), but at ten to five they decided to call me and tell me they didn't have the parts after all :head:. So I got on the phone to BM Bitz in Canvey and they have a pair :thumb: so I'll be heading down there tomorrow to pick them up.

I need the pair because this is the 'good' one :lol:

ImageIMG_20160128_183925681
ImageIMG_20160128_183938623

I'll also be getting some fixings for the handbrake as I think it'll work better fixed to the backing plate :wink:
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

After dealing with the brakes I went back to my original list and after getting the sensors fitted I thought I'd do the drop links. Here's another tip folks- Google is your friend, and you should look for the 'How-to' guide first when tackling a new job :rtm: :lol:. This would have saved me the half hour I spent trying to get one off with the ARB still attached to the car. Common sense should have told me that the ARB is a spring and therefore offers little in the way of resistance when you're trying to get a very tight fitting bush off :head:.

This guide https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z3-r ... -links.63/ tells you how to do it. You have to take the whole ARB off the car and change the links on a bench.
deni2s wrote: Maybe powerflex don't have droplink bushes, but I replaced all bushes I could with poly and I am very happy. Didn't replaced bushes on roll bars, but probably will do that too later. I have poly bushes for two years, no problems since. Car feels stiffer, maybe even a little bouncier than with rubber bushes. I think it's common conclusion on z3 forums, that replacing rubber bushes with poly is improvement.
As I will be taking it off now I thought I might as well change the ARB bushes for Powerflex ones and have eventually found a stockist in Saffron Walden who I'll include in a round trip tomorrow if they have any in stock. I'd really like the car back on the road by Saturday afternoon as I'm off to a friends for the night and there are lots of winding country roads on that route- gotta test the traction control somewhere :D
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Those breaks don't look good. Good thing that rear breaks are not so important as the ones in front.

I had another surprise when I got the car with a spacer on one wheel. Found out that some part on one side was from narrow z3, so spacer compensated the difference :/

I found out just yesterday that my new windscreen is scratched with my new bosh aero wipers somehow :/ Probably with ice or maybe some dirt/sand came here. I will try to polish it out, don't know how it will go, and I hope that there will be no problems at local MOT.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Probably too late now but look at the last updates on my 2.0l journal thread below my signature - I recently replaced all my brakes - bought old ones from Andy (Spursfaninacoupe) on here and had them shot blasted. I then bought a refurb kit and paint from a company called BIGGRED (http://www.biggred.co.uk/) and now they are perfect - and as you mentioned, for a fraction of the price of new ones from BMW.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

bertiejaffa wrote:Probably too late now but look at the last updates on my 2.0l journal thread below my signature - I recently replaced all my brakes - bought old ones from Andy (Spursfaninacoupe) on here and had them shot blasted. I then bought a refurb kit and paint from a company called BIGGRED (http://www.biggred.co.uk/) and now they are perfect - and as you mentioned, for a fraction of the price of new ones from BMW.
I picked up two calipers for £40 and they're in great shape. I will probably get the old ones shot blasted and paint them, along with some other parts I take off when it comes to that time. All the brakes are back together now and should be working a bit later when Uncle Tone gets here to help me bleed them. I couldn't get any Powerflex bushes yesterday and will have to order them now and therefore I won't bother taking the ARB off until they arrive. I need the car running this afternoon for a trip, so I'll just change the struts and top mounts. At least this way I'll be able to see what improvements they make on their own and then be able to compare that with how it feels with the new bushes and links.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

The brakes are done and actually work now! I think the ABS and traction control are working too.... I need emptier roads to make sure :wink:

I changed the top mounts and struts and found that the existing (probably original as they are BMW marked) top mounts were just fine, no breaks or cracks etc

ImageIMG_20160130_115456689

ImageIMG_20160130_115504957

Just because I like showing some gratuitous pictures of rust (and I think many readers secretly like seeing a bit of rust :lol: ) here are the old and new struts:-

ImageIMG_20160130_115543213

The new one has a slightly thicker rod- 17mm as opposed to 16mm, and although a bog standard replacement they were way stiffer when pumped and got stiffer as they are supposed to the more they were pumped. Of the two that came off the nearside one was noticeably softer. The first short test had it feeling quite a bit less nervous, I'm expecting it to improve as when I got home I realised I had forgotten to re-connect the ARB drop links to the wishbones :oops: .

I took advantage of some sunshine to slap a load of waterproofer on the hood too :)
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

My wife thinks I'm mad as on a rainy morning in Essex I took this photo:-

ImageIMG_20160131_111013787

Having rained off and on all night Cinders had a hood covered with beading water that was just rolling off :) .....and.....not a drop inside :D :D

I'll be slapping some more Fabisil on when I get a dry day as I have loads of it left and I might as well make sure it stays protected for a while.

To recap on the leaks I had and the cures:-

Antenna leak causing my tilt sensor to live in it's own swimming pool- solved by replacing both grommets and making sure they are seated correctly.

Hood to body seal not seated correctly and adding to my swimming pool/boot- solved by pushing it in firmly so it clicks.

Rear window cracked- I used some roofing joiner's tape for at least a temporary fix. I may replace this in future with some window plastic so that I can see through it.

A-pillar leak on offside- solved with a bicycle puncture repair kit

Roof gutter leak, this was by far the worst one as the water was overflowing onto the parcel shelf and into the boot and then settling into the battery tray- This one was a simple fix as the blockage was caused by one of the bolts holding the hood on being loose in the gutter. Removing it and putting it in it's correct place greatly reduced the water getting in and when it did it was able to flow straight back out.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

On my trip I got to test out the handling a bit, it was dry going there last night and wet this morning coming home all on twisty nationals. The brakes are nice and sharp though I haven't tested the ABS properly yet. It should be working as the traction control definitely is, I'll have to put some bulbs back in the dashpod to make sure.

The rear end has improved slightly which I would now describe as a 'twitch' instead of a 'shake' and I still have no tramlining. I am wondering if making it stiffer with new ARB drop links and polybushes will improve things further, but I will change them just to see. Sometimes the feeling is like traction control kicking in and I'm also thinking this might be what is happening :shrug ....but I can't tell as I don't have a bulb. Does anyone else experience this twitch and have the ASC light come on? Another reason I'm thinking this is because it was much more pronounced in the wet conditions than the dry.

The plans for this coming week are to plug my laptop in and see what error codes I've got now and to see if any of them can explain my shocking fuel consumption.... 22mpg is my best so far :shock:. I have no smell of fuel now and am open to suggestions as to what could be causing it :puzzle:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

So you want to say that waterproofing roof improves something? I am wondering because I have 19 years old roof and I tried to waterproof it just once but didn't see any point in doing it as my roof is not leaking with or without protection. And it's on both 19 years old cars. Roof is so old that it started to disintegrate - stitches, but still not leaking anything.

ASC works if you are pressing on gas and car doesn't accelerate as usual (revs not going up). The easiest way to check is on the sharp corner on low gear when you can have most torque. I the clean fresh snow I could press gas pedal all the time and car was going about 10 miles per hour with asc light on all the time :)

Let me know the error codes, before making assumptions.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:So you want to say that waterproofing roof improves something? I am wondering because I have 19 years old roof and I tried to waterproof it just once but didn't see any point in doing it as my roof is not leaking with or without protection. And it's on both 19 years old cars. Roof is so old that it started to disintegrate - stitches, but still not leaking anything.
Without weatherproofing the water doesn't bead and run off the hood. Instead it does what tents do and they 'wet out' where they just hold the water in the material until conditions change and it dries out. It wouldn't appear as a leak, the interior of the car would just feel more damp. For what it costs it is well worth treating a hood with some waterproofing.
deni2s wrote:ASC works if you are pressing on gas and car doesn't accelerate as usual (revs not going up). The easiest way to check is on the sharp corner on low gear when you can have most torque. I the clean fresh snow I could press gas pedal all the time and car was going about 10 miles per hour with asc light on all the time :)
That's sort of right. When the ECU detects a loss of traction to both driven wheels it reduces power to them until traction is regained. When traction loss is detected in one driven wheel the ecu applies the brake to the wheel that has lost traction until it regains it. Mr BMW explains it here.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/tec ... ty_control

Now, if the ASC kicks in because one wheel loses traction and the car corrects itself it is possible you would get a jerk as this takes place :shrug. If it is the cause of the twitch then making the back end stiffer isn't going to help matters, it's likely to have the opposite effect. At least I think it would :puzzle: :)
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

A bit done in the past week- Both the laptop and a handheld code reader show NO errors currently on the car :D.

Having had a read it seems that the main causes of poor fuel economy are driver enthusiasm, a sticking brake caliper and air intake problems. Well, I know I don't have any of the latter two so I've been curbing my enthusiasm and driving like Miss Daisy to see how that goes. At the moment it's looking good (150 miles to half a tank as opposed to 200 for a full tank :shock:)).

Using it as a daily driver has highlighted a new problem with a bit of stiffness getting into 1st and 2nd sometimes. So a change of gearbox (and diff) oil is added to the list. That'll be a job for next week as I have to work this week. I'll get all 4 wheels off the ground and do the oil, plus a fuel filter and exhaust clamp then the ARB bushes that I've finally managed to get hold of.

I've also managed to source a pull handle so I might put my door card back on soon. The only trouble is it's (the handle) beige and not black. Does anyone know the correct paint to use? :shrug

In other acquisitions I've got my hands on a wind deflector, some window material for a repair and two bulbs for the dash to get my ABS and ASC lights working :)
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Yesterday I dodged the showers to try and see if I could get my rear window a bit clearer. This is how it started:

ImageIMG_20160207_113035518

After doing some searchinbg it seems the chosen method is to use some Meguires polish and a polishing wheel, so £11 on Amazon got me this (not the drill):

ImageIMG_20160207_113148767_HDR

Now, it did take some trial and error to see what worked and in the end I ditched the drill and just used a cloth to apply it and another to remove it. It's not massively clear in the photo how much it is improved, but there it is a fair bit clearer. I concentrated my efforts on the left side as you look at it. When the weather dries out I think I'll try some washing up liquid on the worst parts then polish it again.
ImageIMG_20160207_142113129_HDR
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Great to see that you already sorted most things :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

have you got the photo's mixed up. the first looks clearer than the last one

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

gookah wrote:have you got the photo's mixed up. the first looks clearer than the last one
I realised they look that way when I posted, but that is down to the angle of the sun. You can see the improvement from the dark horizontal line across the middle. Driving in the dark this morning it was very noticeably better :)
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:Great to see that you already sorted most things :)
The bulbs are in now, and the ASC button works too :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Wookee wrote:I've also managed to source a pull handle so I might put my door card back on soon. The only trouble is it's (the handle) beige and not black. Does anyone know the correct paint to use? :shrug
http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_interior.htm
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Wookee wrote:I've also managed to source a pull handle so I might put my door card back on soon. The only trouble is it's (the handle) beige and not black. Does anyone know the correct paint to use? :shrug
http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_interior.htm
Thanks for the link.... I should have been clearer though. I meant the type of paint to paint a door handle?
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I would just buy new black door handle it shouldn't be expensive.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:I would just buy new black door handle it shouldn't be expensive.
You'd like to think so.... £84 +VAT from BMW for just the handle and it's very difficult to get a breaker to split one from a door card- which would cost me £60 +shipping :cry:
William P

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by William P »

You can use Halfords plastic bumper paint or indeed any other type of bumper paint as they do not require a primer. Also it is the same handle as an E36 saloon, coupe, touring etc so that could be another option. :)
William P

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by William P »

Sorry just realized it's the pull you are asking about so ignore the reference to E36 :oops: :oops: :oops:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Wookee wrote:
deni2s wrote:I would just buy new black door handle it shouldn't be expensive.
You'd like to think so.... £84 +VAT from BMW for just the handle and it's very difficult to get a breaker to split one from a door card- which would cost me £60 +shipping :cry:
Which side do you need? I have one spare used RHD passenger side pull, which should be yours drivers side.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

William P wrote:Sorry just realized it's the pull you are asking about so ignore the reference to E36 :oops: :oops: :oops:
Consider yourself ignored :D :wink: .... but thanks for the suggestion, I had checked this out already so did know it wasn't a match :cheers
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote: Which side do you need? I have one spare used RHD passenger side pull, which should be yours drivers side.
Thank-you for the offer, but I have one on it's way for a tenth of the BMW price and I think this will be cheaper than posting from Latvia :cheers
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I plan to visit UK in April or May, just in case ;) Probably London and Nottingham, so I can take some parts with me and maybe buy other parts in UK :)
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Hi there, fantastic thread so far. i am in the same boat as you, with a recent z3 purchase in need of some serious love!!

I too have leaks galore in the car, just ordered a gasket for the third brake light, along with a new grommet for the aerial. However my question for you is, where exactly are these bolts you talk of for holding the roof to the body, and how do I gain access to them? is there a method to gain access to tighten as I swear my battery swimming in water is down to same issue as yours, please help me!! hahaha
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

also where is the drain for this rear piece in the photo? cant work out where it is? you say its behind your shoulder yes? there is a drain point there?

Sent from my iPhone
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

kjb1 wrote:Hi there, fantastic thread so far. i am in the same boat as you, with a recent z3 purchase in need of some serious love!!
Fortunately they're not too expensive to love! :D

I've answered your questions on your thread :cheers
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:I plan to visit UK in April or May, just in case ;) Probably London and Nottingham, so I can take some parts with me and maybe buy other parts in UK :)
I'll let you know how my planned repair works out.

I've had a bit of a nightmare tryin g to get hold of a wind deflector and have ended up with the wrong one :head:. My fault for not checking that there are two different widths.....so if a 750mm wind deflector is one of the parts you'll be looking for I know where you can get one! :wink:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Wookee wrote:so if a 750mm wind deflector is one of the parts you'll be looking for I know where you can get one! :wink:
Probably I will be looking for one, but I didn't know either that there are differences in width (I do know there are different types of deflectors). Do you have a picture of what do you have and what's wrong with it?
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:
Wookee wrote:so if a 750mm wind deflector is one of the parts you'll be looking for I know where you can get one! :wink:
Probably I will be looking for one, but I didn't know either that there are differences in width (I do know there are different types of deflectors). Do you have a picture of what do you have and what's wrong with it?
When the correct one arrives I will take a photograph of the differences, but meanwhile RealOEM will show which one is correct for your car.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

In the good news/bad news tradition that Cinders and I are going through....

The door pull arrived and is in excellent nick so with some of the suggested car bumper paint on it I should finally be able to get round to putting my door panel back on.

I have achieved the dizzy heights of 28.2mpg!! :shock: :lol: This was done by driving like Miss Daisy and with three motorway trips so I can't see me staying at that level too often. Anyone else here have the same engine (M43TU) and can tell me what sort of mpg or distance between fill-ups they are getting? :shrug

I have sourced the correct size wind deflector (I hope) and that should be on its way.

I now have a few days off where I plan to get the car back up on stands (weather permitting) and sort out the rear end bushes. At the same time I will be changing my gearbox and diff oil. Having done some reading around the correct oils to use, again I would appreciate someone 'in the know' with my model with the correct fluids to use.

And now for the bad :(

Just as I arrived at my destination 40 miles from home today there were some strange noises from the front and heavy/whirring steering. After parking there was a large deposit of oil under the car and the bottom of the engine was soaked in it (I had just come off a motorway). No oil warning light though and a brief look told me that I no longer had the required amount of power steering fluid inside the car as most of it was on the ground or on the underside of the engine. :head:

I drove it home as the M25 is more or less straight and I'll be investigating where the leak came from when it stops raining. Anyone know the most likely culprit? From my initial research I've only seen cars that have had tiny leaks from cracked pipes....mine wasn't tiny. :bawl:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Wookee wrote:When the correct one arrives I will take a photograph of the differences, but meanwhile RealOEM will show which one is correct for your car.
You do have roll hoops as you have facelifted car? I am interested in a wind deflector for car without roll hoops. I think there were only 2 types of OEM wind deflectors for that.

Type 1:

Type 2:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Wookee wrote: Anyone know the most likely culprit? From my initial research I've only seen cars that have had tiny leaks from cracked pipes....mine wasn't tiny. :bawl:

Mine was a small split in the pipe at the nut end where it goes into the pump, But I dumped half of my fluid out of it turning a few corners.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

gookah wrote:
Wookee wrote: Anyone know the most likely culprit? From my initial research I've only seen cars that have had tiny leaks from cracked pipes....mine wasn't tiny. :bawl:

Mine was a small split in the pipe at the nut end where it goes into the pump, But I dumped half of my fluid out of it turning a few corners.
Thanks for that, I did see your thread I think and didn't think it possible that a crack so small could cause such a mess in such a short space of time :shock: which is why I thought/think mine is not the same.....the investigation commences soon :rtm:
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:
Wookee wrote:When the correct one arrives I will take a photograph of the differences, but meanwhile RealOEM will show which one is correct for your car.
You do have roll hoops as you have facelifted car? I am interested in a wind deflector for car without roll hoops. I think there were only 2 types of OEM wind deflectors for that.

Type 2:
See, that's what I thought. I don't have roll hoops and this one in the photo above is the deflector I bought thinking that it can be the only one for my car. Unfortunately it isn't as the pins are too far apart to fit in my holes by about 50mm. So I checked Real OEM and that has a different part number shown for my car. All of the genuine ones I've seen for sale are this wider one and by chance I found someone selling a narrow one that I now have on it's way to me.

The wide one is part number 8215 9407 972 (and this is the one I will be getting rid of)
The narrow one is part number 8215 9415 972

They look exactly the same except that the pins are on an angled bracket under the corners of the deflector. When mine arrives I will post up photos to show the difference.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Oh, that's very good info, thanks! I don't have any holes yet, so I can fit any of them? But I will also need all the fittings too.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:Oh, that's very good info, thanks! I don't have any holes yet, so I can fit any of them? But I will also need all the fittings too.
I suppose that depends on what space you have? I don't know why you wouldn't have the fittings already in place :shrug. There were two holes in mine with some plastic caps on that I just levered off and all the fittings are underneath.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

In today's exciting instalment I found the source of my power steering leak- It was a rusty pipe that goes from the pump around the back of the sump to the steering rack on the nearside. There was a split about an inch long. A casualty of leaving the car standing in a damp environment I guess as the pipe really was in poor condition. The RealOEM diagram isn't overly clear which bit it is and even the BMW parts guys were scratching their heads. After a couple of phone calls it seems it'll be £190 for a replacement from them :shock:. So I took it to a company called Pirtek who specialise in making these sorts of pipes and they say they'll make me one for tomorrow for less than half the price. :D

So then I attempted to get my rear ARB off so I can fit the bushes and I've been stumped by the bolt in the photo below that holds the spare wheel carrier on and I can't work out how to get it off as it needs to drop down so I can wiggle the bar off. Anyone know how it comes off?

ImageIMG_20160215_163641682
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

I know you have had some replies as to how to get the bolt out.
If you change the drop links either front or rears the horizontal bolt that secures the drop link to the bracket on the suspension arm must be tightened up when the car is back on it's wheels. If not there is some twist put into the lower bush when the car is lowered off and this causes premature failure of the rubber.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Brian4 wrote:I know you have had some replies as to how to get the bolt out.
If you change the drop links either front or rears the horizontal bolt that secures the drop link to the bracket on the suspension arm must be tightened up when the car is back on it's wheels. If not there is some twist put into the lower bush when the car is lowered off and this causes premature failure of the rubber.
Thanks very much for that, I wasn't aware :cheers. That should be interesting trying to get my arm underneath when it's back down :puzzle: I think I'll probably drive it up on my ramps.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Wookee wrote:
deni2s wrote:Oh, that's very good info, thanks! I don't have any holes yet, so I can fit any of them? But I will also need all the fittings too.
I suppose that depends on what space you have? I don't know why you wouldn't have the fittings already in place :shrug. There were two holes in mine with some plastic caps on that I just levered off and all the fittings are underneath.
You are not talking about the big side holes for roll bars where wind deflector type1 is fitted? I don't have other holes and I know that for fitting Type2 a few holes must be drilled in plastic and some more serious fittings installed underneath.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

deni2s wrote:
Wookee wrote:
You are not talking about the big side holes for roll bars where wind deflector type1 is fitted? I don't have other holes and I know that for fitting Type2 a few holes must be drilled in plastic and some more serious fittings installed underneath.
I am talking about the Type 2 ones which are already in place in my car, then there are two different sizes of this type. Hopefully my new one will arrive tomorrow and I can show what I mean in pictures.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Good old Uncle Tone and his pair of massive Stihlsons sorted out my ARB and the new bushes/links :D. Plus I picked up the new power steering hose, the company made it entirely from flexi with the correct ends and the restricter from my old one fitted to the centre of the new one. I've fitted it loosely for the time being and it's a bit long but will be clipped up when I'm done. At a third the price of a BMW one I'm happy...so long as it doesn't leak. The bloke who made it builds his own race cars, so I'm fairly confident.