Newbie alert

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
l3ggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Newbie alert

Post by l3ggy »

Good morning.

I've been after a bit of a project for a number of months and finally picked up a 1.9 Z3. I'm based in Scotland, out in the countryside, 6 miles from nearest shop.

Its a 1997, silver with 79000 miles on the clock (with a private plate which I'm looking to get shot of!). Picked her up for £850, MOT expires July 2016.

Overall condition is ok. My pics are too big so I'll get them reduced and uploaded shortly.

I've already striped, cleaned and refit brakes with new calipers in the front. Exhaust back box also replaced as it wouldn't have survived the winter.

Wee bit of surface rust on either side of sills and rear arches. Nothing more than that though. Alloys need attention so they'll be done probably 1st week in January.

Jobs to be done:

Slow electric windows
Drivers seat moves when driving, and when the seats are out give the interior a deep scrub
Remove stereo and fit with new dab/android compatible
Replace passenger wing mirror (held on by tape!)

For all these jobs I've found the threads and they look idea.

Steering wheel removal and replacement, anyone got a decent link? I've looking to replace the over sized original one with a smaller, airbag-less model. Looking to fit it and ensure airbag warning light doesn't come on. Anyone?

Spark plug replacement and oil/filter on list to do. Fuel filter has also been done.

Think that's it for now. Oh and hood. Need to purchase a decent replacement and fit a cracker free one. Mines doesn't leak, but small cracker has led to it be unusable.

Looking forward to z ownership and hello :wave
l3ggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Newbie alert

Post by l3ggy »

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, welcome to the forum, you will find loads of info here to help you along. Is it just the rear screen that has cracked? - if so you can replace just the window as opposed to the complete hood. I have an undamaged n/s mirror for sale, the plug has been cut off (suspect the previous owner couldn't be bothered to remove the door card to unplug it!) but you could solder the end from your old one. The sill panels on yours simply unbolt allowing them to be cleaned / de-rusted off the car, they are purely cosmetic. Wheels will look a treat refurbed. Sounds like you are going to be busy this winter!!

All the best, BB
l3ggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by l3ggy »

bentley-boy wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum, you will find loads of info here to help you along. Is it just the rear screen that has cracked? - if so you can replace just the window as opposed to the complete hood. I have an undamaged n/s mirror for sale, the plug has been cut off (suspect the previous owner couldn't be bothered to remove the door card to unplug it!) but you could solder the end from your old one. The sill panels on yours simply unbolt allowing them to be cleaned / de-rusted off the car, they are purely cosmetic. Wheels will look a treat refurbed. Sounds like you are going to be busy this winter!!

All the best, BB
Cheers for the welcome BB

Excellent information re sills.

What colour is the mirror? How much? I have seen the thread with the new improved replacement ones which I've considered getting.

It is just the rear window, the rest of the hood looks ok though need a good wash and condition.

Wheels I'm going for a Matt Black finish.

Thanks again for the welcome :D
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, Mirror is silver although the base bit needs spraying to colour with an aerosol as it has been stripped to bare metal and primed in twin pack due to a bit of paint damage. £75? They regularly fetch £100+. Re your rear window they are a zip in unit and I've seen them on ebay for £71 (not OEM though), it's worth looking on ebay de (German site) as sometimes you get things cheaper. I bought an 'as new' set of M tech sport springs for £30 odd purely as spares having paid £120 for just one new front spring that broke on the bottom coil. Others on the site speak well of these cheaper screens. I'm sure others will be along to greet you shortly after the mince pies and turkey have settled and boredom sets in :D . What size rims are you running? - they look like 18 inch?

Regards, BB
l3ggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by l3ggy »

Yeah 18"

I'll check out eBay. Springs are on the list too but later in the year. Just need her to be ready for the spring :)

Rear glass in a must though, especially with all this wet weather!

I can't move from all the turkey and ham I've eaten....and the alcohol!
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

l3ggy wrote:Good morning.

I've been after a bit of a project for a number of months and finally picked up a 1.9 Z3. I'm based in Scotland, out in the countryside, 6 miles from nearest shop.

Its a 1997, silver with 79000 miles on the clock (with a private plate which I'm looking to get shot of!). Picked her up for £850, MOT expires July 2016.
Hello, sounds like we've done the same thing as mine is pretty similar. As yours is 4 years older than mine have you enquired about putting it on a classic insurance policy? I'm still finding it very strange that a car I remember coming out new is virtually a classic and they're being bought and sold as projects.....old age has arrived I guess :shock: :lol:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not half as strange as me. The car I bought new is turning into a classic!

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
l3ggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by l3ggy »

Wookee wrote:
l3ggy wrote:Good morning.

Hello, sounds like we've done the same thing as mine is pretty similar. As yours is 4 years older than mine have you enquired about putting it on a classic insurance policy? I'm still finding it very strange that a car I remember coming out new is virtually a classic and they're being bought and sold as projects.....old age has arrived I guess :shock: :lol:
Didn't inquiry about classic insurance. Added a second car to my current policy. It is a bit mad ain't it.

Looking forward to a couple hours of dry weather to get interior stripped out.

Wheels coming off next Tuesday for a refurbished. Matt black.
l3ggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by l3ggy »

Finally some dry weather!!!!!

Managed to get soft top cleaned and conditioned. Hopefully making it a little less porous. Roof seems to be absorbing the rain lol! Anyway, hopefully I will see an improvement. General condition of the roof appears fine except for the window. Been searching online for a replacement zip in one.

Started to de-smoke the interior....YUK!!! Oh and replaced the dodgy battery.

I'm so impatient though! I want the wheels refurbed.......bodywork sorted.....new door mirrors.......all like yesterday....but I am trying hard to resist and do bits and pieces. Its a marathon.....not a sprint!!!!