New owner

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New owner

Post by Rodent »

Hello everyone,
I went to the car auction this weekend to look at a cheap Alfa spider.......and instead picked up a Z3 - 2001 2.2lit. In silver with red/black leather interior. I had never even sat in a z3 before, but as I piloted the 'ultimate driving machine' home, i was hugely impressed with it and am sure I dodged a bullet over the Alfa. I've now added 250 miles to the 119k the previous 5 owners had enjoyed.
It's not perfect, the illuminated gear stick handle is not fixed to the stick and the abs/asr lights are on! The hood motor doesn't appear to be working but other than these niggles it's perfect.
I'm quite handy with spanners but have never owned a BMW before so it may be a steep learning curve!
Rodent
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: New owner

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the Forum.

Regarding the roof, the brake pedal has to be pressed and the front section of the roof raised whilst pressing the roof button.
The hood motor is located in the boot, LH side behind the trim panel, there is a small T shaped key that engages the motor, if the motor is heard working of course.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

Thanks Gazza,
Didn't get any owners manual with the car so didn't know about the brake pedal.
Anyway, I just tried it (with front clips released and hood pushed up at front) and I can hear the hood motor running on both up and down buttons but the hood didn't move.
Perhaps I have damaged it as I have manually lowered and raised the roof a few times just gently pushing it down or up?
Rodent
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Have a look at the motor key in the boot as described earlier.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi and welcome. The 2.2 is a nice model :)
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

Hello Del,
the auction I got my car also had a 1.9 and a larger engine (2.8 I think). unfortunately there was a lot of 'mayonaisse' in the 2.8 oil cap so I ruled that one out. The 2.2 didn't bid to reserve but I made a deal later through the auction house with the seller.
Very happy so far. Also just found the pdf handbook in the knowledge section here so that's a boost as my car didn't have any books or service history.
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

Gazza, you were right....I screwed in the T handle and the roof works. That's amazing, I thought it would be broken. I wonder why someone would disable the motor?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :cheers
Gazza

ImageImage
knighthawk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by knighthawk »

welcome :) :) 2.2 very nice