Sky Sports F1 HD, First Impressions?

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Sky Sports F1 HD, First Impressions?

Post by Dave L2 »

Did anyone else watch the Sky F1 coverage this weekend?

I thought the whole package was very well presented indeed. Obviously the majority of the crew has been poached from the BBC and I'm suret Sky have learnt an awful lot from having those guys on board. But the whole weekend has been very well done.

The teams seemed a little more standoff-ish than they were with Jake Humphreys & Eddie Jordon, and Simon Lazenby appeared a little nervous about "door stepping" team members but I'm sure that's just a case of building relationships around the paddock.

Natalie Pinkham had some very good interviews and the dynamic between Crofty & Martin Brundle works very well. Crofty comes across almost as excitable as Murray used to. :D

I think my biggest criticism of the whole weekend would be that someone needs to tell Georgie Thompson that, with an arse that size, wearing the same skin tight lycra skirt for 3 days straight is probably a mistake ;)

Looks like the BBC will have their work cut out for them if they ever decide that spending their F1 budget on "The Voice" maybe wasn't such a good idea and that they want the F1 coverage back.

Looking forward to seeing how Sky cope with F1 & GP2 next week but so far it's looking really good. :bow
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Sky Sports F1 HD, First Impressions?

Post by pingu »

I have been mightily impressed with Sky's coverage. I was going to give them three races to get upto speed, but they have been superb from the get-go. The whole F1 channel has been excellent and well worth the cost (which for me is a reduction - as I threatened to bin Sky Sports and they dropped the price of my package by £90 a year).

I've only watched a recording of the race, so no red button for me :( . I really enjoyed the after show red button with the Beeb (which I couldn't get on a recording). I'm glad to see that Sky are doing it as part of the actual programme, so I can see it :D .

I don't think the BBC will regret off-loading the mega budget of F1. I'm surprised they are sending Jake & co around the world just for a highlights show. F1 doesn't appeal to the 10 million audience that the much cheaper The Voice will do.

Well done Sky :colourful:
Pingu
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Personally I feel let down by what SKY have provided to date.

I was confused as to why they didn't think to interview any retired drivers during Sundays race in the manner that the BBC normally would. In fact, I recall them showing a small clip of Grosjean being interviewed by Lee McKenzie of the BBC and also a small piece of audio whilst speaking to JB's dad about why he was having a 'fag'. The BBC make a great effort to provide you with the full story, on and off the track, as it happens - not just post-race.

The presentation and cut-scenes/visuals are in a much lesser league to the BBC, who in my mind had perfected the art of such video sequences. Whilst the BBC commentators often made mistakes, I felt it a little bizarre that Crofty labelled Hamilton as Button, as if the lack of a bright yellow helment doesn't make it obvious.

Perhaps I had greater expectations, but I feel disappointed by what SKY are providing, perhaps it'll blossom as the season progresses... at present I have the ability to watch either and will most certainly be choosing the BBC where available.
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

I too think it was a very good first effort but the package still needs refining- which I am sure it will as the season progresses, the presenters become more at ease and, as was pointed out earlier, relationships are strengthened around the paddock. But- the package was not as well "rounded" as the Beeb and I was frustrated by some of the production aspects- particularly where the producer switched to another camera just as an overtake manoeuvre was shaping up!

I also miss the banter between Jake, Coultard and Eddie Jordon....
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Any coverage that means I don't have to listen to the inane drivel of Eddie Jordan gets my vote :thumb: I agree with the comments ref Murray type levels of excitement on Sky commentary - I think that stems from Crofty being used to radio commentary of F1 and will probably calm down a bit with experience. I like the levels of coverage that Sky provide i.e. all the practice sessions live. Reminds me of the old Eurosport days when Ben Edwards did commentary so it's good that he's in the BBC seat. If you're an F1 fan then it seems that there's plenty of choice to keep us all happy :D
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8