Best route to Scotland?

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Best route to Scotland?

Post by Devon Z »

We're off to Scotland for a wedding/mini break over the coming weekend(in the Zed)traveling up to Warwickshire first to visit friends then on to Glenrothes in Fife, question is which is the best route? M6 or A1(M)?
I've done both before but a long time ago!
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Best route to Scotland?

Post by Brian H »

Devon Z wrote:question is which is the best route? M6 or A1(M)?
M6 will be the fastest route but the A1(M) will be the more scenic route, depends if you are pushed for time or you can cruise at leisure.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Best route to Scotland?

Post by Devon Z »

Brian H wrote:
Devon Z wrote:question is which is the best route? M6 or A1(M)?
M6 will be the fastest route but the A1(M) will be the more scenic route, depends if you are pushed for time or you can cruise at leisure.
That was my thoughts, we're not that pushed for time :)

Cheers
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

A1 as far as Morpeth (just north of Newcastle), then A697/A68 to Edinburgh. Just as quick as the A1 all the way, but much better :drive - just watch out for the cameras.

Or

M6/M74 to Abington M74/Jct 13, the A702 to Edinburgh.

Both great routes to Auld Reekie :D .
Pingu
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

pingu wrote:A1 as far as Morpeth (just north of Newcastle), then A697/A68 to Edinburgh. Just as quick as the A1 all the way, but much better :drive - just watch out for the cameras.

Or

M6/M74 to Abington M74/Jct 13, the A702 to Edinburgh.

Both great routes to Auld Reekie :D .
What he said... though the A7 is another option.... all take you to the A720 Edinburgh bye pass and follow the signs for the Forth road bridge for the the view of the rail bridge.
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Thanks for all the replies :) looking at the map, what about the A68 from just north of Darlington and runs across Northumberland National Park, looks direct but don't know what the roads like?
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Devon Z wrote:Thanks for all the replies :) looking at the map, what about the A68 from just north of Darlington and runs across Northumberland National Park, looks direct but don't know what the roads like?
Just been up to Fife (Kettlebridge on the A914 just past Glenrothes) to help son finish off some jobs in the house - was up a couple of weeks ago to fit his kitchen. For these trips I use the A1 - you can get held up on the single carriageway sections but the scenery is very nice. When we go up in the Zed we tend to go on the A68 - again an interesting road if you've never been on it before.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Zed Carer wrote:
Devon Z wrote:Thanks for all the replies :) looking at the map, what about the A68 from just north of Darlington and runs across Northumberland National Park, looks direct but don't know what the roads like?
Just been up to Fife (Kettlebridge on the A914 just past Glenrothes) to help son finish off some jobs in the house - was up a couple of weeks ago to fit his kitchen. For these trips I use the A1 - you can get held up on the single carriageway sections but the scenery is very nice. When we go up in the Zed we tend to go on the A68 - again an interesting road if you've never been on it before.
Cheers, think we may give it a try :)
99 2.0 Topaz Individual