insurance shocker

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
littlefeller

blank

insurance shocker

Post by littlefeller »

where do I start, in may this year I took out insurance for my z3 online with autonet insurance. everything fine till they ask me for proof of licence, I dig out my licence only to find my address hasn't been updated, I emailed them to let them know (autonet), that's fine they say we will give you 14 days. got it back 11 days later only to find my mrs licence (who is also on my policy) is also out of date, another email to explain along with a scanned copy of my licence. they give me another 14 days. licence doesn't arrive in the 14 days so autonet cancelled my policy, not to worry I think I will just go else where, how wrong I was. this all happened around mid june, a few days ago I received a letter from lion debt recovery service demanding I pay the full premium for my autonet insurance threatening court action unless I pay, including there processing cost of £40 :shock: now I already have paid around a third of this policy so surely autonet owe me money not the other way around, I was only covered by them for around 6-7 weeks. then another letter for some finance company saying as I hadn't signed and returned the finance agreement for said insurance and returned it to them I also incur another £20 charge for an agreement I didn't even receive. any suggestions anyone
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: insurance shocker

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd tell the insurer to reinstate the policy and call off the hounds immediately or you'll go to the ombudsman. And then I'd report them to the ombudsman regardless of the outcome.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

It's all in the very small print of the Contract you sign for when you take insurance with anybody.I got stung many years ago when I cancelled a policy and still had to pay most of a years premium.I believe most Companies are a little more friendly these days.I'd contact the insurer,explain what happened and ask if there is a solution acceptable to both sides.worse thing is to delay contact.Good luck.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

it wasn't in the small print as there wasn't really any small print apart from the disclaimer on the sight which makes no mention of conditions ( I don't think), I didn't even receive my policy documents as they wouldn't give them me until I gave them what they wanted. another problem I had is my mrs wouldn't copy her licence and send it over the internet anyhow (cant say I blame her) another trick was this licence rubbish wasn't mentioned till after I took out the insurance, surely this policy was miss sold to me. ok a little more background, I brought the z but the seller didn't sent the log book (im assuming he didn't as I didn't receive the log book back from dvla, I had to re-apply using the green slip) so keeping this in mind I couldn't tax the car online, I would need to go to the post office. in order to do this I would need my insurance paperwork which I didn't have as they were withholding it. now my view is - as none of the correspondences from either the insurer and or the debt company were of recorded delivery there is no proof I ever received any post from either of them, as such I really cant see a county court taking this on. as I didn't receive the policy documents this must be some kind of breach on there part :? the other issue is the legality of copying a licence in the first place, I know this is common practice for employers for instance but my printer has a sticker on the side stating it is illegal to copy this kind of document. also as I didn't receive a copy of the credit agreement I could not sign it, so does this create a get-out clause, alternatively as they didn't send anything recorded delivery I could just do the same and say I canceled it within the 14 days cooling down period via post (unrecorded :lol: )l mine field :evil:
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

littlefeller wrote:as I didn't receive the policy documents this must be some kind of breach on there part :? the other issue is the legality of copying a licence in the first place, I know this is common practice for employers for instance but my printer has a sticker on the side stating it is illegal to copy this kind of document. also as I didn't receive a copy of the credit agreement I could not sign it, so does this create a get-out clause, alternatively as they didn't send anything recorded delivery I could just do the same and say I canceled it within the 14 days cooling down period via post (unrecorded :lol: )l mine field :evil:
This may be true, but contract law states that acceptance is technically when the letter has been posted, not when received, so you may come unstuck with that.

Also, copying is only illegal if you are trying to pass it off as the original. This also applies to stamps, other ID and cheques.

Hope you have some joy though...
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red