What car next? Family Saloon

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

What car next? Family Saloon

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Well, the sad time really has come.

Zed has to go.

I thought I'd already decided on the Leon FR diesel.

But just seen the BMW 123d - MPG in the 50s, 0-62 in 7s, twin turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQn0HH9G8vU

Keeps up with a 350z, then again my clio kept up with a elise on the last track day.

Anyone got any advice?

Must be - quick, big (ideally 5 doors and big boot), good MPG and not fugly

Cheers
Leon
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

BM
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: What car next? Family Saloon

Post by Del »

Is this a car needed to fit "little people" into with all the equipment e.g. pushchair(s) etc?
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Del wrote:Is this a car needed to fit "little people" into with all the equipment e.g. pushchair(s) etc?

Yes, but is my daily drive, about 12,000 m yearly

The little one won't be in it too often
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I had 3 young ones and so seats and space used to be my priority, if the car had an engine it was a bonus. :D Definitely need 4 side doors with little ones. Something approaching three proper second row seats with proper shoulder “cross-over” seat belts is preferable as you inevitably get involved in chauffeuring around their friends for sporting activities and parties etc. :roll:

I like the BMW 1-series hatchback myself but every survey I’ve seen (including Top Gear) concluded, in this hatchback/family car category, that the (often cheaper) VW Golf offers both more boot space and more rear passenger space. The Golf generally scores highly in this family hatchback category.

I agree that modern diesels are good, bullet-proof, economical motorway munchers.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Big fan of the Seat, had and Altea, it handled superbly and the sport seats were the best I have ever had in a car, mine was not a FR but a sport model but was no slouch. Only downside was the plastics used in the interior, felt a little cheap. Biggest test for you is to turn up with car seats etc in hand and put it in the car if possible to see that it fits, it is amazing just how much stuff a little person needs.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Go for a diesel estate.. Vw or BM then get it mapped ;)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Don't go for a Leon :shake:
Go on the SEAT forum and you'll see why :(
I bought my Leon FR from Liverpool seat, full service history etc etc. it's had £3k of warranty work done since i got it and only a couple of months ago the engine imploded which cost me £3k. Seat say they are no good for short journeys :shake:
And don't get me on the dpf (that'll be £1500 when it goes). Do not buy a Leon, unless you want mine haha
Skylark

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Skylark »

Depends what MPG is acceptable I have a Focus ST2 with the older 5 cylinder Turbo engine I can get mid 30's if I drive it sensibly (70 mile daily commute). The performance is excellent and sounds awesome when she is opened up.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Thanks for all replies, as expected a mixed bag.

I've never heard a bad word about the Leon apart from it needing a good run occasionally.

The focus is a good shout

To be honest I'm after something with some real (surprising) grunt, hidden under a well masked shell.

Standard looking golf, 1 series, 3 series, leon, focus, megane etc. with MPG around 50+, no point in selling my 30 ish MPG car for a 'figure based' 40mpg, in my experience you never actually get the list mpg.

TIA
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Subaru Forester...?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
freck99

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by freck99 »

Southernboy wrote:Subaru Forester...?
No way, I wouldn't recommend a Forester. We have a 2006MY Prodrive 2.5XT and it'll only average around 30mpg.
It's fun with around 270BHP but has been quite unreliable and Subaru parts prices are ridiculous. :shock:

I'd stick to something German, a nice A6 or similar for me.......possibly with an RS badge on? :D

Steve
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

freck99 wrote:
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'd stick to something German, a nice A6 or similar for me.......possibly with an RS badge on? :D

Steve
An RS - that would be economical, wouldn't it?

Something from the VAG Group with the 2.0 CR Tdi 170bhp engine would be the way to go IMHO. I've just parted company with my Skoda Octavia vRS hatch with the 2.0 PD diesel engine which was returning 50mpg. I bought the car at 3 months old, with 6,000 miles on the clock and kept it for over 5 years. The only problem I had in 54,000 miles was a sensor in the exhaust that caused the car to go into limp mode. Servicing was cheap, too - 3 services at a Skoda main dealer during my ownership, the first at 18,000 miles, the second at 36,000 miles and the last at 54,000 miles, the most expensive was £180.

I had planned to keep it for another couple of years, but needed something bigger to accommodate my disabled father's wheelchair and our recently acquired dog! The replacement is another Octavia, still a vRS but this time an estate with the 2.0 TSi petrol engine and DSG gearbox. I really wanted another diesel, but the additional purchase cost was prohibitive, so settled on a petrol with low miles and a good spec.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
911sc

M roadster S54

Post by 911sc »

Do be careful about taking too much notice of manufacturer claimed MPGs.

My daily driver is a 2011 F10 BMW 520d Msport. I ordered it with the 8 speed auto which is my first auto owned.

I absolutely love the car esp the engine and the auto box. The prof sat nav with 3 D is Also amazing. The one BIG disappointment is the MPG. I don't think I am a heavy foot ( I reserve that for the weekend cars!) but in the 45000 miles I have driven over the 2 and a bit years I've owned it I've averaged 43 mpg. This isn't bad for a big car but..... It's a long way from the 50 plus that BMW claim.

A previous poster suggested a diesel BMW estate for you which I would support - just be realistic about the mpg!!
freck99

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by freck99 »

Mouldy wrote:
freck99 wrote:
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Steve
An RS - that would be economical, wouldn't it?
It was supposed to be a joke about the RS :roll: :head: