Is there life after a Z3?

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Is there life after a Z3?

Post by Southernboy »

Was it a walrus that famously said.."the time has come"....
I've just been offered R.170K (£10K) for my Z3.... I should jump at it and bid the prospective buyer and "SCARAB" farewell in a heartbeat...I should be flattered that my car can attract such a price...I should be happy...then why do I feel so sad... :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
The buyer will be coming by this evening...he'll be the first person to drive Scarab other than myself in 12 years...I'm partly hoping he'll change his mind and not buy the car... I already feel as if I shouldn't like him and that somehow Scarab will be as sad to leave as I will to see him go...we've covered almost 200,000 kms together...
So, here are some memories...

Dreams, memories, reflections....
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Is there life after a Z3?

Post by TitanTim »

Unless you need to sell for money/practical reasons or disire a change, then why sell?

I need to get my Zed over there to sell it, sounds like prices are more boyant :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

WOW!

Didn't see that one coming!

At least you've found a buyer who is happy to pay a fair price.

Best of luck what ever you decide to do.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I've just get mine sorted and your selling up. I have to agree unless you need the money don't sell, you'll regret it. Will you be upgrading to a 4 or something if you sell or are you going to get some mundane sedan or SUV?
Hope you make the right descision.
All the best
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

It's the hobby/project aspect. I'm always casually looking at Porsche Boxters (happy with the standard non-S version) around 2004 when they did a batch of facelift improvements. However, as I've done a lot of work on by Z3 I would be reluctant to sell at current UK market prices and would probably give it to my son. Also, bit unsure about the ease of DIY on the Porsche.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Got my eye on a 3.2 Targa LHD restoration project..if the sale goes through...alternately I may find a really cheap Z3 and do a "sprint spruce" and turn it over while I look around for something interesting...My favourite Porsche is the Cayman though, so maybe time for a hardtop car... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

So is this good bye :bawl:
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

sell it mate and start again with another z3 , it seems the restoration and custom upgrades are part of the fun for you and the car 8-)
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

For £10k your better to sell it and wire the money to my account, I will buy you four half decent Z's and ship them over !!! You tart them up a bit and sell them on and I will start getting the next batch ready ! And this time next year Rodders will be millionaires !
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Well it seems it's sold. "Neville" the buyer came by with his BH and they went off for a drive...came back and she was in love with it, and needless to say so was Neville. I upped the price anothe £500.00 with the promise to have the front bumper / splitters repainted before delivering to him... He also decided to take my set of Type 3 AC Schnitzer wheel for £600.00 at the same time...So I guess it's time to start looking for a replacement...my neighbour's daughter is feeling sadder than I am - oddly - never took her for a petrol-head... :wink:
Thanks for all the comments etc...
Watch this space..... I may surprise you guys yet.... :D
2001 3.0 105000kms....???? asking £.7000.00....
"Normal is overrated"

Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

I probably ought to say congrats - but I feel sorry for your loss :bawl:

I've ofte thinking about selling the Zed over the years, but decided it's a keeper - like my other cars...

I hope that you get what you want....

Happy New Year 8-)
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Having had a look at what Z3's are available for sale, the one I posted a pic of above seems the most likely candidate as my next project.... I like the "low" mileage and the 3.0 motor. Unfortunate interior decor from what the seller's description conveys..."beige"...yuck!! I'll have to do something about that...also, the "champagne" / gold colour - quite unusual - might need to go in favour of something a tad more "roadster"...perhaps red...I think I've had it with black...really nice when it's just been cleaned, but by the following day it looks as though it needs cleaning again..maybe I'm just too anal...anyhow, it'll be fun re-inventing it into another "dynamic" Z3 roadster...and maybe by the time I've done all the changes, it'll be another great sell...
As an indication, my Cosmo black 2.8 is now the official record holder of the most valuable "2nd hand Z3 Roadster in SA" - Having just achieved the selling price I got for it. From what I can find, these 2.8's were only around R. 250K new...so after 16 years and 200K+ kms. mileage, it has depreciated by a paltry R.80,000.00...now that beats the crap out of a lot of current supercars like Jaguar, Aston Martin etc which depreciate at around £100 per day!!
What this tells me is that these cars can be turned into very desirable objects by doing some cosmetic and performance mods which are fairly affordable here in SA.
One thing I am really keen on with the 3.0 I pictured above is that it also has a hard top.... :D :D :D
Watch this space for the Hamann look-alike hard top in 2014..... Now that I have the opportunity to have all the hardware in front of me, I'll be at my CAD and prepping drawings for the composite guys etc etc....
I've already planned to go on a couple of courses in Feb to learn the "secrets" of moulds and composites, and I expect I'll be able to speak and specify with some degree of competency to the guys who will eventually be responsible for making them.
As someone once said..."one door closes and another opens"... and as sad as it is to part with a faithful partner, a new romance is always exciting and filled with possibility. The new colour for 2014 will be gold....or is it Pistachio????
Here's an interesting link for all you guys with Z3's.....worth a look...
http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

What's wrong with beige interior?

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

There's nothing "wrong" with beige...just isn't very "roadster" IMO... too much the "hum" and not enough of the "Ho !".... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

We all have different wants and tastes when it comes to our cars. My car is every inch a 'Roadster' as yours. I feel airing your opinions in such a way is offensive to other forum members of which I'm sure a fair amount have as you call it 'YUK' interior. Not much 'ho' there really is there?
Happy new year! :)

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.....ooops!....no offense intended good man...only an opinion, which shouldn't be taken overly seriously....but if you feel slighted by my "yuk" reference, I apologise.... and I really hope the rest of your new year holiday improves.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Holiday! I'm at work! Apology excepted. :?

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

As somebody has already said wow
What a surprise Barry
You will be missed and be a big lose to the Forum
I'm sure what route you go down with your new project/car
you will put your incredible commitment into it
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

I'm amazed as well Barry. I hope you have fun on your next project and if it's Zed based I'm sure we'll still see you on the forum :)
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Well if it is Zed based at least he knows how the car comes apart :D when doing all the upgrades
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

At this point I'm looking at a 2001 3.0 Z3 with around 110000 kms...Cosmo black & beige interior or a 2001 3.0 Z3 Black / blue interior with around 70000kms...The problem with the silver car is the uncertainty regarding actual mileage...seems the cluster has been replaced without the mileage being reset although the seller says he has a full service history...2004 BMW Z4 3.0 with 66000kms....2006 BMW M Coupe 3.2 with 75000kms...
If anyone knows the process to do this I'd be very grateful for the directions / instructions on how it is done so I can establish the correct / actual mileage.
Alternate fuel economy considerations...2004 2.0 Toyota MR 2 30000 kms / 2004 Honda 2000 S 32000 kms
So a few considerations over the next few weeks...And yes, my sound knowledge of the Z3 would be the easy route and make for a knowledgeable upgrade procedure...
I have a couple of weeks to decide and do some background checks etc....so it may well be that I'll still be around to bore, bug and banter with you all...But it is heart-warming to read the comments from you guys...really appreciate the thoughts... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

I wont miss you :D

Yes I will, hope you stick around here and hope its a zed for your next project :D

Happy New Year x
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You know what I like about you SS ?..... nothing.... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You do know I'm kidding SS... :wave
"Normal is overrated"

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Barry, although myself and Rocky Dave have only been on the Zed circuit 6 months or so, I personally have found your fast replies on the forum offering invaluable advice a real help, exactly what you expect on a good forum of 'like minded' people. All the best and watching with interest to see if another Z appears under that super SA blue sky and sunshine 8-)

PS.........that cushion that often appears on your drivers seat, was it a BMW OEM option? :-D
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ah ! I see someone noticed it...I use it because it slides on the leather very nicely when I get in and out...especially on those days when it gets seriously hot out here...works very well as an extra bit of padding for my skinny butt too... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Wow didn't see that coming, you'll be sorely missed if you do leave the Z3 scene, I don't think there's ever been a more helpful, enthusiastic or downright enterprising forum member on zroadster.net than yourself! Make sure to stick around even if you don't go down the Z3 route for the next project :)
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks mate...those are very kind thoughts...appreciated. :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

There is definately life after a Z3, i have had my boxster for about 8 months now. Its a great car, although i have never seen the engine ( i can't be bothered lifting the engine cover) !!
Strange as when i had the Z3 the bonnet was always up :D
Still modifying
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Barry, get an M Roadster. You know you want to. :thumb:

Seriously speaking, I would love to see you get your hands on a decent condition M Roadster and turn it into something special... I know you have the ideas, resources and determination for it. Who knows, we other M Roadster owners might also benefit from your enthusiasm in form of having new parts and accessories available for us to purchase!

Your list of other, non-Z3 cars to consider looks almost exactly like the cars I'm constantly looking at on Autotrader & Pistonheads (even though I am not planning on selling my M).

From an old Toyota enthusiast, my only advise is that if you go for an MR2, instead of mk2, get a well-sorted, relatively rust-free mk1 Supercharger. Completely rust-free ones are rarer than hen's teeth and very expensive, but rust repair is pretty easy, thanks to wedgy shape. Enough power to have fun (especially after increasing the boost a bit), awesome 80s looks (subjective), prices are on the rise, and SO fun and engaging to drive, even with worn suspension as on mine. In fact, much more fun than even the M Roadster... I know I'll annoy a couple of people here by saying this... but there, it's been said. :D
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

You could buy mine now Barry ;)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Monday...view / test drive....Silver Dream Machine....2006 3.2 M....80,000kms...:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.....Or this........ 2004 - MR 2 62000kms...??

"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

The Zed looks nice, noooooooo to the MR2! Did you get my pm? :bounce: :bounce:

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Dave...I don't think I did get your PM...??
"Normal is overrated"

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

No contest SB........one of those cars has balls and the other probably hasn't :-?
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes, I see your point, but the "castrated one" will deliver 18km / litre...and it may be fun to fit a turbo to it from what I have read...on the other hand...screw...got to have "balls"... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....one more possible option.... 46,000 miles....3.0 litre 2002....black leather interior... asking £.6500.00.

or....
2000 model, 68000 miles 3.0 litre "Individual # 3 of 33"...has the sport seats in blue / black, asking £.4857.00 ....but it's an automatic... :?

"Normal is overrated"

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Decisions decisions :?:

Just buy them all :D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hi Barry,

Have you looked and driven the MR2?

I owned the MK1 AW11 T bar for 4 years and absolutely loved it, way more fun the Zed, it was truly a lovely car. I never liked the MK2 so went onto a few Audis until the MK3 appeared. I placed an order straight away thinking it would be like the MK1 without test driving as no demos had been released at the time. I took delivery and I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a new car, it was nothing like the MK1, I remember I was gutted. I sold it back to the dealer after a few days at a great loss and managed to get the Audi back I'd traded in much to the dealers bemusement.

The build is very light weight/tinny which is good in some ways but its nothing like the Z3 in this respect. The engine is right behind you like the MK1 but in the MK1 it was well soundproofed, on the MK3 with the hood up it droned terrible at anything over moderate speeds along with a high degree of road noise, it wasn't pleasant. Remember also there is no boot on the MK3, just some cubby boxes behind the seats. The hood is made of vinyl not mohair or material. The handling was good though although as I found in the MK1 with mid engined cars once you lose the back end on a greasy road you will easily spin it and hard to catch it and correct unlike the Z3.

As your used to BMW build I think you would find the MR2 disappointing after a short while.

Tim.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Tim...I appreciate the advice. I guess it'll have to be a Z3 or Z4...They're fresh out of Bugatti's here today... :D
"Normal is overrated"

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I do like the Z4M above and in the right colour, would be a nice upgrade from the Z3 :wink:

Tim.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

+1 for Z4M :)

Road safety might also be of concern when making a decision... According to wikipedia, there are almost twelve(!) times as much traffic related deaths per 100k inhabitants in SA than in UK! In fact, SA is 8th in this rather unflattering statistic... :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate

As Tim said, mk3 MR2 is not as exciting as mk1. Given it has more kit and safety features but very low weight, it's flimsier than the mk1 (which is about 1100kg for SC model and feels surprisingly solid). However, mk1 has no safety features whatsoever (not even ABS), only your hips as crumple zone... If you drive a lot, it might not be the best option.

On the other hand, Z4M: Lots of safety features, solid, fast, not very economical but fun car to drive (apparently - I've never driven one). Sounds like a winner to me! :D

How about a Nissan 350Z? I don't know about prices in SA, but in UK they are getting towards very affordable. Some relatively low mileage examples can be found for around £5k, even convertibles. I would assume the fuel consumption is around the 3.0 Z3 figures. Again I've never driven one, but I'd guess they are okay to drive. Given they are Nissan, should be reliable as well.

Has anyone else noticed how fun it is to "buy" cars for other people?? :cheers
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think it's now a toss up between Z4 M roadster and 3.0 Individual - Montreal Blue...I spoke to my mate the BMW mechanic, and he reckons it's not a major job or expense to convert to manual drive...
Nissan 350 just doesn't appeal...seems too bulky somehow...maybe I'm just too accustomed to the Z3 size..even the Z4 is considerably larger than the Z3..
Anyhow, I reckon I'll give it a couple of weeks and have a good look around... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Southernboy wrote:I think it's now a toss up between Z4 M roadster and 3.0 Individual - Montreal Blue...I spoke to my mate the BMW mechanic, and he reckons it's not a major job or expense to convert to manual drive...
Nissan 350 just doesn't appeal...seems too bulky somehow...maybe I'm just too accustomed to the Z3 size..even the Z4 is considerably larger than the Z3..
Anyhow, I reckon I'll give it a couple of weeks and have a good look around... :wink:
I'd agree if it was my choice :D I guess it partly comes down to the mod bug and if you still have it :roll: The Z4M is certainly an awesome piece of kit but I'm not sure if there would be much you could/ or would want to do to it.
The individual looks nice and if you could convert to manual would certainly appeal even more.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

That Montreal blue 3.0 really is a cracking colour!!!!! :squeeze:

janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

I do love the Montreal blue Z3. Always loved dark blue cars. I also get your point about 350Z, it does look quite bulky. 370Z is a bit less bulky, but for the price of it I would rather get something else...

Whichever car you end up buying, I hope it is a Z3(M) or Z4(M) and I truly hope you still have the mod bug! It would be great to see what you turn your next zed into... :wink:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have just had a chat with the seller of the Montreal Blue car...He tells me the car has 100348kms on the clock...he's agreed to accept £.4450.00 for it...so, I'll be flying down to Cape Town on saturday morning, and all things being satisfactory etc...I'll drive it back up to Jhb and be back home on Saturday night / Sunday morning around 2 am...I've had a chat to my BMW mechanic mate, and he reckons it'll cost around £.1000.00 to convert to manual including parts and labour, which I am happy with...
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Excellent Barry. Is the seller holding till sat for you or is it fingers crossed he doesn't sell in the meantime? Looks a nice car and I'm sure they'll be plenty to do on it to keep you busy and interested.
I'm sure it'll be the right choice, I've only been on the forum a few months but its obvious how you tick and I think anything other than a Zed would be a regret for you.
Hope its a good one and look forward to the forthcoming threads! I'm sure they'll be plenty! :rtm: