...and then he came back!!

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

...and then he came back!!

Post by Southernboy »

..... collection on Thursday morning in Cape Town...

Montreal Blue...3.0. Individual #3/33....

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: ...and then he came back!!

Post by Southernboy »

....... first off, the seatbelt guides need my mod to sort out that flappy / broken arm.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

You be careful with all that extra power ;)

I bet you keep it auto.. There a nice drive in automatic.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Good result Barry! Look forward to seeing what you do with scarab 2!

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

you didn't leave Barry :D
I bet those alloys don't last long :shock:
and the individual thing :shock: not very BMW ish :D
but you now have the best engine 8-)
welcome back from not going away :dunce:

oh and you now have seats you wont slide out of in the corners 8-) 8-)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It will be interesting to have to choose some alternate wheels...I think Scarab II will be lot's of fun...especially with the extra few ponies... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Nice choice in colour one of the best I think and glad you stayed with the Z3 crew :D
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Looks good with the ///M seats and a nice colour.

Being a 2000 model and a 3.0 shouldn't it be a facelift version? I never knew you could get a 3.0 pre-facelift or a year 2000 pre-facelift but maybe this is just in Europe?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...I'm about to discover all myself...just got the VIN # :D
"Normal is overrated"

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

is that your new "lover"? :D
I wasn't there from a little time, and here that news! :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... seller sent me the VIN#...extremely dissapointing...it's a 2.8 Individual....manufacture date 12/1998.... and a standard 5 speed atomatic......so I don't think I'll be going this route... :head:
"Normal is overrated"

Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Good choice Barry, Montreal Blue is a super, understated deep colour, especially in all of that sunshine you have to put up with! :)

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

so the 3.0litre, year 2000 description was only wrong on two counts.
3.0 were only facelift, and all had electric hoods.

"and now he's gone again" :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Southernboy wrote:....... seller sent me the VIN#...extremely dissapointing...it's a 2.8 Individual....manufacture date 12/1998.... and a standard 5 speed atomatic......so I don't think I'll be going this route... :head:
Oh dear, but it must be the only nuclear powered Z3 :shock:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

That's a shame that sellers can't describe things properly. At least you found out before yo went all the way there, keep hunting and one will come along. It looks as if you are sold on the idea of another Z
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Oh no! What was he trying to achieve? Do reg plates over there not state the year on them then?

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Unfortunately not...the only way to determine the manufacture date is to check on the VIN# or on the original registration documents.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Z4M it is then :twisted:
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I thought something didn't quite look right :?

Good job you found out before going all that distance only to find out its not what was described :)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

To be fair there's nothing wrong with a 2.8 so still could be a good buy?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have asked for him to send a pic of the instrument cluster with the lights on...I'd like to see what other "tells" there may be...but I doubt I'll take it on now. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Whats the next step then Barry? Is it still going to be a 3?

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep...I have found another seller...and at least this guy is open with all the details....I've checked the Vin # and he has sent pics of the error code printout as well as the instrument cluster checks on a video...all seems to be in order. It's a Cosmo black 3.0 with 130,000kms manual shift, which is quite acceptable.
I'll do a physical check tomorrow and all being good, I think I'll take it.
Must say, I had a brief rush of sh1t to the head and looked at an Audi TT 3.2 DSG with 111000kms on the clock...but was advised that the potential for a gearbox issue would incur some serious expense..so that went out the door abruptly... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Wise choice. My father in law had a TT and generally it was a nice car but he had lots of issues with it and him not being mechanically minded cost him a small fortune in repair bills. Cosmos black, that'll be a change eh!!! Good colour tho so why change it. :D

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Black !!! Seems black was a favourite colour for Z3's here in SA...wonder why...?
Fortunately it is is already fitted with the roll bars and an OEM wind deflector...although it has the HK woofer in the storage box, which may have to change...I really like the extra storage back there...but that will come in time...I'll post some pics later in the week if all goes well. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Don't know why black was a common sorry popular colour in SA. You'd have thought a light colour would have been chosen.

Glad you're staying in the Zed fold Barry, your knowledge and experience would be sorely missed :bow. Best of luck tomorrow...
Last edited by Mint on Wed 08 Jan, 2014 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cheers guys...nice to be appreciated for more than my great looks and huge wallet.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Southernboy wrote:Cheers guys...nice to be appreciated for more than my great looks and huge wallet.... :roflmao:
Sorry, who's talking about looks? :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ :oops:
"Normal is overrated"

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Barry is it the one with the beige interior in EAST RAND? You don't get many z3 on your auto trader site. I was still puzzled on why you sold your previous well sorted one but I suppose you get bored once you have nothing left to tinker with. Look forward to your next project.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... Not the 3.0 on the east rand...I did have a look at that and went to drive it, but when I got there the interior was so tatty, both seats had "home made" speaker boxes behind them, there was a 50kg amp stuck in the boot and a CD shuttle which probably takes 20 discs...When I started the motor it fired first time, but I thought I heard a tatap of a big end or crank bearing...not impressed...I got the impression it had been previously owned by someone that cared more about drowning the sound of the straight six and deafening himself. It also smelt like more than driving took place within the car...not a very encouraging scenario. The one I am looking at tomorrow is also In Cape Town, and the pics I've been sent looks as though the car is in fairly well kept condition, with the possible exception of the rear plastic window, but that may have just been the photograph creating an illusion. It also checks out in terms of tyre condition, black leather interior, the dash has been removed by the previous owner to apply fresh leather trim to the airbag and instrument areas, which invariably shrink in the SA sun and pulls out from the edges. So all in all, it appears it was better cared for. I hope it lives up to expectation when I see it. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Fingers crossed Barry. :?

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Dave... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Up at 4am this morning to grab a quick shower and a cuppa tea before popping off to the airport for a 6am take off and a 2 hour flight to CapeTown...Arrived there to find the rain blattering and a stiff southwester blowing...the seller's driver was already there and waiting for me...in the 3.0 Z3...So short 15 minute drive to his offices, did all the paperwork and all went well. The car is in excellent condition with a full BMW service history and 2 previous owners. Interior is fully black leather and trim with black floor carpets. General condition of the interior is very good considering age (2001). All 4 tyres are matching Mitchellin with 95% rubber...The fitted headunit is a very good Sony, but I must say...it'll have to go...I don't like the blue illumination all over...very Japanese perhaps, but not for me. The bodywork is excellent, accident free but with the customary stone chips on the bonnet and spoiler. The motor is as sweet as one would want, and in spite of still having the cat fitted, the exhaust is positively OEM. A new rear window has been fitted (sewn in) to the OEM soft top, which will need replacing as it is looking a bit "worn" in a couple of spots. The wheels are OEM BMW 17" narrow / wides....
Anyhow, I had a good seafood breakfast, some coffee and set off back up to Jhb around 10.30am...1450kms...Arrived home at 9.30pm...so not a bad run considering I made 3 fuel stops and got a bit lost leaving Cape Town...an average speed of 138kph allowing 30 minutes for the fuel stops. I did spend an hour behind a chap on a BMW 1200 GS... motorbike...and that got shot of some K's in a hurry...we covered 190kms in the hour...fortunately it was in the Karoo...there's very little to see there being very arid and mostly stony ground and miles of...well stony ground and a good road to fly on...
Happy to be home.... :wink:
Here are a couple of pics of the car as I was heading out of Cape Town... :D
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

glad you got the car mate .. look at those perfect roads you have ....... nice clean pot-hole free tarmac :o and the rest looks good also 8-) so how is the 3.0i then compared to your 2.8

leather dash ? that's not standard is it :rtm:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hope you enjoy the new car. I've heard both BMW enthusiasts and BMW technicians all say that the 3.0 litre M54 engine was one of the best and most reliable BMW engines built. :)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Those roads look just like where I live, especially the one running through the two rocks, most reminiscent of my cul-de-sac!!!
Good news on the car Barry, I hope it all works out well for you and am looking forward to seeing the signature pic changed! :!:

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... SIGNATURE EDITED....AND IT SAYS IT ALL..."WATAKA"...... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Interesting choice Barry, Egyptian for 'a hot chick'!! Is that how you feel about your new scarab lol??? Have you got the turtle wax out yet! :D

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Pleased for you Barry, it looks a great example. Looking forward to seeing what you do with her.

Looks like you had a good drive home to see how she drives on some fantastic roads :drive
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Glad you had a uneventful road trip home, those nice scenery shots reminds of Wales. Are all your main roads built that well? Are you going to post some more pics of your new acquisition?
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks for the comments and questions....To reply:- I've dropped the car off with my BMW mechanic and asked him to take a week and check everything possible mechanical, electronic and electrical. Also to do a full oil change, coolant change, filters etc etc. So I shan't have the car back before next friday.
I did all the registration / licening etc today, so it's now legally in my name. New Number plate CW 72 ZC.
Yes, the majority of the main "national" roads are in that sort of good condition...it's the minor arterials which are potholed and generally shoddy.
No, I've not had a chance to even get the thousands of dead bugs off the windsheild / bonnet / grill yet...I'll do that next weekend after the "extended service / inspection". Being a "coastal" car, Ill take it to the wishy-washy and put it up on the hoist there and have the underside thoroughly jet / steam / degreased etc etc and while it's up there, I can have a look at the underside for any obvious items which may need attention.

"WATAKA" = WHAT A CAR........ :roflmao: but you may be right about Egyptian.. :wink:

What am I planning for this car....mmmmmmm...we'll see. The cockpit is 100% black, which is a tad depressing...the console is standar OEM "aluminium" look....quite dull but it does match the steering wheel which is the OEM one with the "ally" trim at bottom... It also has the clock with the single / double line position indicators...which I'm not particular to... prefer the M clocks.

It was a fab trip home...gave me a chance to "feel" the car and adjust to it's requirements...the clutch has a different take point to the 2.8, the gearing is very different to the 2.8, it has considerable more power especially likes running away after 160kph... The lights are excellent compared to the older 2.8 and were well appreciated driving after dark on the final 400kms home.
The steering feels lighter and the brakes are exquisite with the larger front discs than the 2.8. Suspension feels harder, but that may be a tyre pressure thing...I haven't checked them. I think the car will benefit from 18" wheels and maybe even 19" wheels...and possibly something a tad wider.
It has a very different stance to the older 2.8 and I get the impression the 3.0 has a butt which sticks up higher than the 2.8...this gives the impression of the bonnet tilting downwards more than on my 2.8...may be illusion on account of the "haunches" on the newer car.
Anyhow...early days and some contemplation required...right now it's more an adjustment to the changes described and perhaps some weekend cruising to have the chance to enjoy the car without having a particular destination to arrive at.
I'll post some pics once it has been cleaned up and given a good buff etc.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Have you got it back from your friendly spanner guy and what's the verdict? Now you have had a week waiting have you thought of any more plans. You might have some more time to think next week as the forecast looks hot and stormy like we had cold and stormy since Xmas.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'll be collecting the car in the morning. The report I got was good with everything in order with the exception of an intake cam position sensor error code. The code was cleared, and hasn't reappeared...but I'll keep it in mind if any difficulties arise.
Other than that, I've had some new floor mats made up and I'll pop those in. Not much beyond that at the moment but looking at retro fitting a cruise control set-up. Also, I must admit to having been looking at the price of some top quality leathers from the UK...but that's not a serious consideration ...yet.
I did send you a PM, Brian....perhaps if you get a chance you can have a look and let me have some advice.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

All systems go then Barry. Good news on scarab 2. No hidden nasties to concern yourself over. Look forward to see what you do next. :squeeze:

Cheers
Dave

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... Found some bargains on a USA BMW forum...on their way here already... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Southernboy wrote:I did send you a PM, Brian....perhaps if you get a chance you can have a look and let me have some advice.... :wink:
PM sent :wink: