Dare I say...Spitfire/MGB Roadster

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Dare I say...Spitfire/MGB Roadster

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi all, my brother has hit his mid life crisis and is wanting one of the above as a project car. He isn't mechanically minded but fancies having a go. Happy to take interior or paintwork issues and engine problems, just no welding please.
If anybody knows of anything please PM.
His budget is £1000-1500. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Dare I say...Spitfire/MGB Roadster

Post by mwpe »

I don't think you will get one of those for that price that doesn't need welding. He would be better off with an older Zed.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Spitfire 1500 over the MGB anytime ............... :thumb:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Mwpe. Believe me I've tried but he's addiment! Found him a Zed in budget on eBay and he wouldn't entertain it. We'll just have to hope there's one out there somewhere. :)

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Tinworm really likes MGB's from what I have seen and read especially in the budget your brother is looking at, Spitfires fare a bit better, older MX5's also have serious rust issues as well hiding on the sills and Chassis legs.

Keep working on the zed idea with him.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi Dave, As an owner of a multi concours winning Spitfire 1500 that I have had 21 years I would say definitely a Spitty! MGB's are so common, sill repairs too are involved. Any car in that price range is unlikely to be rot free but it is possible to buy Spitfires with sills repaired already, although the quality of repair varies enormously. Go for overdrive versions. Bonnet up, sitting on the roadwheel with a cuppa to hand is a very civilised way to tinker with the engine! Such nice flowing lines too when viewed from the side. :) Regards BB
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

I would say that the biggest thing in favour of a spitfire is the fact that you can separate body from chassis (maybe depending on the age of the car?) I did when I had mine. This makes it a 2 part restoration at least. There not many cars these days where you can do this.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

If it was me I'd lean towards the spitfire, there just a bit more fun all round than an MG although I do like the MGB roadster and the heritage that comes with them.
I am still attempting to sway him into a Zed. I've just sent him details of a 98 Montreal blue 2.8 for £1300 on eBay wanting paint and general fettling. Got to be cheap at that tho? I'll see what response I get back from that! :?:

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by Davejue1 on Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

BB, let's see your Spitty! Sounds lovely. :)

siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I love the Spitfire. So similar to the Vitesse I owned many years ago. However, come restoration time I think parts are the key and there is more available for the MGB, even a brand new body shell.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Both Spitfire and MGB parts are available from Moss (http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/), who also do parts for my Sprite.

There are some very nice tidy looking MGBs that turn up at the shows, but despite that, their values don't seem to be that great - perhaps the only one with a sizeable price tag is the V8. Spritfires are a lot less common, but for me they lack something that the earlier TR2 and TR3 had.

However for anything with any rarity about it (which is what makes classic cars interesting to me), you won't get much more than a basket case for that kind of money, and then you would be spending an awful lot of money to get it put right.

With Z3 prices as low as they are, you're going to be able to get a 2.8 for that kind of money, and that will heaps of fun.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Robert, I have tried again this morning with a 2.8 Z3 but he's not budging! Got to be a British classic. I have found a 1965 herald conv 1360 that looks remarkably tidy for just over budget. Wouldn't be for me but the age and badge may well excite him! :)

Cheers
Dave

TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TomH84 »

I go for the spitfire over the MGB. You'll get more for your cash too - though your budget might be a little on the light side for a decent one.

As everyone says, it's all about the bodywork. Everything else is incredible cheap and so easy to fix. Walk away if there's rust. At this age, you really need evidence of at least one recent rebuild.

The running costs are negligible. I pay £80 insurance fully comp and the car is tax free. There's loads of room to work on both cars, and you can fix everything yourself. Overdrive is a must too.

Having said that, once you get a good one you're sorted. I've got the MGB GT (which drives and looks way better than both the spitfire/MGB IMHO). The previous owner had it restored (properly) and the chassis is perfect. It was properly rust proofed about 8 years ago and it's still absolutely solid. I inspect it regularly and keep it topped up annually with Bilt Hamber wax.

Most of all, old british sports cars are amazing to drive. Such fun. Far less poke than the Zs, but in many ways a much more involved and 'raw' driving experience :) I'll never sell the MG!

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Cheers For that tom. I hope you'll never sell your Zed either! My brothers now set on a Spitfire and that's it so if anyone knows of one needing work and a new home please shout up! :)

Cheers
Dave

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I totally know where he's coming from, and I wouldn't want a Z either. Too refined, too new, too difficult to understand what is happening under the bonnet. Can't be fixed with a bit of string, a metal comb, an elastoplast and a twig.

There's a garage in Long Eaton with an MG and an Elan in the window. There are no other cars in this town that I give a second look, but even time I pass they get my envy juices going :) .
Pingu
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I too understand what he's wanting to do. And being a complete novice with the spanners its a good place to start. They both have major appeal in there own way. I only ever wanted an MGB Roadster but the wife persuaded me to get the Zed which I love to pieces and wouldn't change for anything but I totally get why my brother has his heart set on something older, simpler and British! :)

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Will try to upload a photo of spitty but can't suss how to do it. Have written a thread about my Zed but not posted it yet as can't load the photo's. Photobucket seems too complex plus they want too much personnal information. I'm more of a 'box brownie' posted up with a drawing pin type!! :D BB :D
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

From a purely selfish point of view I think the Spitfire is the best choice. I had a Spitfire years ago but after fully rebuilding the chassis and having sourced all the body panels to repair the body I had to sell it to finance the buying of the plot of land where we now live and have for the last 33 years, so not a bad deal really. However I do regret never finishing this project. An MGB never interested me, my brother had one and at that time I had a Chrysler Alpine with 1442cc engine which would out accelerate, out corner, out brake and generally p**s it off the road. So, no contest.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Spitfire .................................... That's all I need to add. Just keep saying it ................. :)

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

My brothers pretty set on a spitfire now. He's happy to take a non runner, crappy interior, rubbish paint but is trying to avoid welding as he doesn't have the equipment or knowledge to do it but as you'd expect, rot is the single biggest problem but will find one to suit eventually. There's no rush so when it happens it happens! :)

Cheers
Dave

Madmonkeyfish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Madmonkeyfish »

Having rebuilt a number of old Triumphs over the years, vitesses, GT6, Spitties, I reckon the Spit is a good choice. Chassis-wise, reasonably straightforward as long as the main rails are OK, simple and cheap to repair, go for a later 1500 with the swing spring on the rear, don't believe all the crap written about the 1500 engine, it can reliably produce 90bhp, just make sure you fit an oil cooler, use a good quality 20/50, make sure the cooling system is up to spec and if you can, get an overdrive box, Frontline do a kit to convert to a type 9 ford 5sp if that's your bag, incidentally the 5sp sucks up much less energy than the overdrive and is lighter too...
Body tubs are relatively straightforward to rebuild if needed, just make sure you do it whilst still on the chassis. Hardtops make the car an excellent all round proposition. Whatever you do, don't go mad on tyre width and profile. 175-70/13 is about the most you'll need for road use. Anything else makes it twitchy.
The secret to making it drive like new is to ensure the rubber washers between the tub and the body are in good nick, the suspension rubbers are not too stiff, 70 shore is about right, and stick to standard spring rates at the front. There's normally a bit of scuttle shake on older spits but that can be sorted by ensuring the bolts on the big alloy casting the radio sits in are tight and if you wish, replace the fibreboard transmission tunnel with a HD GRP version, that stiffens up the tunnel area.

I built a Mk3 spit with a 2.5 six with 175 CD Strombergs, six branch exhaust and early PI head which chucked out 140hp through a OD box and a 3.27:1 diff and a rotoflex rear suspension so you really can have a boatload of fun with these small chassis Triumphs. The club and spares situation is excellent, I highly recommend the Triumph Sports Six Club, they are the best for these cars.

If you though Z's were addictive, just wait till you get one of the these little buggers!!

Damn, I might have to sell my Zed and get another Spit!!!!!

MadMonkeyFish
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Wow! Thanks for the detailed breakdown, when we find him a car will be looking your post back up. :)

Thanks again
Dave

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

A friend of mine bought a Spitfire some years ago and did a ground up restoration, they're remarkably easy to work on as simplistic in design and not exactly complicated so good if you've not had much restoration experience. I remember I couldn't wait to drive it then when I did realised why I never went for a classic car in the past lol, it was pretty awful to be honest. I think a Zed would be ideal, still has the traditional sports car feel but more modern and safe to make trips bearable, nows the time to buy as prices are :? . Not great if you want to sell :(

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I have tried believe me! He's not having any of it. Found him 3 Zeds and he's not budging so a spitfire It will be! After all he is this older brother so who am I to argue! :dunce:

Cheers
Dave

Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

The younger more petulant one I would guess ................. :wink:

Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Weather he buys a Spitfire or MGB expect to be spending some money on it, once you start renovating it goes on and on. About 25 years ago I bought a 1971 MGB Roadster as a weekend toy, I thought I would get a good example that I could just use without doing anything to it. I paid just under £4000 for it, but after owning it for a while started buying new bits for it, I ended up having a full ground up renovation on it replacing just about every thing on it, and it ended up owing me £12,500, and that was having most of the work down at a friends garage. For what I did to it I should of bought a cheap non runner and renovated that. I did manage to sell it for £8,500 just as the Classic Car boom was crashing.

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Wow you know how to spend Geoff! Looked a lovely car tho. Nice colour choice on the Zed too! :)

Cheers
Dave

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

MGB's are very affordable these days
but a MGC or a MGB GT would be a better investment
or as somebody said earlier in the thread the TR4/5 route the way to go
Or even the Triumph GT6

footnote
Geoff H I thought I had been on this site a few years until I noticed when you joined
A month after its creation
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Boysie wrote:footnote
Geoff H I thought I had been on this site a few years until I noticed when you joined
Ray, I thought I had joined the site right from day 1, as I beta tested the site for David M before it started (it may of been David M's site that preceded this one, but I'm pretty sure it was this one) I did add some car details to my profile and seem to remember that my joining date changed.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Geoff H wrote:
Boysie wrote:footnote
Ray, I thought I had joined the site right from day 1, as I beta tested the site for David M before it started (it may of been David M's site that preceded this one, but I'm pretty sure it was this one) I did add some car details to my profile and seem to remember that my joining date changed.
A long time Geoff
And Jonntt has DavidM's car, so he's still here in memory
Ray

goe555

blank

Post by goe555 »

How odd. Ive got a 1974 mgb gt in good fettle, paint is scruffy red but all else is
sorted. Pasts last mot no advisories. Now...i want a zed. Looking for a nice one to px my mg against or i could sell it for about £1200. We may have a game on if there is still an interest. What u reckon folks?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Pm sent

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Boysie wrote:MGB's are very affordable these days
but a MGC or a MGB GT would be a better investment
or as somebody said earlier in the thread the TR4/5 route the way to go
Or even the Triumph GT6
Do I get a recommendation fee lol
Ray

t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

SORRY, but I have to say it, WHY would you want an MGB. They are the most God awful cars ever. To p/x one against a Z3 is beyond comprehension to me. And I really don't mean any offence here.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

It's not for me, it's for my brother who doesn't want a Zed. Believe I've tried! He really fancies a bit of British history so Triumph/MGB it is. Must say if money were more readily available I'd have a nice TR6 in my garage, as well as my Zed of course! :squeeze:

Cheers
Dave

goe555

blank

Post by goe555 »

Well, you know its all a matter of choice. Back in the day the mgb/ spits were about as good as it got for most young folks. Now most parts are upgraded and its straightforward to make them far more sophisticated than when they were new. Of course the Germans ruined our misty dreams with the Golf gti. Mgb ang spit suspension set up is ancient but can now be modified with telescopic shocks etc. The industry for these cars is huge and well supported, just take a look at the MG owners club site. They have very posh offices in swavesy with workshops as good as any main dealer. Now at at 60, im still hankering after cars I couldnt afford new. Ive bought German for years and now want a sophisicated Zed. My old Mg still holds a good account of itself and i will miss it when its gone. But the lure of a sexy young zed cannot be ignored.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I was just looking at the 'Antiques road trip' on the telly (yes, that's my life). They were driving around in what was described as a Triumph GT6 roadster. As I don't think that ever existed, I'm guessing it was a Spitfire body stuck on a GT6. It was a really nice looking car and takes the best parts of both cars. I've never liked the idea of putting estate car backs onto sportscars (MGBGT, GT6, Z3 coupe etc).
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

As the thread has just been kicked off again, I have a potential car sorted out for my brother. It's an MG Midget on an S plate. It's owned by an ex work colleague who has owned it for the last 8 years. It's only covered 57000 miles. It needs light mechanical work but the body is solid underneath and on the bodywork. I've known the seller for a good few years so trust what he says. We're viewing next Saturday so hopefully it'll be in my brothers possession not long after that. First job I'm told is to change the hubs to house wire wheels and chrome bumper conversion. Fingers crossed! :)

Cheers
Dave

janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

I know this is a zroadster forum, but when you get to it... Photos please! :D
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Jeeze Dave I hope your brother is a midget have you seen the size of the doors on a midget(MG that is) a mate of mine who is a 6 footer had one years ago and how he managed to get into it is beyond me, I'm not that tall but when I have to test them at work I struggle to get in and out. Once you're in it's not so bad but.....
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My introduction to roadsters was an chrome bumper MG Midget back in the 1970s. I don't remember it being difficult to get in and out of, but back then the summers were longer, girls prettier and the beer tasted nicer. :D If it's the later "big bumper" type it's got the bigger 1500 engine? :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It can be a little awkward getting in and out, but it is more getting my big feet between the seat and the door pillar than my height (I'm just shy of 6ft). It's easier with the roof off of course. Midget will be a lot of fun and there are lots of performance you can do. You don't need to go wild - when your backside is only inches from the floor, 30mph feels like 100. Hope all goes well with the purchase and am sure he will love it.

Cheers R.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Del, yes it's the 1500 engine. Can't see an issue with the purchase Robert, he's a proper bloke he's getting it from so think it will be just what he wants. He's 6" so as for getting in and out...... :lol:
I'm 6"2' so it's the Zed all the way for me!

Cheers
Dave

Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

From an MGB GT to a Midget ...................... :shock:
What the hell happened to the Spitfire ......... Just say it out loud over and over "I own a Spitfire".

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

There weren't any without the flintstone acceleration system for the budget, the midget is from a mate, it's solid throughout, just requires the usual with being stood a while, brake overhaul, water pump, thermostat etc. It should be a good buy for him. :)

Cheers
Dave

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Midgets/sprites are great little cars as Robert said with your back side near the floor
you feel like you are racing at 30 mph and its 1500cc that's must be a powerful little beast
Ray

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Well finally the deed is done! Drove up to Leeds in the Zed this morning, first run out since winter hibernation and he ran like a dream. The Midget was exactly as my mate had discribed so money handed over and one happy brother. It's being collected by trailer in a couple of weeks time then the fun really begins! (Well for my brother anyway!) I'll be out in me Zed weather permitting!! :drive

Cheers
Dave