iPhone 6 Preordered?

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

iPhone 6 Preordered?

Post by David »

Anybody else bite the bullet and buy into the gimmick?

I sure did.

£48/month 16GB Black iPhone 6
Unlimited calls & texts, and... 20GB DATA!!!
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: iPhone 6 Preordered?

Post by bertiejaffa »

yep - iphone 6+ 128GB
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Suspect the only significant thing that has changed again, has been the number and the pricing...
Used to like iPhones but they are same old, same old, with every upgrade.

Why make the whole phone bigger to give it a larger screen, why not just fill the front surface with screen for a change, or is that too radical for Steve Job's successor.
There is however a way of getting a radical change with an iPhone and do what I did,....I have a £100 windows phone now, and dont miss my iPhone one bit, music streaming, sat nav,sms reading over the car head unit, etc etc. oh and £500 in my pocket.
No wonder they are losing market share, and these one's won't get it back either.

the watch however, now that is something else,unfortunately you need their phone with it.... :head:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Nope, bought at iPhone 5 last year and replaced it a few months later with a HTC One which has been fantastic. Have replaced the One this week with the HTC One M8 as wanted the larger screen.

The great thing with Apple are the Apps and iTunes but that's about it, IOS needs revamping as it just feels old hat and restrictive.

I hope iPhones build quality has improved as my 5 was pretty poor and disappointing.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

gookah wrote:Suspect the only significant thing that has changed again, has been the number and the pricing...
Why make the whole phone bigger to give it a larger screen, why not just fill the front surface with screen for a change, or is that too radical for Steve Job's successor.
I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer and I design Smartphones for a living, and a phone with the whole front surface filled with the screen is the Holy Grail is for us, unfortunately current technology doesn't allow this as you need area for the display components, speakers, earpiece, microphone and a whole host of other stuff. Apple actually do a good job (I know because I get to take them apart :evil: ) but technology in this area is racing ahead so who knows what'll be around in a year or so's time. They're now talking about bendable/flexible screens, a few years ago this would have been unthinkable!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I nearly bought an iphone a couple of months ago but opted instead for the new Sony Xperia Z1 compact and have not been disappointed, £32 pcm for a 2 year contract with 3 store, unlimited calls, unlimited text and unlimited data, very good battery life, 20mp camera and has a micro SD slot.. ticks all the boxes for me and my only grumble is that whilst the camera is capable of taking some pretty impressive photos the lens suffers badly with flare if you point it anywhere remotely in the direction of a light source.
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Just read the USA Today newspaper and it has got prices for the iPhone 6 due to go on sale here on September 19th.

iPhone 6 starts at $199 with 16GB, or $299 with 64GB.

iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299 with 16GB, or $399 with 64 GB

Looks like Rip Off Britain (ROB) still exists.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

wonderloaf wrote:
gookah wrote:Suspect the only significant thing that has changed again, has been the number and the pricing...
I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer and I design Smartphones for a living, and a phone with the whole front surface filled with the screen is the Holy Grail is for us, unfortunately current technology doesn't allow this as you need area for the display components, speakers, earpiece, microphone and a whole host of other stuff. Apple actually do a good job (I know because I get to take them apart :evil: ) but technology in this area is racing ahead so who knows what'll be around in a year or so's time. They're now talking about bendable/flexible screens, a few years ago this would have been unthinkable!

Apple was the holy grail at one time, now all they do is try and play catchup, trouble is each upgrade is a catch up on the competition, but the competion is already in the procees of streaking ahead again.
Think they have sat on their laurels for too long, they were the best, now they are not, and they know it.
Nokia went through the same process.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

I have a company phone iphone 5S, would I buy one No Never, better things to spend my money on, the devils invention mobile phones are :evil: .
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:The great thing with Apple are the Apps and iTunes but that's about it, IOS needs revamping as it just feels old hat and restrictive.

My Windows phone still synchronises with iTunes, playlists, artists, genres the lot.. :thumb:

Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 when they first came out and only just replaced it with a S4 . I have been very happy with Samsung, the phone is good quality, feels good, nice screen, awesome pictures, good sound and other features. :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Ragtop wrote:Just read the USA Today newspaper and it has got prices for the iPhone 6 due to go on sale here on September 19th.

iPhone 6 starts at $199 with 16GB, or $299 with 64GB.

iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299 with 16GB, or $399 with 64 GB

Looks like Rip Off Britain (ROB) still exists.

Contract prices though,
SIM free cheapest is $749 (£460) - still £80 cheaper than UK

wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

gookah wrote:
wonderloaf wrote:
Nokia went through the same process.
I know, I used to work for them .... they got complacent and have now paid the price.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

My upgrade is due at the end of December and am hoping to get a 6+. I'm willing the price to have dropped by then as the initial interest may have slowed a little. I pay £42 a month now for my iphone5 and don't really want to go above that, I think it's more than enough for a phone. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm on my second Sammy now - I had an S2 for work and now have an S3 of my own. My gf outdid me and went and got an S5, which she can even operate the telly with. :lol:

I'm not a great fan of the iPhone, but one thing that p's me off about them is that you need an Apple of some sort to develop for them. Now for Android, I can write on any platform I like and I can use a programming language I am already familiar with. My first app is now just shy of 500 downloads from Google Play. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Robert,

My Dad is a programmer and I could be mistaken, but I believe he has just started using Delphi on his PC to develop apps for iOS.
I will find out more details if you so wish...
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

The question is why?
I had a simple Nokia that was a personal phone.
Got a new job which came with an iPhone 4S. Ok it had a few features that were useful.
After a year the company insisted on "upgrading" to an iPhone 5S. By this time my 4S was sorted and reliable so I said no thanks but the package arrived anyway. Wife said "great" I can have your old iPhone. Stupidly I spent a week getting the 5S to do what the 4S already could and then a week later the screen packed up! Another two days spent arguing with Vodaphone that I should be entitled to a replacement not be fobbed off with "why don't you return it for repair?" and another day to get the replacement delivered. Now the company want to "upgrade" again to an even bigger iPhone which will do exactly the same as the 5S and shall no doubt cause as many teething trouble headaches.
There was a time when the Holy Grail was to make phones small but it seems that it's now a competition to make them as large as possible. We may as well all carry laptops around. Oh! I do and guess what? It's a MacBook Pro!!!
These products are not made for the consumer. We do not need them and most of the time do not want them but the hype says that we must have them and the only people that are happy are the likes of Apple, Samsung et al.

What does any of this have to do with BMW's anyway but don't get me started on their current production line-up!

Chris
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

therealdb1 wrote:
What does any of this have to do with BMW's anyway...
Chris
That's why I started this topic in 'The Lounge'
There's no reason why we can't all chit-chat on here ;)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

gookah wrote:Nokia went through the same process.
wonderloaf wrote:I know, I used to work for them .... they got complacent and have now paid the price.
I loved the Nokia's, especially the N95 and N96 that I had. They were streets ahead at the time.
Then the iPhone took me with the 3, 3gs and the 4s, but I have seen nothing from them since that makes me want to pay over £40 a month or over £600 sim free.

No doubt there are some fanboys that would pre-order the iTurd if Apple launched it.
That said I have a Macbook but I don't rate it the 3 times better than the pc that it cost to 'upgrade'

mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

HTC one for me. M8 looks good though. Can't go wrong
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

I've tried a few different makes...from Nokia, samsung, sony, Dell, Apple etc but the phones i have found to be the best (IMO) is HTC. i am now on a 4g M8 Mini and it is great.
as already stated, i think apple have gone the same way as Nokia.
i also prefer Android as i find it a lot more user friendly.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I have had a cell phone since 1986 and have been through most vendors (Motorola, NEC, Panasonic, Apple, etc..) in that time. I now have both iPhone (5s) and Android (M8). There are good points to both, but I just can't get on with the Android. Using it feels like writing with the wrong hand. I ordered a 6 yesterday. Its also a shame Blackberry is struggling so much. for business purposes and Exchange integration they are still ahead of anyone else.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i find totally the opposite - to me Android is the more user friendly. i really don't get on with Apple.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I love the apple program, Jue has the galaxy on android which I don't get on with but that said, apple for me have priced me out the market this time, £50 plus for a humble lorry driver is to much. I think I'm going to have to learn to get on with android and go for a galaxy note on my next upgrade. :)

Cheers
Dave

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Unlike Nokia, Apple do much much more than just make phones, you don't become the worlds top technology company and win design awards for excellence every year by fluke, but there is a market for both companies, one unrestricted OS, the other simply gives the user what they want.

I bought my first Unibody Macbook 4 years ago, 20secs to login, no blue screen of death, no virus, performance and spam issues, or Internet Explorer hacks, its effortless. Apple for its size have done alot to revive the technology market, like Microsoft before them. They may not be the best but the iPod, iPhone and to a lesser degree iPad made Samsung sit up and take notice.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Davejue1 wrote:I love the apple program, Jue has the galaxy on android which I don't get on with but that said, apple for me have priced me out the market this time, £50 plus for a humble lorry driver is to much. I think I'm going to have to learn to get on with android and go for a galaxy note on my next upgrade. :)
You think Apple have priced you out of the market, have a look at these babies:
http://www.selfridges.com/en/vertu/home ... oChwjw_wcB
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Bargain! Think I'll have a couple of the crocodile skin ones! :shock:

akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

Jet wrote:I bought my first Unibody Macbook 4 years ago, 20secs to login, no blue screen of death, no virus, performance and spam issues...
really?!

I am a fan of Apple products - having used them since the Mac Plus in the 1980s - my first computer was a Mac LC with 20Mb internal hard drive! I own several ipads / iphones / apple TV / macs / etc. as well as the PCs on which I run my IT business... but there is a load of misunderstanding around them as well...

You can get a virus on Macs as much as on the PC, in fact Macs had some of the earliest viruses and it was only in the last couple of years that Apple admitted they had some fundamental issues within their software making it vulnerable - and sorted it out...
Spam has nothing to do with the computer - it is a factor of email and you get as much spam on a Mac as on a PC
Biggest security issues now come through dodgy emails / links / browser hijacks etc. and that is as applicable on Mac as PC
Browser issues with IE are as irrelevant on the PC as on the Mac - it shouldn't be used on either :) firefox / chrome / safari are all better options...
As for software - probably the flakiest major bit of software in the world is iTunes - Apple have the money to sort it out, but don't...

So, yes Apple products are great - their software okay - but there are plenty of viable alternatives!

and yes I have the iphone 6 on order...

Alasdair
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Davejue1 wrote:Bargain! Think I'll have a couple of the crocodile skin ones! :shock:
I'll see what I can do :wink:
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

akirk wrote:
really?!

I am a fan of Apple products - having used them since the Mac Plus in the 1980s - my first computer was a Mac LC with 20Mb internal hard drive! I own several ipads / iphones / apple TV / macs / etc. as well as the PCs on which I run my IT business... but there is a load of misunderstanding around them as well...

You can get a virus on Macs as much as on the PC, in fact Macs had some of the earliest viruses and it was only in the last couple of years that Apple admitted they had some fundamental issues within their software making it vulnerable - and sorted it out...
Spam has nothing to do with the computer - it is a factor of email and you get as much spam on a Mac as on a PC
Biggest security issues now come through dodgy emails / links / browser hijacks etc. and that is as applicable on Mac as PC
Browser issues with IE are as irrelevant on the PC as on the Mac - it shouldn't be used on either :) firefox / chrome / safari are all better options...
As for software - probably the flakiest major bit of software in the world is iTunes - Apple have the money to sort it out, but don't...

So, yes Apple products are great - their software okay - but there are plenty of viable alternatives!

and yes I have the iphone 6 on order...

Alasdair
There is no misconception, not one technical issue, I wish I was so lucky with my IBM Thinkpad. There are indeed bad bugs written for the MAC OS, and without getting too technical or going back to the 70s, all of the above still applies largely to the Intel/Windows platform which makes up the majority of PCs on the planet, it is a softer target. Like for like, MAC has its limitations, (networking/expensive) but its far superior for end users.....it just works, which is presumably why you use them and not the alternative. ;)
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

actually - we use PCs for the business - 2/3 of the price and more functionality :)
and we have clients we have moved onto mac as they are as you say conceptually simpler - however there are times when they do fall over...
for those who live within the approach / structure that Apple set up then yes they work very well - move outside it and they can be a nightmare - illogical and prone to failure, Apple's philosophy is simply that you should fit in with their approach
e.g. email is a good example - run email through their services and it is easy to set up - run your own and several accounts and it is very confusing
on an iphone if you connect to a POP3 account which doesn't use SSL - the iphone asks do you wish to use SSL (yes / no) - you say NO - the iphone then goes off and trys to connect using SSL and reports back - couldn't connect using SSL - at what point does telling a computer NO mean YES?! you have to repeat the same instruction several times before it does what you told it the first and each subsequent time :)

That is one simple example of the Apple arrogance that there is only their way of doing things - despite the fact that the majority of the world uses a variety of approaches - yes it is easy to say that if the user does it the 'Apple' way then it will work easily but life is not so simple that you can change everything including work / other people / the world to suit Apple's approach...

As to just working - Windows 7 which we use internally has less issues than the Mac OS For our 100s of clients - we see far more issues from the clients with Apple technology than PC technology Yes there are flaws in PCs and software (Windows 8 is a nightmare!) but the point is to redress the view and bring it back into balance... Apple kit is beautifully made - the design is undeniably fantastic - but it is not always intuitive, it is not business robust, it is flawed and it doesn't always just work - despite what the adverts tell us... Why is it that iCloud still doesn't work properly for storage after all these years - a fact acknowledged tacitly by Apple who change its name every 30 seconds and upgrade their approach with each new iOS etc.?!

I do love their kit and think their company is doing some great stuff - but their approach concerns me as they want to lock users into the Apple world with no exit and that level of control by one company is not good in any way at all...
and the kit is not perfect so it is important to keep eyes and mind open to understanding where it is good and using it there but balancing that with other kit

Alasdair
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Fair comment, they are arrogant and they make no apology for it, I applaud them for that. They don't need nor want to rule the PC market, unlike Microsofts aim to put a windows PC in every house on the planet, the trade-off is you are going to be a target.

They have a niche market and manage it very well, how easy is it to install an App, or use the smart mouse and Multimedia is a breeze. I use WinXP at work recently upgraded to Win7, nicer look and feel, smoother, faster, but its just a matter of time before the badboys switch their attention and mass produce all manner of Java, Adobe and MS nasties that will make it run like a dog. I can appreciate why developers want to tinker and play, but on the other hand the majority of users are plug and play.

Sorry, we seem to have gone off topic. :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Fanboy alert..... :D

I still can't get my Epson scanner program to run with Mavericks, but it will probably run with every pc on the planet..
Would I buy another Mac? no.... I would have a windows laptop with £700 change and live with my 1 minute startup and 5 second hibernate. and that way I could also get my BMW diagnostic program to run. And I would get an SD card reader built in instead of an unused firewire or thunderbolt port whatever they are?
One thing I like is that the form is the same so I can get a plastic cover to fit it, so, glad I changed really.

I think I will wait for the iPhone 7, I have heard that they will be rotating the main button through 90 degrees. and the 7s through 180 :roflmao:
Apple stuff feels good, but it doesn't change enough for me. loved them at one, time but sadly not anymore.

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I've done some shopping about this morning and have found a like for like contract on an iphone 6 plus for £47 a month which is only £5 more than I pay for my 5 but it's with "Three". I've been with Vodaphone for years but they've priced themselves out for me. Has anyone had dealings with "three"? I've heard some bad reports on them? :?:

Cheers
Dave

David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Don't do it Dave; Three's customer service are terrible...

Read what I put at the top: I'm moving on to a plan where it's £48 per month with O2, and you get unlimited calls and texts and 20GB of data.
For £1 extra, I know I'd pick that any day!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

You'll do for me Dave, thanks! :thumb:

David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Duuude.... Sweeeet.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

What do you think?

Gotta get a case for mine quick. It's slippery as a bar of soap!
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

There's life before iPhone.... Then there's life after iPhone.... :wink:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

i6 / i7 / .......... I'm waiting for someone to give me an i8...with the BMW badging.... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Davejue1 wrote:I've done some shopping about this morning and have found a like for like contract on an iphone 6 plus for £47 a month which is only £5 more than I pay for my 5 but it's with "Three". I've been with Vodaphone for years but they've priced themselves out for me. Has anyone had dealings with "three"? I've heard some bad reports on them? :?:

Cheers
Dave
I'm with Three.
Have had no issues with their service
Their 3G network is great - I had a samsung galaxy s4 on O2 alongside the iPhone 4s on 3 and the 3G from O2 was mostly so slow as to make it useless...I use Google drive a lot and via O2 it was unbelievably slow (upload an download speeds). Google maps for navigation was also a problem via O2 internet connection.
For me a smart phone is more of a computer than for phone calls so internet connectivity is critical when choosing a provider.

Three's feel at home (let's you use your UK allowance abroad at no extra cost) is brilliant.

They also have free 0800 calls now.
Brilliant.

Just be careful on the low headline price for low memory iPhones. I just wouldn't go 16gb again on an iPhone, gets full too quick and iOS gets bigger and bigger...At least 64gb next time around as you cannot add storage later...

As with all networks check their coverage at home/work to be sure it's ok. Signal boosters can help.
I believe 3 have a signal coverage guarantee where you can return the item if you don't get the coverage they show on their signal checker.