How I Was Humbled!

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

How I Was Humbled!

Post by Bonzo »

I often drive down to West Sussex, where my wife and I lived for over 30 years, before moving to Norfolk 3 years ago. I always drive both ways overnight to avoid traffic and queues, usually non stop. The last time I drove down there was a spate of motorway junction closures, the first one being at the southern end of the Q.E.2 bridge. I followed the diversion signs until one of them was blocked by a lorry but managed to get onto a roundabout with a sign post showing 'M25 South'. When I reached the said junction that too was blocked off for repairs! I couldn't find a way south, so I took the M25 North turn off and went through the tunnel, to peel off into Dartford and find or ask for directions from there. I cruised around for a while, but couldn't see any relevant road signs, so at 12.30 a.m. I pulled up outside a kebab shop that was still open and walked in. There were 3 foreign guys inside and they were shutting up for the night. One came over and said they were closed, but I explained my situation and he said, "Sure I will tell you how to get on the M25 south". He rattled off lots of directions via roundabouts and junctions, so I asked him to wait until I got a pen and paper to write it all down. He paused for a moment and then said, "Don't worry, I will take you, but first I have to pick up my friend, please follow me". I followed him for about 5 minutes, then waited for his friend to appear from another fast food shop. then, "Ok please follow me". We must have driven for about 15+ minutes until he put on his hazard lights and pulled over just before a roundabout. I stopped behind him and he came over. I wound down my drivers window and He said," At this roundabout there will be a turning to the right to take you to the M25 South with no roadworks. I said," I don't know how to thank you for all your help, but I am so very grateful for your kindness, especially as it is so late and you must be very tired". I offered him a £20 note and said, "Please take this as it is all I can think to do to show my gratitude". He smiled and said, "No no, I have enough money". "Let me tell you". "I came to your country 7 years ago
from Syria, with very little understanding of English words or spelling". "I asked someone the way to the railway station, but as I could not read signs and had very few words of English he said, I will take you there". " We walked together to the station for nearly half an hour". "He helped me buy the ticket and gave me advice and help for after the journey". "I felt so humbled by his act of kindness to a stranger from another country that I vowed I would always help strangers whenever I could". Well, I had tears in my eyes as I gave him a big hug and shook his hand, and told him he was a lovely special person. He went to walk off then came back and said with a smile, " Sorry, I tell you wrong, it is a left turn at the roundabout". He was right, I got back onto the M25 South with no problems, and although I encountered may other motorway junction closures on my journey they were all well signposted, and nothing could spoil my sense of revelation. I still get emotional when talking about this.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: How I Was Humbled!

Post by Badman gee »

Lovely story.

It's all about the person and how they treat you, nothing to do with where you come from.

The 'BEAST' 666
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: How I Was Humbled!

Post by Bonzo »

Very true Mark. The only people who seem to mess up this world are (some) politicians, world leaders with absolute power and religious fanatics.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.