New workbenches

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

New workbenches

Post by lordhelpus »

Hi All,

Ordered the wood today to make two new workbenches, and some bespoke racking for my man cave, now my question is this, the place I order my timber from when doing this kind of thing prices, and sells wood by the metre, fair enough I hear you say.

but for the life of me I can't understand why when timber comes in 2.4, 3.6, 4.8, mtr lengths, if its say 39p per metre why do I have to pay 39p for .4 or .6 or .8 of a metre.......
or am I just missing something here...??????????
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New workbenches

Post by Brian H »

AFAIAA you pay the price per meter and the .4,.6,.8m is calculated as a proportion of the 39p. A length 2.4m long should be 0.39 x 2.4 = £0.936p which will be rounded up to £0.94p.
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Brian H wrote:AFAIAA you pay the price per meter and the .4,.6,.8m is calculated as a proportion of the 39p. A length 2.4m long should be 0.39 x 2.4 = £0.936p which will be rounded up to £0.94p.

mmmm,, yeah I see what you mean kind of..??? its just that their pricing total didn't reflect this when I priced it up.....still never mind it's man cave stuff special conditions applied :dunce:
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

My local timber merchant prices by the metre and charges for what he sells you as per Brian H's calculation. But then he will sell you the length of timber that you ask for and you are not obliged to buy a fixed length which have become daft due probably to some EU rule. Why 2.4 metres? I can understand 2 metres, or 3 metres and I can even see logic in 2.5 metres but 2.4 metres?
I thought that it must be an imperial equivalent but I make it 7 feet 10 and a half inches so it is not even a metric 8 feet.
I guess you have to consider an 8 x 4 sheet is no longer that it is 2.4 x 1.2!
The same timber merchant has an associated hardware shop that sells individual items too. There is something pleasantly anachronistic in purchasing 3 or 4 screws to finish a job and leaving the shop with them wrapped in brown paper and sellotape unlike the national DIY stores that will only sell a blister pack of more than you will use in a lifetime! :D

Seriously however, if your shop is charging for a full metre but only supplying 0.4 metre you have a case to take to your local Trading Standards office as you are being diddled :bawl:
It may only be pennies but if everyone pays for 0.6 metre of timber that they don't receive it turns into fraudulent £'s.
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

therealdb1 wrote:My local timber merchant prices by the metre and charges for what he sells you as per Brian H's calculation. But then he will sell you the length of timber that you ask for and you are not obliged to buy a fixed length which have become daft due probably to some EU rule. Why 2.4 metres? I can understand 2 metres, or 3 metres and I can even see logic in 2.5 metres but 2.4 metres?
I thought that it must be an imperial equivalent but I make it 7 feet 10 and a half inches so it is not even a metric 8 feet.
I guess you have to consider an 8 x 4 sheet is no longer that it is 2.4 x 1.2!
The same timber merchant has an associated hardware shop that sells individual items too. There is something pleasantly anachronistic in purchasing 3 or 4 screws to finish a job and leaving the shop with them wrapped in brown paper and sellotape unlike the national DIY stores that will only sell a blister pack of more than you will use in a lifetime! :D

Seriously however, if your shop is charging for a full metre but only supplying 0.4 metre you have a case to take to your local Trading Standards office as you are being diddled :bawl:
It may only be pennies but if everyone pays for 0.6 metre of timber that they don't receive it turns into fraudulent £'s.
As well as my OP I had the same thing happen in screwfix, (more man cave stuff) was after some electrical conduit straight connectors (used for joining two lengths) two ends to a length of conduit is not unheard of is it...........they sell connectors in packs of 5.??????? :head:

Am I just getting old, and grumpy.?

I am picking the timber up on Monday so will be questioning the point of their pricing.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

lordhelpus wrote:Hi All,

Ordered the wood today to make two new workbenches, and some bespoke racking for my man cave, now my question is this, the place I order my timber from when doing this kind of thing prices, and sells wood by the metre, fair enough I hear you say.

but for the life of me I can't understand why when timber comes in 2.4, 3.6, 4.8, mtr lengths, if its say 39p per metre why do I have to pay 39p for .4 or .6 or .8 of a metre.......
or am I just missing something here...??????????
I would imagine because it matches up with plasterboard sizes for.stud walls Image

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Although if you're getting 39p per metre then please tell me where, we're used to paying just under a quid [THUMBS UP SIGN]

lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Lewy wrote:Although if you're getting 39p per metre then please tell me where, we're used to paying just under a quid [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sure, I don't think they will deliver to Wolverhampton tho..

http://www.gards.co.uk/product-range/softwood

As for my original post I asked them about their pricing they listened thought about it for a minute or two then they thru a box of screws in worth £4.50 for free..... :)
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Glad you got your money's worth :D