Picy of my new sprayed dash

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Anthony C

Z3 roadster 1.9

Picy of my new sprayed dash

Post by Anthony C »

Spray painting is hard...... Anyway i took apart the centre console the other day and sprayed painted it (the dash) as i wasnt very happy with the original black one that was there ( there were stain marks from the previous owner).

Its a real mission taking the centre console out, i wouldnt recomend it. Bmw wanted £199.98 inc vat for the two pieces that make the dash and would only sell me the black version, mines a 97 plate. I really wanted a beige look to match the interior so i decided to do it myself. Heres a few pics. All i need now is some chrome heater surrounds to finish it off.
Attachments
1.jpg
New sprayed dash pic 1
(137.72 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
2.jpg
(97.65 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

That looks like a top quality finish, well done :D

I don't suppose you took interim pics so that you could put something in the knowledgebase :wink:
Anthony C

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Anthony C »

Sorry, i wish i took a picy of how it looked before, just because it was so bad. Only thing i struggled on was the box part of the dash, you have to put the spray nozzle in to spray it but its easy for to much paint to build up.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Did you use special paint for this? What about the primer? I would be concerned about it adhering to the plastic. I need to sort mine out - its red and BMW can get a replacement but the centre part is £130 :o
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Great looking finish. Well done. Really looks great! :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Looks like a job well done from the pics but my concerns are like above: the paint sticking to the plastic and not peeling off and also what happens when/if it gets scratched? will it show the originalblack underneath?
Anthony C

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Anthony C »

Only time will tell if it peels. Once the dash was sanded down the primer sticks fine, i used a few layers, gently sanding in between each coats with very fine sand paper. The paint was chosen from halfords they have a great big catalogue that you can look throughg with loads of other examples of paint. My colour is from bmw year 2000 range, its a beige metalic colour, cant rememeber the exact reference number. Anyway they make it there and then, its £10.99.

The laquer went down really well and so that will hopefully make it safe from sxcratches. Only pain is not scratching the dash when you put it back in like i did ever so slighly on cigarette lighter area :head:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I swapped my 2 blue plastic console pieces with black ones from a BMW dealer (facelift interior), think they came to about £65 for both! I think black is cheaper than the coloured pieces though. It wasn't a difficult job but it did take some time and was a case of stripping down bits until you could get the console out and split it up.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Looks lovely, well done!
A set of chrome heater rings are a must to finish off your new look though!
wwwwOOOff!!!