Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Mint Z3 Individual Watch

Post by Jonttt »

I took delivery this morning of a "Z3 Individual" watch.

Part number 80 26 0 008 928 blua

I have never seen one before so I snapped up the chance to buy this on eBay.

It is absolutely mint, never worn, in fact I don't think its been out of the box so well chuffed.

Great addition to my Z3 collection :D

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster

Re: Mint Z3 Individual Watch

Post by Guest »

Jonttt wrote:I took delivery this morning of a "Z3 Individual" watch.

Part number 80 26 0 008 928 blua

I have never seen one before so I snapped up the chance to buy this on eBay.

It is absolutely mint, never worn, in fact I don't think its been out of the box so well chuffed.

Great addition to my Z3 collection :D

that is nasty :shake: :shock:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've not bought it to wear (not my style), its a collectable :wink:

I don't think its that bad, simple and quite plain yes but not "nasty" :roll:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Got delivery of the correct Type III split rim centre caps from Rossitors (official UK AC Schnitzer dealer).

They are made from aluminium with a polished front (£26 each :shock: ):

So I now have a full set to fit to the wheels:

Also got the tyres fitted. I used Event Tyres who are usually about the cheapest with the benefit of fitting at home.

Rears waiting to be fitted:

Carefull fitting ensured no rim damage:

I went for Falken 452's all round:

Front 235/40/18
Rear 275/35/18

£500 fitted which I was quite happy with.

Hopefully I'll get chance to get the alloys on the car later this week.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Jonttt wrote: Hopefully I'll get chance to get the alloys on the car later this week.
Ready for Harewood on Sunday Jon?
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Glad to see its coming together Jon :lol:

You have the patience of a saint lol, no way I would have let the fitter dissapear without getting those shiny alloys on 8-)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

:D not patience, the Z is stored 30 miles away :head:

Yep will hopefully make it to Harewood next Sunday for my first "full Schnitzer" run :drive
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Ahh this is teasing... we want fitted photos!

Those centre caps are crazy expensive, but definiately worth it :twisted:
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

your days of having time to do things are well and truly over Jonttt , for at least 16 years anyway now you have JT Junior . you might as well put the wheels on the Pram :D

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Lucky swine! Where did you get the wheels from? I want the non split versions :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Wheels were sourced:

x2 rear = new from Rossitors (UK AC Schnitzer distributor)

x1 front = new ex display wheel from a performance car shop via eBay

x1 front = used from German eBay seller

Only took me 6 months to source them but saved me £3k on list prices :shock:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

AC Schnitzer Type III split rim install- teaser

Post by Jonttt »

AC Schnitzer Type III split rim install- teaser

Well after 6 months of searching for these wheels the day finally arrived to fit them.

Wheels and tyres ready for fitting:

They are shod with Falken 452's:

Front 235/40/18
Rear 275/35/18

On advice of others I went with wider than recommended tyres to ensure the rims do not petrude from the tyre (ie to offer some protection against curbing, in effect the opposite of a "stretched tyre").

I'm really happy with the way the tyres "sit" on the alloys.

A close up of the Tianium bolts:

and polished aluminium centre caps fitted:

The rear wheels I had bought new from the UK AC Schnitzer distributor in the Z3m spec pack. This comes with 10mm spacers and longer wheels bolts as part of the pack.

The fronts however were sourced in e46 fitment and so needed 7mm spacers to make them into the Z3m spec pack. I had already sourced the spacers new from German eBay. I ordered longer bolts from eBay to match.

Z3's have 26.4mm OEM bolts and so the rears are 37mm and fronts 32mm to make up for the spacers. I also sourced locking wheels nuts of the same lengths to match the front & back (ie 2 packs). This means that I can fit 2 locking wheel nuts to each wheel for added security (I now have one "key" for the fronts and one for the rears).

This pic shows the front and rear spacers and front locking nuts (made by the same company, McGuard, who make the AC Schnitzer locking wheel nuts)

The fronts ready to be fitted:

Note: the AC Schnitzer wheel bore (the hole in the centre of the wheel) is a slightly larger diameter than OEM and so its important to use the AC Schnitzer spacers which "step" the fitment to the Z3 bore size (ie I could not use the 12mm TPI spacers I already have fitted to the Breytons on the rear). They also have a "locking ring" to ensure a close fit.

All surfaces (wheel/spacer/hub) and wheel nuts were greased up with Copper Grease to stop them from siezing and make them easier to remove.

The wheel hub was cleaned off first to remove old grease and ensure a flat stable fitment.

The locking wheel bolts are chrome plated. The wheel nuts match when new but soon discolour in use (they are not chrome plated) so I sourced some chrome covers to provide a better match.

As fitted:

Chrome wheel nut covers:

finished job:

I'm really happy with the way the wheel "sit" with the spacers (ie as per Ac Schnitzer specification). The rears are a few mm less pertrusion than I had the Breyton's so I know I could get away with maybe a 15mm spacer instead of the 10mm but I'm more than happy with them for now.

I had the chance to take some high res shots later in the day but you'll have to wait to see the full effect :twisted:
Last edited by Jonttt on Mon 21 Jun, 2010 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Looking good John

So far so good, but did you know the picture on the side on view of the car is missing off your thread :D
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looking great Jon 8-) How did you find fitting the spacers onto the wheel? Rossiters advised me to take the spring rings off as they can be a pain to fit and remove and yes and absolute pain to fit :| I found it impossible to push fit them in and ended up twisting them in. I don't think they will ever come off now without damaging the alloy :shock:

I really like the nut covers, where did you source them from please? I bought some 17mm ones off e-bay for the 1er but theyre too loose :head:

Fancy getting some chrome nut covers so they match the ACS chromed locking nuts.

Thanks,

Tim.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The chrome wheel nut covers were from an eBay shop £14.99 including delivery.

There are some still available on this link - eBay

If the link goes "dead" the eBay shop is "thenutsandboltsshop"

Description is as follows:

"TPI CHROME WHEEL NUT BOLT COVERS FOR BMW Z3

This item is a set of 20 * TPI Wheel Nut Covers in a chrome finish. Also included is a metal removal tool. Are a great addition to your alloy wheels to either protect new wheel nuts or cover up old rusty ones. Hex size supplied will be the correct size you require for your vehicle. Covers are of the highest quality, there are plenty of cheap versions around but the TPI is by far the best and the best quality, don't settle for cheap alternatives!"

They are a perfect fit for the Z3 :wink:

Its worth noting the removal tool is designed to go on each side and "grab" the cover on the lower edge to allow it to be pulled off. On the schnitzer the hole is just too narrow to allow both sides to slide down the side of the cover. My solution was to "striaghten" out the removal tool and just use one side. This was enough to pull the cover off :wink:

Re the AC Schnitzer spacers, yes they are a very tight fit, my solution get them to fit was a size 12 "stamp" on them :D (whilst they were lying on the grass to protect the face). Once on they rotate (slowly) into place. This was eased with the copper grease being applied beforehand, without this I'm not sure of they would rotate once fitted ?

Re the side pics, patience is a virtue :D
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Looking great so far, but why deny us of the finished photos... :colourful:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

AC Schnitzer 18 inch Type III Split Rims fitted, so good excuse for a bit of a photoshoot to update my journal:

Worth 6 months of searching for the full set...... I think so :D

Some general pics whilst I was at it:

first one inspired by Alfie :D

Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

:shock: .......WOW....... :thumb:
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Dribble dribble...

:bow

A.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

That car looks absolutely stunning :P

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jackster »

Immaculate Jonttt, a credit to you sir!
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

:thumb: from me! they look ace, better than the breytons imo
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Jonttt wrote:The chrome wheel nut covers were from an eBay shop £14.99 including delivery.

There are some still available on this link - eBay

If the link goes "dead" the eBay shop is "thenutsandboltsshop"

Description is as follows:

"TPI CHROME WHEEL NUT BOLT COVERS FOR BMW Z3

This item is a set of 20 * TPI Wheel Nut Covers in a chrome finish. Also included is a metal removal tool. Are a great addition to your alloy wheels to either protect new wheel nuts or cover up old rusty ones. Hex size supplied will be the correct size you require for your vehicle. Covers are of the highest quality, there are plenty of cheap versions around but the TPI is by far the best and the best quality, don't settle for cheap alternatives!"

They are a perfect fit for the Z3 :wink:

Its worth noting the removal tool is designed to go on each side and "grab" the cover on the lower edge to allow it to be pulled off. On the schnitzer the hole is just too narrow to allow both sides to slide down the side of the cover. My solution was to "striaghten" out the removal tool and just use one side. This was enough to pull the cover off :wink:

Re the AC Schnitzer spacers, yes they are a very tight fit, my solution get them to fit was a size 12 "stamp" on them :D (whilst they were lying on the grass to protect the face). Once on they rotate (slowly) into place. This was eased with the copper grease being applied beforehand, without this I'm not sure of they would rotate once fitted ?

Re the side pics, patience is a virtue :D

Thanks Jon, ordered a set last night :)

Re the spacers I'm not sure my size 10s would have sufficed :lol: When I fitted thm, 3 were fine and would turn in the wheel, the 4th got stuck with the mounting holes misalighned and with 10 mins to go before Event Tyres were due to show :shock: Really thought I was going to be stuck. Ended up using 2 screw drivers wrapped in cloth in opposing holes and slowly turning the spacer, it was incredibly tight.

Lovely to see the alloys on now 8-) what a change and have to agree with Shanty they do look better than the Breytons, made for the Zed IMHO and really give it that Sporty edge, looks fantastic :)

Tim.
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

Hi Jontt
The wheels look spot on.

Regards
Orinoco :thumb:
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Looks fantastic Jontt but it's all in the detail.... fix the net in the passenger footwell :D :thumb:

You've even got a thumbs up from my other half who doesn't like red cars :shock:

and don't forget, in another 18 months you can have sticky finger prints all over courtesy of Daisy.... bless :wink:
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Mint Z3 Individual Watch

Post by Cloz »

Jonttt another one for your collection;
Here
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thanks for the link Cloz, but its a coupe watch.

They come up on eBay reasonably often for less money than that.

The Z3 "individual" watches seem rarer because I've never seen another one advertised :wink:
slacz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by slacz »

WOW, your car looks really good! :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Ac Schnitzer 18inch Type II Racing 3 Piece Split Rims

Post by Jonttt »

Inspired by this car:

I put AC Schnitzer Type II Racings in genuine Z3m fitment on my "watch" list.

I had forgotten about them over the past 6 months whilst concentrating on sourcing the Type III's.

Would you believe it, the same week as I fit the Type III's and a set of 18 inch genuine 3 piece split rim Ac Schnitzer Type II racing in 8.5 ET38 and 9.5 ET9 (ie perfect Z3m fitment with no spacers and max rear dish) came up for sale on German eBay.

I've been so lucky with so many eBay bargains this year but was prepared to pay a fair amount for these as they are sooooooo rare with rear 9.5ET9 fitment.

I won the auction for ............ £297 :shock: WOW what a bargain.

Shipping was not cheap from Germany £163 but they did arrive within 2 days.

So for the pricely sum of £460 I have some very rare wheels :D (the bonus is the tires are only 50% worn and in Z3m sizes as these came off a Z3m, I may / may not fit new)

I knew they needed a refurb and the seller was pretty honest with his description. There is minor curbing on all and one rear has a section of heavy curbing. All the centres are in great condition though with all logos fully intact.

So I'll get them to the refurbers later this week for a barrel / rim refurb. Worst case I may need 1 new rim if its beyond repair.

Hopefully I will get fronts/rears looking something like these:

Fronts

Rears

So Type II's & Type III's down, Type I's to go (which were not "officially available) :D

Extract from AC Schnitzer 2002 Catalogue showing both Type II Racing and Type III Racing in Z3m fitment:

yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Good buy Jon,

Any photos of the wheels as they stand? I remember paying circa £200 for my 18" Type 1 racing with near new tyres 8-)

Bargains certainly do exist... :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I didn't take any pics but here are some from the original eBay advert which are pretty good:

One of the rears has the worst curb which is not shown on the pics (annoying but for the price I can't complain). I thought this may need a new lip piece but talking to my refurber today it will repair fine :D

I dropped the wheels off today and got another result ie stripped, lips and barrels refurbed for £250 (the centre pieces are in great condition and so I'm leaving original paint on) which I think is a great price.

I have taken them to the same place as did my type III last month so hopefully they will do as good a job.

The barrels are only corroded in a few places but for that much thought I might as well get them done as well as the lips :D

They should be ready for picking up middle of next week.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Sounds awesome, the damage doesn't look too bad, but I have to ask myself how people allow themselves to kerb a set of wheels as expensive/prestigous as these!

If the bolts are marked 'RO Titan' on their faces I hope your refurbisher is being VERY CAREFUL. They shear easily and I used up the last 5 in stock. I've since tried long and hard to find replacements for other members of 'wheel whores' but to no avail...!!
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

yalden wrote:If the bolts are marked 'RO Titan' on their faces I hope your refurbisher is being VERY CAREFUL. They shear easily and I used up the last 5 in stock. I've since tried long and hard to find replacements for other members of 'wheel whores' but to no avail...!!
Could you not get some bolts custom made?
ImageImage
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

That wouldn't be a close enough match for Jon :lol:
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

The car looks fantastic John.

Who did the wheel refurb as mine need doing but Id rather go with someone recommended than looking through Yellow Pages.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep they are the Titanium bolts, fingers crossed then.

To be honest judging by the work they did on the Type III and the cars in their lot they know what theya re doing. (there was an awesome CSL having its OEM alloys refurbed and a brabus SL).

They are just a small setup operating out of a "back street" small commercial unit. I used to work around the corner from them and noticed how many nice cars used them (especially Mercs when the Warrington dealer was a Brabus specialist).

They only deal in cash (nudge nudge), no frills but seem to do a great job.

National Alloys
0151 495 1880
WA8 0SP

http://www.nationalalloys.co.uk/Cars.htm

(they re a couple miles from the Runcorn Bridge, just off the bypass from the M62 through to the bridge near Morrisons)

I'll obviously report back how good a job they have done so fingers crossed. The "big players" where quoting a minimum of £125 per wheel so these are at least half the price.
Last edited by Jonttt on Fri 16 Jul, 2010 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

niccee :) i'm still keeping an eye on ebay for these incase a really cheap set come up that i can rebuild - if you decide to get rid let me know as i may be interested
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I sourced a black grill for my brothers Dakar Yellow Z3. Given it was only £17 but £12 postage i decided to add one to the order to try on mine.

Very good fit but I'm undecided if I prefer the chrome or black look so will leave it on for a while until I decide.

Not a great pick of it but taken today at the BMW meet (Tatton Park)

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

You'll have to start a Poll on the grills :lol:

I'm not a fan to be honest, the chrome around the grills for me stops it looking like the grills are missing. Only time I have thought they looked nice is the BMW black gloss grills on the 1er against Alpine white. There seems to be a bit of a black grill fad with BMW owners at the mo in an attempt to look sporty :head:

Tim.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I quite like it :thumb:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Wheel Bolts

Post by Brian H »

yalden wrote:If the bolts are marked 'RO Titan' on their faces I hope your refurbisher is being VERY CAREFUL. They shear easily and I used up the last 5 in stock. I've since tried long and hard to find replacements for other members of 'wheel whores' but to no avail...!!
Try Here, I recently refurbed a set and these were the closest I found. A real good company to deal with.

HTH

P.S. I like the black surrounds :thumb:
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Chrome grills defo look better on your Imola Red beauty.
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Picked up delivery today of another Z3 "collectable":

OEM Z3 Roadster Sunglasses

These were RRP £250 when new so I'm sure they are pretty rare (never seen any before).

In mint unused condition 8-)

part no. 8035 9 421 127

I'm not sure who they were made by but they are very good quality (as you would expect from BMW)

ps. they are right hand drive :wink:
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Did they come with a z3 logo'd case Jon?
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Is there anything BMW won't stick a Z logo on? Do they do Roadster underpants? :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

myredzed wrote:Did they come with a z3 logo'd case Jon?
No seller sold them as new, unused but without original box/case.

They did come in a designer case though but I don't think its the original.

Would be interesting to know what case if any they were originally supplied with ?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Teaser: Refurbed Ac Schnitzer Type II racing split rims :D

Picked up the wheels from the refurber a couple of days ago and got a chance tonight to inspect /polish them up.

The refurber has done a great job (a bargain at £250 cash).

I'm so pleased I decided not to get the centre pieces refurbed as apart from a few little "nicks" they have hand polished up as new and retained the original AC Schnitzer transfers on the front.

I was going to get a new set of Falkens all round but there is too much tread left on the tyres (5-6mm) to justify throwing them away. They are a combination of Dunlop and Continental so I'll leave them on.

Interestingly they are 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rear. The type III's took 235/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rears to sit correctly on the alloy and not leave the rim exposed. The "thinner" tyres on the Type II's sit on the rim perfectly.

This was the worst of the wheels and shows the quality of the refurb:

and the all important original AC Schnitzer logo on the face of the centre piece:

I need to get them to a tyre shop for re balancing tomorrow and hopefully will get chance to get them fitted this weekend :D

So total cost £710 with branded tyres, bargain for a rare Z3m specific fitment :sunny
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Managed to get some unexpected time today to get the Ac Schnitzer Type II Race Split Rims balanced and fitted :D

I love them :D

Perfect fit front and rear with no spacers needed and so maximum dished look.

I'm now torn between the Type II and Type III's.

Type II's are a more classic look with deep dishes.....
Type III's are more "aggressive"

So I now have my perfect wheel setup and can swap from Type II to Type III's at will.

Type II's will be staying on for the rest of the summer :D

ps I fitted the aluminium centre caps which fit both sets of wheels.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

They look fookin awesome!

Great look IMHO.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Very nice jonttt :!:

But how will you decide which shoes your zed will where each day :D
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''