Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

[quote="Jonttt"]Latest "mod" fitted is a BMW OEM unbrella and holder fitted conveniently under the boot lid :D

Where I can but the mat like yors?
BMW Aero Side Skirt/rear spoiler & chrome roll bar/ handle
AC schnitzer front/rear bumper splitter,Exhaust,type2 17"
BC coilover/H&R swaybar/wiecher's strut
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Part 10 on the link below is the boot lining, and you need 4 of part 11 (that only comes in a pack of 20) and 4 of part 12

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... 1&fg=65%29
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This thread should tell you all you need to know about retrofitting the boot lining. BTW I managed to buy 4 of part #11 without any trouble from my local dealer - no need to buy 20.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

sobe_on wrote:
Jonttt wrote:Latest "mod" fitted is a BMW OEM unbrella and holder fitted conveniently under the boot lid :D

Where I can but the mat like yors?
The trouble with these brolly's are that they are connected to the automatic roof rain drop sensors which throw the roof forward at any sign of rain and thus cause the brolly to 'Go up' which in turn will cause any shopping in the boot to be punctured by the inflation and you end up with a wet back end if you have any liquid in the boot :shock:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

Thanks both :bow
BMW Aero Side Skirt/rear spoiler & chrome roll bar/ handle
AC schnitzer front/rear bumper splitter,Exhaust,type2 17"
BC coilover/H&R swaybar/wiecher's strut
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

First drive out in the Z for a while over to the BMW show at Tatton park.
Good to catch up with people and meet some non forum Z3 owners.

Pity it started raining heavily early afternoon but every cloud has a silver lining as I've got the Z now for the week to drive :D

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I decided to treat myself this week and buy a couple of newer cameras :D

Having a 1 year old has meant that my aging Canon 20D (which I've had for about 7 years) has been getting plenty of use and has justified a newer version to SWMBO.

My requirements where good picture quality, HD video quality (I can never be bothered carrying my video camera as well) and fast continuous shutter speed. Ideally I wanted to stay with Canon to save changing accessories.

I've had a Canon 1Ds year ago but that only lasted 6 months as it was just too bulky for my needs and so my initial thought was a 5D but talking to a professional photographer I know she recommended a 7D (and would mean I did not need to renew my lenses as the 5D is full frame).

Then I hit a problem as a good friend of mine bought a Fuji X100 which I fell in love with striaght away. The big advantage of that was that it was so small compared to a DSLR but similar quailty pics which really appealed to me.

So I had a dilema for a full week trying to decide which to get. Eventually I did the only logical thing and bought them both :D

So I now have a new DSLR for "photoshoots" and the Fuji for everyday fun.

I've not really had chance to play around with the 7D but I've really fallen in love with the Fuji X100. It really is retro cool, so damn nice to hold and really takes you back to the days when you had to think about your subjet and not just rely on a zoom lens.

Anyway, I've enjoyed driving the Z for the past few weeks but it was due a wash so took the chance for some quick pics with the Fuji.......

The camers, these should last me a good few years and I think will get plenty of uase with a 1 year old running around .....

Canon 7D......

Fuji X100..... (retro chic just like the Z3 :D )

Some pics whilst playing around with settings.....

reminded me I've not taken any pics of the "black chrome" front grill I bought last winter, Its much better than the matt black one I had....

Anyway, good weather forecast next week and then Gaydon BMW festival so the zed will be my daily driver for another week :drive
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Why is the pic of the EOS out of focus? Did you take it with your mobile? :wink:
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

Like the black chrome jontt. I could try them on my m to make a more agressive look along with the black halo projector lights i plan to get after my hols :wink: where did one aquire them 8-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: m

Post by Jonttt »

hornel Z3M wrote:Like the black chrome jontt. I could try them on my m to make a more agressive look along with the black halo projector lights i plan to get after my hols :wink: where did one aquire them 8-)
I just got them from a tiawanese ebay seller, if you search grill Z3 some should come up.

Unfortunately whilst driving to work last week a lorry threw up a large stone and cracked one of the grills :head:

Its OK ofr now but will need replacing so looks like I'll be trying some spray work on my matt black set as I prefer the gloss look.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I had been in contact with Storm Motorworks to purchase a matching Titanium plated cigarette blank to my gearstick.

They had sold out and taken a while for them to get more manufactured but I received an email recently to say they were ready and would I like one without the manufacturer logo or wait until they came back with the etching on. I prefered the look without the logo and so ordered one for delivery next week.

But whilst at the BMW festival at Gaydon last Sunday Storm where one of the trade stands and had some on display. A quick conversation later and they happily let me take one saving them the postage and me waiting.

I'm really pleased with it. As per the gearstick the titanium finish is a perfect match for the grey S54 dials and its is a "hefty" quality piece of machining.

a quick pick when first installed:

hornel Z3M

blank

M

Post by hornel Z3M »

That looks a nice fit, looks almost like the starter buttons you can get. got some black chrome gills in the pipeline, thanks for the responce :wink:
z3 pete

Z3 roadster 2.0

subby ariel

Post by z3 pete »

Hi Jonttt, I like your stubby ariel, I have been looking for a bee sting type, but i prefer yours its just what i have been looking for, if you dont mind can i ask where you got it from.

pete
My midlife crisis machine, 2 litre straight six facelift model
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I'm still waiting for my titanium lighter blank :(
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

shantybeater wrote:I'm still waiting for my titanium lighter blank :(
From where?

C
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Just a heads up on the black chrome grills. There is a particular UK e-bay seller who retails these for £75 a set. All I will say is the quality is poor. The first set I received were a dark brown :shock: Once exchanged the second set although better the finish between the slats was patchy which the chrome showing through.

I might give the seller Jon got his from a go if the quality is OEM. If anyone wants to know who the UK e-bay seller is PM me. £75 is alot to pay for poor quality bits of plastic :(

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

From storm, ordered it along with a gear knob and handbrake a good month ago, the cig blanks were out of stock at the time. Have dropped them an email today
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

shantybeater wrote:From storm, ordered it along with a gear knob and handbrake a good month ago, the cig blanks were out of stock at the time. Have dropped them an email today

SSSHHH Shanty dont tell everyone, im still waiting for mine :head: :twisted: :D

The 'BEAST' 666
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

shantybeater wrote:From storm, ordered it along with a gear knob and handbrake a good month ago, the cig blanks were out of stock at the time. Have dropped them an email today
They were sending them off to get the Storm Motorworks etched on ready for sale (they had just got them back from titanium coating) but I'd already asked for mine without logo which is what they had on show so I just had one of those.

Re the stubby aerial, it was already on the car when I got it so I don't know where it was from (I've never seen another). The most common stubby to fit which is good quality is a honda S2000 one. BMW now do one as well but it c£20 from your dealer (its called a sports aerial I think).
pacey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by pacey »

the best z3 i ever see :), only the headlights is not perfect, my opinion oem is better :) i hope my will look and go like your :)

Regards, Ivan
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

mmmmmm how do I put this.......... I've bought another set of wheels :shock:

Could not resist these:

- Brand new

- AC Schnitzer Type III (as fitted to the factory Z3m AC Schnitzer cars for the south african market)

- front 18x8.5 ET43 (7mm spacer needed which I already have)

- rear 18x9.5 ET 21.5 (10mm spacer needed which I already have)

These are the same spec as my type III split rims.

They have been on German ebay for a while at an OK price but too expensive for a 3rd set of wheels but have just gone up this week with a make an offer option. So I made a cheaky offer and it got acceped. c£850 delivered for a brand new set (almost costs that for one wheel from AC Schnitzer UK).

So hopefully will have them for my growing collction of wheels :D

rear:

front:

I'm well chuffed with these :D
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Click the 'add to cart' button to purchase
Makes Type III wheel look like Type II wheel. Fits 18" AC Schnitzer type III one piece wheels and 19" two piece wheels. Please note: These are inserts only, they are not wheels. Please note: Please note: These are inserts only, they are not wheels.
Part Number ; 3613 99120

AC Schnitzer Type III Wheel Inserts - For 18" One piece wheels and 19" Two piece wheels - Price per set, one set required per wheel.
$ 49.95

It is on this site; Look
I have the same wheels than you but in the 17inc. size.
I tooked also the Valve Stem - Set of 4- Bolt on - Silver
Part Number ; VALVE02

C
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Jon you need help as you have obviously contracted the very rare and contagious disease Schnitzeritus. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

aceman wrote:Jon you need help as you have obviously contracted the very rare and contagious disease Schnitzeritus. :D
Yep :D

Cloz, I don't like the inserts which make the type III's into type II appearance as a) they mark up the alloys if you keep them on for a while so you can't really take them off without refurbing the wheel and b) actual type II's look much better than type III's with inserts fitted, thats why I have a set of type II's on :wink:

I will look into which valve stems to get once I get the alloys butI like the Schnitzer ones on my type III split rims so will probably get the same.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

You are becoming quite the wheel whores Jon! Does this complete the AC collection originally available for the z3m?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep :D

They did a type II one piece (non race) but not designed for the / marketed for the Z3m. I guess you could get 3 series front and 5 series rear offsets to fit seperately though :twisted:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I prefer the non-race wheels, they just look bit cleaner on the car.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Will be interesting to see them on the car. Not often you get to compare all 3 AC Schnitzer Z3m wheels on the same car :D

Just got confirmation they have shipped from Germany!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well it feels like christmas today :D

The AC Schnitzer Type II wheels in Z3m fitment turned up today (quick delivery from Germany).

Its always a bit nerve wrecking distance buying a very specific set of premium wheels especially when you get them at a massive discount, will they be "new", original and the right spec as advertised ?????

Well I'm chuffed to say they are all of the above, absolutely mint, new, boxed and of the correct spec for the Z3m as originally sold OEM by BMW.

And to top it all they come complete with new original centre bore covers and valve stems including covers. There is even the original german TUV approval warrant pack, spec sheet and car sticker for tyre pressures. I didn't even get these with the wheels I bought directly from AC Schnitzer last year !

I think these are definately "old" stock being offloaded by either AC Schnitzer or an approved agent "under the radar" via German eBay.

All wheels came in original boxes with stickers etc....

Fronts:

Rears:

New AC Schnitzer valves fitted:

Documents included:

These wheels do need AC Schnitzer spacers and longer bolts to fit the Z3m properly which I already have (7mm front, 10mm rear) but this is as per the original Z3m spec (ie the spacers where supplied by AC Schnitzer for this kit to fit the Z3m originally).

They will go into storage now until next year when I will get some rubber fitted. (I'm running the type II races for this year but these may be my wheel of choice next year :wink: )

Edit: found a pic of them fitted as standard on the special edition AC Schnitzer Z3m Coupes made for the South African market:

Last edited by Jonttt on Mon 05 Dec, 2011 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Well done Jon, kid and candy come to mind :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

Very nice, where on earth do you keep everything :wink:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Great buy Jon and they look very familiar :lol:

Tim.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Tim, they look so good on your car I had to get a set. I just hope they look as good on Imola :wink:

Oh and as to where do I keep everything, it helps working for a group that contains storage warehouses, commercial offices, etc..... Most of the stuff sits in a nice new unused air conditioned office :D
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

If you lend them to me jon i can show you how they look on a nice imola coupe..... ;-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

How do you like Imola in the flesh. I've always thought its one of those colours that looks a lot better than in photos as most cameras over correct and make the red look a lot lighter than it really is :?:

My dream garage would have an Imola Z3m roady and coupe in there :D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Jonttt wrote:Tim, they look so good on your car I had to get a set. I just hope they look as good on Imola :wink:

Oh and as to where do I keep everything, it helps working for a group that contains storage warehouses, commercial offices, etc..... Most of the stuff sits in a nice new unused air conditioned office :D
Thanks Jon, I waited ages for a set of racing to come up on e-bay but lost patience in the end, I'm kinda glad now though I settled on the one piece alloy, they just seem to go so well on a Zed, will look perfect against Imola :)

Tim.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Jonttt wrote:How do you like Imola in the flesh. I've always thought its one of those colours that looks a lot better than in photos as most cameras over correct and make the red look a lot lighter than it really is :?:

My dream garage would have an Imola Z3m roady and coupe in there :D
Jon in my opinion imola is the best colour for the Mcoupe.. It just suits the car to the T.. I wouldnt have a coupe in any other colour..
Yes you are right the imola looks darker in the flesh.. Ive just clayed the bonnet tonight and its bought up the imola well ( plan to clay/polish the rest tomorrow )
Ive been lucky enougth to grow up with this car as my cousin has owned it for the last 9 years.. But untill now ive never had the chance to look after and drive it as my own.. Ive always said id buy it off him but i dont think he'll ever sell it!..

If you get the chance buy a coupe jon.. They have there own character compared to the roadster.. You would love it ;-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Problem is my main priority was/is/will be for a convertable for my hobby car.

Nothing wrong with the coupes, I love them but roofless is more fun to me than any extra rigidity the coupe could ever give me.
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

Jontt, quick question, i'm up Liverpool way, is the Tatton Park meetup often?? I wouldn't mind going for a cruise/meetup next summer if it is? I'll have my Z fully insured and on the road by then :D

From the pics, it looks like a good event (maybe your camera made it look EVEN better :lol: )
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The BMW meet is once a year at Tatton but there are other car related events on there through the summer some of which have BMWCC display stands.

There is a show at Harewood House this Sunday thats a good run out / day. I'm not sure if I can make it yet though :head:
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Hi Jon,

Will be a real shame if you can't make it on Sunday :cry:

Just cruising fleabay came across these and thought of you, a bit rich for me though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-AC-Sc ... 43a7a18a9c
Last edited by aceman on Thu 08 Sep, 2011 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I already have a Doug Whalen original fitted :wink:

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Sorry Jon don't know what the hell happened there but I put the wrong link up for some reason. I meant to refer to some AC Schnitzer car mats I came across but knowing what you are like I suspect you probably have a set of these too. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-AC-Sc ... 43a7a18a9c

One of the levers is on it's way for me to try out. :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lol, thats actually the cheapest I've seen the ACS car mats for a Z3 :shock:

My car actually came with them fitted (but worn). They are just OEM mats with a AC Schnitzer badge on. As much as I love Schnitzer stuff I'm not prepared to pay a massive premium over OEM for the same thing. I sourced some rare AC Schnitzer mat badges that bolt into an OEM mat. They look a lot nicer and you can move them from mat to mat when needed :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I picked up some more Z3 collectors items off eBay. These were a job lot from one of the original 500 pre purchasers in the UK and so includes some items I already have but also rarer items I've not seen before (such as the calander and jazz CD given to first buyers by BMW).

Here is the ebay advert description of the items:

This little lot were gifts to me from BMW and family, while I was waiting for my 1998 Z3 to be built and shipped from California.

Number 1: Official BMW model 1:18 scale in collectors box with images from Golden Eye on packaging, model as colour uesed in film, this just sat on my bedside cabinet until I got my Z3 in January 98. Box Mint all polystyrene internal packaging and booklet mint

Also brand new in box, special mailing to first 500 UK customers, Z3 Jazz CD, calender and official letter, from BMW to congratulate me on having one of the first 500 Z3's in UK Mint.

Plus 1:18 scale model of Z3 M roadster, with opening bonnet, doors and boot in Silver. No box but mint.

Also included an original 1998 BMW Roadster brochure mint, and BMW serious fun Z3 brochure mint.

My cousin thought it fun to send me Goldeneye as an Xmas present on Video, watched it once only. Simply as my ver own Z3 was to be delivered in January 1998 first of 500 in UK,

My other 2 sons thought it would be hillarious to give the old man a radio controlled Silver Z3 more than 340 mm in length, played with once, batteries removed after once round the living room that christmas so in pristine condition, has removable soft top and swap for Tonneau cover. No Box

Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

Hi
I've got the calendar,CD and letter also. A nice touch from BMW for the early Z3 customers.

I bet there is not another 498 left out there though!

Regards
Orinoco
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post by Jonttt »

It's that time of year again, 1st April and the car is taxed for 6 months.

I've got some errands to do this morning but am spending the afternoon getting the car out of storage and on the road.

Biggest decision will be which wheels to run on for this year. I'm leaning towards leaving the type II racing on as they look so damn good :D

I will be keeping the car in an underground car park at work from now on so it will be a lot closer to home and I can have easier access to it everyday this summer, roll out the sun.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Just got back from first top down drive of the year.

yet again the car started like a dream first time and never missed a beat on a 2 hour fast road run after 6 months in storage. I just had to put some air in the tyres and top up the oil and I was off.

Was sooooooo good to behind the wheel again. Manual gearbox and the noise was fantastic.

Drove some of my favourite back roads which were relatively quiet so just enough moving roadblocks to make it fun. Had a new 330d Msport convertable (with ///M badge on the boot :head: ) try it on down formby bypass but watching him hit the rev limiter at 6k revs out of the roudabouts just as a real ///M was taking off was hilarious, I had to keep slowing down so he could have another go at the next one :evil:

ps I'm getting more and more impressed with the Falkens now they are wearing in, you can get the tail moving out of a roudabout but in a very consistant and controllable way.

Saw 2 Z3's with hoods down and got a wave from one in Southport

I love my zed :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good to hear a short story like yours!! And it sounds as though you had a really good drive too. I guess here in S.A. we just get so accustomed to sunny weather that the only time we really need the roof up is when it rains torrentially, and when it's just too hot even with the aircon on. I look forward to the winter here when the sun isn't as hot, and it's so much easier to wear good leather gloves, WW II Leather airmans jacket earmuffs and goggles. Feels like low flying on the good roads here, and we don't have cameras and cops all over the place, so one is reasonably free to travel as quick as one wants.
Enjoy your summer, I hope you all have a really good one with rain through the night and sunshine all day long...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

That time of year already :) I've been running falkens on mine and they have been doing a great job, beforehand I swore by toyo t1r's but I've seen little difference
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi