My 2.0l Steel Grey Journal UPDATE: 24/11/10 ///M Console

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

My 2.0l Steel Grey Journal UPDATE: 24/11/10 ///M Console

Post by w4tkins »

How The Story Starded:

This was the day we put the deposit down on Zed, back in april 2009. I couldn't believe we bought one. then the fun started.

Since then its had:
Sony bluetooth head unit
Clear rear light/indicators
Jonttt's old Z3M's clear headlights
Refurbed MV1 replica 17" alloy wheels
Alpine speaker upgrade.

Winter Revamp 2009:

Well it’s been a long winter without drive in my Zed. I put the car away back in October before the bad weather kicked in. My plans over winter were to replace the original springs with my newly acquired Eibach springs.
Things started well back in December, I had a week on call at home a got round to jacking the car up and start dismantling the back end.

I trawled zroadster for a decent thread of how to replace the back springs. I came across Simon’s thread on changing the springs, which was a great help :thumb: thanks very much for the help. I also came across JontyP’s threat on rear shock top mount change and that’s when the spring change went out the window and the cost went up. Again great threat thanks very much, I wouldn’t have even tempted all of this without your help. :thumb:

Well with the car jacked up and instruction in had the fun commenced. My plan was only to have a quick spring clean under there and change the springs. It turned out that I was going for a full revamp. I bought new poly ARB bushes (15/24mm) and control arm bushes from Pri Racing, front/rear ARB drop links (ebay), Spax VSX non adjustable dampers and E-TECH strut brace from Larkspeed, Eibach springs (ebay), rear shock top mounts (ebay), front spring mounts (BMW), stainless steel mount reinforcement plates and all the nuts/bolts/spring pads/gaskets to do the job.

The rear end cleaned up with new ARB bushes
Image Image
The rear end fully rebuilt
Image Image
And the rear shock mount reinforcement plates fitted

I cleaned up the trailing arms and sprayed them with hammerite satin black paint. All done in a week he was lowered, spun round and the front jacked up.

I found more inspiration from [url=hptt://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=]Deano1712[/url] with his winter thread. Thanks again for the advice. I stripped the front end as per Simon’s’s instruction and removed the X brace and engine brace ready for a cleanup and a dust over with more satin black paint.

I supported the hub with a bungee cord through the strut housing and attached to the slam panel

I supported the engine with a bottle jack near the gear box on the sump and a trolley jack near the water pump. I also support the steering rack with some plastic blocks so that it wasn’t damaged.

All cleaned up and sprayed with hammerite

I did have a little accident with the wish bones/control arms. I only had primitive tools and a crow bar to leaver off the control arm ball joins. The outcome was two broken ball joins. For the price of changing them it was easier to buy new. I also have to admit, whilst removing the control arm bushes I managed to sink my hacksaw blade in the mount and rendered it U/S :head:
I did manage to pick the whole set up from ebay for £95 delivered and the quality is very good.

I then set about pressing the new front control arm bushes into the mounts, People said a vice would be need to press them in but I didn’t have one. With a little thought I came up with this little contraption.
A bit of threat bar, double locked nuts at the bottom, and a few 60mm washer it tightened up into the mount with ease.
All put together it look very professional.

I then had the front ARB assemble with the new poly bushes and new drop links

I then had the front shock assembled at kwik fit for the price of a cheap sent of spring clamps

I had them built up with new spring pads, washers, spring plates and new BMW guide support (and BMW parts department gave me a discount on the mounts and spring plates without me even asking for it, Result!!!!!!).

All rebuilt and cleaned up I was very impressed with myself

When the car was lowered to the floor I finished the revamp off with a shiny new E-Tech brace.
Fitting took a bit of gentle persuasion, but it fitted a treat and looks the business.
I then managed to get Zed out and for a spin on Saturday afternoon for the first time in four months and it was fantastic!!!! I took it easy at first to make sure everything was ok and that nothing was loose or knocking and it went like a dream. It was 2 degrees, I had my hat on and the hood down! :D To finish it off I had the biggest smile on my face.

When I got back the suspension had settled nicely to give it a better looking stance, Even the misses commented on it. A pleasant change to “how much have you sent on it now” :lol:

Before
After

I don’t dare look at the receipts as I have feeling it wasn’t cheap :head:
Thanks again to all the lads for their help and advice and zroadster for helping me find it :thumb:
Last edited by w4tkins on Wed 24 Nov, 2010 16:15, edited 20 times in total.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

A nice job you've done there with great pics of the work carried out.Well done. :D
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Impressive amount of work, if it was me I would have given those calipers a lick of paint at the same time :wink:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Thanks for the replys, I really enjoyed doing it, Feel a bit more confident about pulling it apart now. Just hope it can be of some help to others who might want to try it.

I did think about painting the calipers but am a bit weary about touching brakes. I might pluck up the courage and try it.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Project mini mirror.

One on my first darring mods to Zed. well worth it but just needs a few slight modifications to reduce the judder.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Great piccies and write up :thumb: thanks for posting them, I bet that drive was so satisfying knowing the work you had done, great stuff :P

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Great job w4tkins :thumb:
I particularly like you colour-coordinated bottle jack, vice, axle stands and trolley jack :twisted:
Image :devil:
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I love the colour of your Z.

And, now as to costings....can you truly put a price on the joy of doing the work yourself and the final result?

We always accept that money should go on bills for food and power, mortgage and house repairs...but I think we really should be accepting that OUR joy and happiness in the world is just as great an investment!

If laughter is good for your health, just imagine how much good that driving round with a grin on your face is doing for your health.

The Z3. Purely medicinal.
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Austin Powers »

Couldn't agree more! :)
BW
Austin
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

TitanTim wrote:Great piccies and write up :thumb: thanks for posting them, I bet that drive was so satisfying knowing the work you had done, great stuff :P

Tim.
When the thougths of "have I tightened up all the bolts" wore off I was nice just to get back in the driving seat. The only problem is I cant remember how he felt before :oops: The best bit was standing back and thinking "I did that"
Titan wrote:Great job w4tkins :thumb:
I particularly like you colour-coordinated bottle jack, vice, axle stands and trolley jack :twisted:
Thats the OCD kicking in again :? I never noticed that before. good job you cant see the rest of the garage :lol:
Rob Tan wrote:I love the colour of your Z.

And, now as to costings....can you truly put a price on the joy of doing the work yourself and the final result?

We always accept that money should go on bills for food and power, mortgage and house repairs...but I think we really should be accepting that OUR joy and happiness in the world is just as great an investment!

If laughter is good for your health, just imagine how much good that driving round with a grin on your face is doing for your health.

The Z3. Purely medicinal.
Those are the exact words I was trying to say to the misses but couldnt find them. I shall print them off and pass them on to her Tar very much. They are truely inspirational words.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Rob Tan wrote:The Z3. Purely medicinal.
Oh Yes !! ImageImageImage
Image :devil:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

What a great job.

I love hearing about peoples experiences with their zeds and how they change them over time to meet their own needs. Even better when someone takes real time and trouble over it.

I agree the car is "sitting" so much better with the suspension mod. I'm a great believer in effort=reward so I'm sure you will enjoy the zed all the more for your hard work.

Thanks for taking the time to share :wink:

ps those headlights look great :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Great work w4tkins. The zed's stance is sooo much better now, I must get around to doing this myself :wink:

Thanks for sharing.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Great efforts, it seems you've undertaken a very thorough overhaul! I'd love to get around to uprating my bushes at some point!

Should Z3's come with the reinforcement plates as standard? I noted that mine didn't have them fitted when I replaced my rear shocks recently - I'm yet to order a pair from BMW...
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

Great work, It's always a nice feeling when you complete a task like this! Enjoy :thumb:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Cheers Jonttt, it was a good experience. And you might be right the headlights doo look good :lol:
yalden wrote:Great efforts, it seems you've undertaken a very thorough overhaul! I'd love to get around to uprating my bushes at some point!

Should Z3's come with the reinforcement plates as standard? I noted that mine didn't have them fitted when I replaced my rear shocks recently - I'm yet to order a pair from BMW...

The plates to my knowllage are not factory fit, the are as additional parts from BMW (item 16). I found them by accident on ebay and they are very good quality. Rouge engineering make a complete top mount but my budget couldn't strach that far. So I made my own up.

There will be more posted on my Journal soon (so keep watching!!) and hopefull it will be all finished and polished up ready for the Yorkshire meet in april (if I can get the weekend off work).

Thanks for all you comments, another good this about it is when you get good feedback and suggestions on how to make it better. If I can help anyone with the above please pm and I will do my best.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

w4tkins wrote:The plates to my knowllage are not factory fit, the are as additional parts from BMW (item 16). I found them by accident on ebay and they are very good quality.
Thanks for your help 8-)
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Steel grey is just adorable! I am sure I have seen your zed a few times going up Greetwell Road?

I may have been in either Toadster ( silver Z3 2.2), Sharky ( Steel grey Z3M) or Smartminxy ( white and silver Smart fortwo coupe :oops: )
I do wave but Greetwell Road is so busy you might have missed me.

P :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

That might have been the other half, she used to use zed as her daily commuter and went that way to her mums in cherry willingham.

When I get out in him (zed) I will keep my eyes peeled for you
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
TREGZY

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by TREGZY »

Has the suspension dropped a little more since you took that piccy btw??

:?:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Yes the car has dropped more, It has been sat in the garage for a couple of weeks. I just took him out for a punt as I finished work early.

It felt really light but then i looked down at the speedo :oops: and there was the answer. I have found that there is a squeak on the drivers side. As you go over a speed hump or push down on the suspension turret as squeaks :head:

Any ideas??? al have to jack it up and have a look.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Update 21/03/10:

Well the sun has been out and its been a rather productive few weeks.

I have now fitted my ZHP weighted gear knob and the shift feels alot smother. Also it is also more pleasing to the eye than the original (copy) gear knod that was fitted when I bought the car.

I also had a top dollar battery fitted as my original gave up the ghost during winter storage and a nice Ctek charger to finish it off:

I had to fit a longer positive lead which I got from halfords for a fiver. the engine really flys over on start up as these batteries are designed for deep discharge and for turning over big big engines.

I also got my fire extinguisher fitted. I didnt want it fitted under the seat so oppted fo the boot lid. In my opinion it looks good and fits a treat.

One of the main highlights of the weekend was Zed passing his MOT on friday. It was the his first MOT since I have owned it, so as you can guess it was nervious (also after completing the suspension revamp). I did get a compliment on my work from the mechanic, so I was very chuffed with myself.
I did find the squeek (or the mechanic did) it was the front ARB drop link. It was new but is sticking which is producing the squeek :head:

It was topped off with a nice run out with the misses and a pint on the way home.

Still to come:

powder coated spare wheel support and spare wheel as the where rustys as .....!
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

This is one of those restoration type jobs I want do on mine. I wish the you could buy wishbones for the MR at that price though. Nice written up and a top job you have given me a confidence boost reading this to tackle mine.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

I am glad it has been of some use, it is well worth it for the smile on your face when it is all done and to say "I did that"
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Update 14/04/10:

A few more things have now been added to the list of modifications to my zed:

A lovely set of style 42 staggard 17" alloys (kindly sold to me by TitanTim :thumb:, cheers Tim) with Michelins Pilot Sports. The have really finished off the suspension and have its given me the confidence to have fun in the twisties :lol:
A real stunnig set of wheels, born to be on a zed

Also a set of top quality stone guards fro Hang em high (thanks Nick :thumb:)
They have made a nice difference to the look of the car and have a practicle purpose. (deflect stone and hide the chips :oops: )
(all nice and shiney before the yorkshire cruise, what a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I am really pleased with suspension and now feel confident driving it after putting it through its paces on the yorkshire cruise and feel it was worth all the time,effort and bloody nuckles :)

Still to come:
TPI 12mm wheel spacers and longer bolts
VW cargo net (with inspiration from yalden, thanks bud)
CD changer hump removal
Thermostat and coolant change
A bucket load of Autoglym and a week off work to do it :roflmao:
Wind Deflector (cheers PORTMYSTER for the offer of yours) from a nice man called Canman :thumb:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
PORTMYSTER

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by PORTMYSTER »

Glad you have got one now and a great write up with some nice mods. Look forward to see future projects.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I've always loved Style 42's, they have a modern feel about them that really adds to the Z's lines!

I look forward to your next update 8-)
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Thanks yalden,

I had always wanted a set of these wheels but they are rear as rocking horse poo to get hold of. I had to settle for MV1's as they are very similar but not quite right. When I get the rear spacers on it will be sitting and looking exactly how I want it,
now just need to put a few more bells and whistles on it and enjoy the summer (if we get one). Then retire it to the garage for antother winter for more major works.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

They look fab Rob, suit the steel grey to a tee :wink: :)

Tim.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

they really suit the Zed Rob, look great now they are cleaned up, think the previous owner was too busy with his nob to clean them :devil:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Update 28/04/10: Thermostat /water pump/ belt and coolant change.

As advised I found the time yesterday to strip clean and replace the thermostat, water pump, belts and coolant.

With help from Mike and a few other I found it to be a simple and rewarding process. I had all the tools ready and wiating for the job but had to wait fot the parts to turn up from euro car parts.

I orderd a Wahler electroning thermostat, a water pump with a metal impeller (unlike the standard BMW part which is plastic) and a set of continental belts (one drive, one AC belt). I also got 4.5 litres of BMW coolant, block drain plug washer and a complete rad drain plug (which includes a 'o' ring and washer) and water from halfords.

I started off reading Mike’s thread on how to do it (thanks Mike :thumb:) and then set about doing it. I first loosened off the fan (no tool as that is another long story :head:) with a 32mm spanner and a larger preassure adjustment tool. Remember its a left hand thread!!!

I then followed mikes guide of removing the fan shrowd. Then jacking the car up on for stands and began to drain the rad. The plug is located on the bottom of the rad on the passenger side.

With the expansion tank cap off it followed like a gooden :oops: you may get wet :lol: I then continued as instructed to remove the rad, fan and shrowd.

With that off you need to remove the belts (if you are changing them) I took the tension off the AC belt to remove it and the slowley let the pully go back to normal. The drive belt tensioner requires a 16 mm socket and the push down, line up the locking pin holes and pushed in a long M6 bolt. This will allow you to remove the belt and crack on with the job at hand.
(note the holes for locking the tensioner with a M6 bolt in it)

I then found the block drain plug (under number 2 clyinder, exhaust manifold side) and drained the engine. Another wet job. Have a towel to hand (not for the floor/car for your face :oops:).

The thermostat can now be removed.Loosen off the engine lifting eye (one 10 mm nut and a 13mm nut which also holds the stat to the block) and then remove the other three 10 mm bolts.

Removing the water pump is a bit harder. Remove the four 10 mm nuts and this will free the pump up. There then are two treaded holes (one 9 one 3 oclock) you need to used two of the stat bolts to thread into these holes. Tightening one site a bit at a time this will edge the pump from the block without damaging anything. You can the remove the pulley (four 10mm bolts)

Now for a good clean up!!!! I spent a few hours with a wire brush, steel wool and allot of neat flash and the block came up nice :D
Before:
After:
I also cleaned the rad as it was full of grass and leaves.

The new parts arrived and I was all read for the rebuild. Here is the old stat (with broken lugs) and the new with metal lugs.
Old
New

Also the new pump with metal impeller

All the parts needed for the job (clean rad, water from halfords, coolant and 'o' rings from BMW)
I first replaced the rad drian plug

Then fitted the stat and pump (remembering they dont have to be white nuckle tight. As I was always taught, tight is tight and to tight is f****d :head:)
then all the belts went back as the where taken off as per my diagram.

Remember to relace the rad drain plug, I bought a hole new one (including washer and 'o' ring) just incase the old one was damaged as it is plastic. Making not not to over tighten!!!!

Then replace the fan, fit the showd over it and replace the rad. Replace all hoses (with clips and 'o' ring as required) and fill the system.
I pre mixed my coolant in a 5 litres bottle with a cap. My reason for this is I know it is mixed properly and I am not relying on the engine to mix it. (my ocd kicking in again). I did find if you squeeze the hoses as you fill this aids the you when bleeding.

I then ran the enine with the expansion tank lid on and bleed srew out until bubble came out. I the use my hand to opperate the throttle (under the air inlet mainifold) to hold the revs at 3000 rmp to get it hot and to get more air out.

I lowered the car to the ground, took a few pics and enjoyed a drive out in the sun. I then allowed the car to cool down and kept checking the level in the tank.
Job done, a big smile on my face and the engine temp bang smack in the middle. Hopefully this will help with my fuel consumption but mainly its another job done and a service wont be far behind it. (done my myself- oil, plugs, diff and gearbox oil and a earls cluth hose.

Thanks agian for all the help. Hopefully this might help other to fix thiers.

w4tkins
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Another nicely presented installment, thanks for sharing.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

thats a brill post Rob, and just at the right time as i used the Zed for work other day and temp didnt go above the blue then coming home work as normal bang in centre. :head: so thought i will do coolant change and have orded a new thermostat as it looks like mine is playing up. reading your post seems i need a few extra bits. not sure if i will do the water pump but guess it won't hurt.
fingers crossed it sorts out the fuel consumption problem. :wink:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Cheers for the replys, Sounds like yours needs doing Kev.

Dont know if the problem is the same on the four pot engine, but knowing BMW they like making things out of plastic. I did the water pump becuase I was in there. I would have changed the tensioners but the bearings where perfect. Well worth it thought.

I used Euro Car Parts, they do free next day delivery, (order first thing the day before and they should be with you about three the next) Good luck mate and post a few pics

Rob
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Update 15/07/10: CD43 & DICE iPod Kit

I have finally sourced all the bit for my standard looking head unit and iPod integration kit. I got round to fitting it all today.

First off I was looking for a BMW Business CD43 head unit. Looking all over the net and ebay they came up as a bit rare or in the regions of £150 second hand, bit too much for my budget. I did find this thread which made me think it was worth a try.

One popped up on eBay in good condition with code and a manual. I test fitted it and it was a seamless fit. The Rover unit uses the same 17 round pin audio lead and the car audio harness fit straight on. Also it has the same 10 pin quadlock cd changer connection. Be warned thought the quadlock connection is the same fit but on the Rover unit the pin configuration differs from BMW. So it will not work with a pre wired cd changer. It also would not work if I had got a business cd player because my zed has an old (factory fit) pioneer round 13 pin cd changer cable instead of the normal 3 & 6 pin BMW cd changer cable. I also placed a ///M badge over the Rover badge (not that tacky I think plus it looks better the Rover). Its the same as these ebay units at half the price :shock: .

Also be warned: if you buy a Rover/Range Rover or MG unit be sure it illuminates orange, some are green!!!

Rover head unit
audio/power connections
Rover Head unit model information

I had already removed my cd changer and was looking to fit a iPod kit. After allot of searching and phone calls I found a very helpful company that specially made me a harness (due to a different pin configuration).
InCariPod where fantastic. I had to explain it was a Z3, with a Rover cd player that was the same as the BMW unit but used a different quadlock pin set up :puzzle: (that really confused him :lol:) They made me a harness that plugged into the rear of the head unit. A short rover compatible 10 pin quadlock connection to the BMW 3 & 6 pin cable was made which ment I could fit the off the shelf DICE I-BMW-T5V.
I ordered it Monday and it turned up today (Wednesday), complete with full instructions: :D

Modified DICE cabling, left to right:
3 pin BMW connection - permanent live/data cable/ground
6 pin BMW connection - Rover 10 pin quadlock
DICE interface cable

DICE unit and DICE iPod cable (charger and sync)

Cut and soldered DICE cable - BMW audio harness

BMW harness connected the Rover unit complete with DICE cabling and DICE 10 pin quadlock

DICE module hidden behind the glove box

iPod cable poked through the glove box retaining latch (no holes needed to be drilled :D

iPod in glove box on an anti-slip mat

Complete unit in dash

Job done and I am very pleased with it. The Blaupunkt sound quality is fantastic (matched with my Alpine S series speakers) and is allot better than my old Sony X-crap unit (Bluetooth and iPod version, wasn’t cheap either :head:). There is no distortion and the new unit supports track text.

All in all a satisfying modification that gives Zed the standard look (including the cd players illumination) but with the twist of a quality iPod kit that is either iPod or cd player controlled
Last edited by w4tkins on Thu 15 Jul, 2010 15:58, edited 2 times in total.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Great job :thumb:

Just a tip if you have trouble with the cable fouling the glove box the route you've taken ? is that you can thread through the latch/lock hole. You need to remove the latch to thread through and then refit (easy to do) but also means no drilling and no fouling of the open closing. (I tried it your way and my glovebox would not shut properly so did it the other but yours may be ok?)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Jonttt wrote:Great job :thumb:

Just a tip if you have trouble with the cable fouling the glove box the route you've taken ? is that you can thread through the latch/lock hole. You need to remove the latch to thread through and then refit (easy to do) but also means no drilling and no fouling of the open closing. (I tried it your way and my glovebox would not shut properly so did it the other but yours may be ok?)
Thanks Jon

It seems ok at the minute but I am sure time will tell. If I have any problems I will try your way. Its nice to know there is another way of doing it without drilling holes :thumb:

(the imbarasing bit is it took longer to write the tread than it did to remove the old stereo,glove box, build the dice unit and wire and solder it all in :oops: )
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I am amazed how the unit is such a perfect LOOK in the panel.

A job very well done!

I wish the original unit had been left in the Z3 I bought....
TREGZY

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by TREGZY »

wow!

My observations:

-Like the wheels, best 17's ive seen on a zed.
-lots of technical pictures, which I don’t really understand, and just quickly scroll through.
-and the stereo sets us apart big time, and confirms that I now see that your a total purist, and it works (the extreme of this would be yalden). The headunit looks fantastic, in comparison ive just spent £££'s on a pioneer job, with alpine components and a sub. horses for courses....

Nice work 8-)
E102, E104, E110 and E37
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Rob Tan wrote:I am amazed how the unit is such a perfect LOOK in the panel.

A job very well done!

I wish the original unit had been left in the Z3 I bought....
Cheers Rob :thumb: its not that hard to change to one of these :wink:
TREGZY wrote:wow!

My observations:

-Like the wheels, best 17's ive seen on a zed.
-lots of technical pictures, which I don’t really understand, and just quickly scroll through.
-and the stereo sets us apart big time, and confirms that I now see that your a total purist, and it works (the extreme of this would be yalden). The headunit looks fantastic, in comparison ive just spent £££'s on a pioneer job, with alpine components and a sub. horses for courses....

Nice work 8-)
Hi TREGZY,

these are the third set of wheels on my zed and I think now I have got the look I want :D and I agree they are the best Zed wheels

I post allot of pics becuase when I was looking to do these mods I found few pics of how it was done. A picture does says a thousand words. I also did a how to as I hope it will help others if they want to do similar.

As for the purist part, I like to call it OCD :lol: I like the BMW standard look but all the good looking OEM parts are always spread over the zed range. I like to bring them all together (or try to) to give it my own stamp. Most of my work has been mechanical upgrades. I thinks its important to have a good base to start off with. Once thats all done I will go for the tarting up bit (respray ///M mirrors ect).

Thanks for the post :wink:

When I save up some more cash for my winter work (not wishing winter to come round that quick) I am planning on a full Bigg Red brake caliper overhaul (only £275 for all four 8-) bargain), goodridge lines, earls clutch hose, new brake fluid and a wheels refurb. 8-)
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I am going to keep an eye out for a second hand BMW head unit. They turn up for sale now and again here in NZ, and I just LOVE the way that one w4kins put in looks.

Also need to get the plug for the passenger's door air bag, covers for the hard top brackets, maybe one of those storage systems that attached to the inside of the boot lid ... and ...oh, I'll think of something else...
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

UPDATE: 11/08/10 valet and Z3 car cover

I have just made Zed even shinier :D (well a local valeter did the job for me) It came back as a if film had been peeled of my car and it had just rolled off the factory floor.

I did a few months ago: clay bar, polish and apply three layers of wax to my car. It was a bloody good job I put so much wax on!!!! I had a little incident with a can of black hammerite:oops:. I was spraying my mini moto about ten metres away from the garage (but the door was open by about a foot) and the wind had caught all the vapourised overspray and blew it into the garage :head:. I didnt notice for a while until I brushed past the car and it felt like sand paper!!!!.

I took it to a local valeter "jerry" and he worked his magic on poor Zed. He cut the car back by hand, then DA'd the whole body until is was silky smooth. Now even in artificial light the swirl marks have almost gone. Also he showed me a good trick for stone chips. On a dark car you can use colour match black polish to discard chips and marks. Now they look invisible!!!! I was speachless when I picked the car up. For £120 I think he did an amazing job, he aslo gave the interior a quick going over all in a day (8.30-5.30). I would really recommend him to anyone!!!

I also grabbed a bargain off fleebay. I obtained a genuine Z3 car cover in its original bag for £50 delivered. I did ask the seller to end the auction :twisted: and made him a fair offer I think, he was more than happy to save on ebay/paypal fees. He had sold his car 5 years ago and had this lying about. It is a bit grubby but after a wipe over with a bit of Mr Muscle it came up ok. There are dirty water mark like stains on it but is OEM, rare and a bargain. Now my zed can stay clean and protected in my garage :lol:

Mods on route:

TPI wheel spacers for the rear (due friday, cant wait :bounce:)
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hi Rob, looks bl00dy fabulous for £120 :shock: a bargain :lol: the guys done a really good job 8-)

Just one thing though, you could have run the iron over the car cover :devil:

Tim.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

TitanTim wrote:Hi Rob, looks bl00dy fabulous for £120 :shock: a bargain :lol: the guys done a really good job 8-)

Just one thing though, you could have run the iron over the car cover :devil:

Tim.
:roflmao:

Cheers Tim, I am over the moon with the results. All ready fot the santa pod show :lol:

As for the ironing, didnt want to burn the paintwork, melted wax everywhere :shock:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

very nice looking car there Watkins, you should be proud. Arguably one of the best colours BMW ever came up with, it really suits the Zed and you're work has only improved it.

Keep it up! :)
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Mad Max wrote:very nice looking car there Watkins, you should be proud. Arguably one of the best colours BMW ever came up with, it really suits the Zed and you're work has only improved it.

Keep it up! :)
Thanks max :thumb:

IMHO it is the best colour, its different and has a good depth to it. Just need to give it the "Mad Max" HID light look :wink:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Lol, glad I could contribute :)
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

looks great Rob will see it in the flesh pretty soon. ive manage to get an internet connection here in Orange County. so catching up on the latest stuff. love the cover the one i have is a bit to big for the zed but does the job i guess. i had my zed machine polished etc by a detailing guy last year and all i do now is use a sheepskin mit with 2 buckets and dry off with a huge car towel and the a quick spray of some Zanio detailing spray and a buff up and she looks brill. got my stuff from cleanyourcar.com
see ya soon fella

w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Now then Kev.

Really happy with the results. Didnt want to be shown up at santa pod or let the side down :wink:

O got early x mass present for ya:

Image Image
C u when you get back, dont forget my sick of rock :D
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

Looking Great and I agree with Mad Max steel grey is one of the best coulours on a Zed 8-)

Keep up the good work :thumb: