New Boxster pics

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

New Boxster pics

Post by Hang_em_high »

Finally got out with the roof down today. What can I say, apart from WOW.
All thoughts of possible ims failure gone from my head and just enjoyed the awesome drive :D Blistering performance with an exhaust note that sounds amazing :D All the thoughts and doubts about letting the VX go now long gone and so happy I got this instead.

Well here is a few pics taken at Herstmonceux Observatory East Sussex

Time for a new signature pic I think :wink:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Well Nick - what are we supposed to say?
This is a BMW forum after all :shock:

How does "mmmmm - not bad" grab you?

Hope you really enjoy it and your new found 'life'
It should make a good contrast (in the background) against Ron's banana :twisted:
Image :devil:
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Titan wrote:Well Nick - what are we supposed to say?

It should make a good contrast (in the background) against Ron's banana :twisted:
How about " well at least it's German" :lol:
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Hang_em_high wrote:

The VX is as well.

Vauxhall's VX 220R is a rebadged version of Opel Speedster which, in its turn, is based on Lotus Elise.
However, the British car manufacturer attempted to make the VX 220R even more powerful than Opel's Speedster so it installed a 2.0i Turbo 16v engine which could produce 220 horsepower.

I honestly would not know which car to choose between these two.

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Was the previous owner French by any chance?
Nummerplate (H8 FYL) could be read as misspelled: Hatefully LOL

Looks nice... The right colour for a Porsche IMO...
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Pictures of the Porsche look really good Nick. :thumb: Looking forward to seeing it.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

They really are a cracking drive...
Looks a very clean motor... welcome to the club :wink:

garyw
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

garyw wrote:They really are a cracking drive...

garyw
A secret owner :? :wink:
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

opening times are 9am -5-30 pm monday to friday sat 9am to 4pm
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Who's Phil and why do you hate him ?
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

who"s Phil and who hates who im lost please explain ?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

:?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

Im Lost can someone explain to me what" we are on about ?
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

Titan Tim, please explain.
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

whats scorpion on about ?
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

What are corky and scorpion on about :?:

Nice motor Hang_em_high :drive
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

I like French cheese :idea:
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

H8 FYL = Hate Phil :)
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Hard Top wrote:
Hang_em_high wrote:

The VX is as well.

Vauxhall's VX 220R is a rebadged version of Opel Speedster which, in its turn, is based on Lotus Elise.
However, the British car manufacturer attempted to make the VX 220R even more powerful than Opel's Speedster so it installed a 2.0i Turbo 16v engine which could produce 220 horsepower.

I honestly would not know which car to choose between these two.

HT
There was a VX220 (which were all N/A Z22SE 2.2s with 145hp) VX220 Turbo (which were all Z20LET 2.0 Turbo with 197hp) and the limited edition VXR220 (which were all 2.0 Turbo with 220hp and only 65 were built). Lotus designed and built the VX220s and actually shot themselves in the foot by making it better than their own S1 Elise and cheaper too. It was not based on the Elise but was built from the ground up and shared similarities and a few components from the Elise. It was branded as the VX220 by Vauxhall in the UK and Opel Speedster in the rest of Europe There was also 1 branded as the Daewoo Speedsteer to be destined for Asian markets but never went into production. Having driven 2.2 and Turbo models, along with a Boxter S and Z3M Coupe the VX220 Turbo would win hands down for handling.
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Behind the passenger compartment is Opel's new, all-aluminium 2.2-litre, four cylinder Ecotec engine, developing 147bhp, sufficient to see the aluminium and composite car get from 0-60mph in less than six seconds.
The Speedster puts Vauxhall and Opel in the spotlight as car manufacturers that are going places fast, who need no longer be considered merely as makers of mass-market family motors. The Speedster s role, put quite simply, is to transform the public image of the companies.

That's the view of Niels Loeb, the latest talent to arrive at the design HQ in Russelheim, Germany. Loeb, Australian-born assistant chief designer of Opel, can take just about al I the credit for the Speedster s exterior, while Steven Crijns is responsible for its wild interior. Under the eye of Martin Smith, lobe drew on the company's latest design DNA, and projected it further forward in a more radical, in-your-face fashion.

Speaking about the origins of the idea, Lobe explained: "We first asked the question, what is Opel today? We then asked ourselves, what will Opel be in the next century?

"The main conclusion was that we were not regarded as an aspirational brand, so we're setting out to put that right and win over more youthful customers." But how did the Speedster come about?

Where was the seed planted among the sprawling industrial setting that is Opel's Russelheim headquarters?
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Hang_em_high wrote:
garyw wrote:They really are a cracking drive...

garyw
A secret owner :? :wink:
No, just a long time lurker here at Zroadster.. :D
They can't get rid of me :roll:
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Nice choice mate, good car and they make a lovely noise :)

I have to be honest I hated the VX, imo one of the ugliest cars on the planet!..sort of like a ford ka :lol:

Enjoy the porka 8-)
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Nick

Porsche

Re: New Boxster pics

Post by Nick »

Hang_em_high wrote:Well here is a few pics

Looks good, enjoy.

:)

Nick
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Slight thread hijack here but it seems like the right time and place to ask a nagging question.... :dunce:

I found this forum last year when I thought I was in a position to buy a 'spare' set of wheels to have some summertime fun in. Tight finances put an end to that idea but following a small windfall I now have more to spend and will get the wind in my hair in 2011.....and herein lies the dilemma.

My first choice for looks, character etc., was a Z3 but having been a regular visitor here it seems I may need to be prepared to marry the thing and attend to it's every whim just to keep it going? Boot welds and the like put me off a bit. (Did the last 2003(?) Z3's have the boot weld problem?

My next choice would probably be a VX220 (see the link now :lol: ) followed some way behind by a Z4.

My budget for a Z3 was around £5k and whilst I could stick a couple of grand more on top for the right motor would need convincing that i'd have less worries by spending more dollars?
I may go to £10k+ for a VX as I think I can convince the missus that the right model will hold it's value, and have a relative who's a former Vauxhall mechanic, but am concerned that it's more of racing car experience than sports 'tourer'? I'll only be using it for weekend jolllies to the country.

Finally the Z4. £30k in white with a metal roof, great.......but it seems there's a lot of compromises on engine size, mileage.....the lower priced ones have often notched up a few k and it's missing something that the 3 has in bundles.

Obviously I expect a heavy leaning towards the Z3 but before going out and driving a dozen notors i'd welcome the comments from those of you have owned or driven the other metal?

PS: Love Porsche and a great motor you've go there but could never get a Boxster as the 911 rules. :) :wink:
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Warrior wrote:Slight thread hijack here but it seems like the right time and place to ask a nagging question.... :dunce:

I found this forum last year when I thought I was in a position to buy a 'spare' set of wheels to have some summertime fun in. Tight finances put an end to that idea but following a small windfall I now have more to spend and will get the wind in my hair in 2011.....and herein lies the dilemma.

My first choice for looks, character etc., was a Z3 but having been a regular visitor here it seems I may need to be prepared to marry the thing and attend to it's every whim just to keep it going? Boot welds and the like put me off a bit. (Did the last 2003(?) Z3's have the boot weld problem?

My next choice would probably be a VX220 (see the link now :lol: ) followed some way behind by a Z4.

My budget for a Z3 was around £5k and whilst I could stick a couple of grand more on top for the right motor would need convincing that i'd have less worries by spending more dollars?
I may go to £10k+ for a VX as I think I can convince the missus that the right model will hold it's value, and have a relative who's a former Vauxhall mechanic, but am concerned that it's more of racing car experience than sports 'tourer'? I'll only be using it for weekend jolllies to the country.

Finally the Z4. £30k in white with a metal roof, great.......but it seems there's a lot of compromises on engine size, mileage.....the lower priced ones have often notched up a few k and it's missing something that the 3 has in bundles.

Obviously I expect a heavy leaning towards the Z3 but before going out and driving a dozen notors i'd welcome the comments from those of you have owned or driven the other metal?

PS: Love Porsche and a great motor you've go there but could never get a Boxster as the 911 rules. :) :wink:
First off the boot weld issue mainly affected the Z3M but it can also affect the 3.0 and 2.8 with a few very rare cases affecting the smaller engine models. If caught early before any damage has been done it's a relatively inexpensive and easy repair so dont let that put you off the Z3.If you go the Z3 route my personal opinion would be to get the 3.0 engine model. I started with a 1.9 then changed it for the 2.8 but really wished I had held out the 3.0.
VX220 as you know I have just sold and although a lovely car,it really does need dedication to live with as an everyday car. The fact that it's a Vauxhall and the servicing cost are the same as a Corsa will be no compensation for the hardships of living with it. It really is a second car and only the hardcore could manage it everyday. With a 10k budget you still would not have enough for the turbo model but could pick up a nice n/a with change.
Z4 prices are coming down and I saw a few that took my eye which were mainly the 3.0 with between 60k-70k going for between 7.5k-8.5k, so are an option but compared to the Z3 I find them a bit characterless with very little you can do to personalise them,unlike the Z3.
My advice would be to stick with your first choice and find a good Z3 with history, and dont be put off by the niggles you see here.
For every problem thread you see on this forum there will be a hundred owners with no problems,but havent posted to tell you. No car is without it's problems and the Z3 is a reliable, solid sporty tourer that in the whole is bullet proof. :)
P.S the Boxster S is a 911 996 minus the back seats :lol:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

slight thread hijack, but I have a BMW Zroadster........ :roflmao:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I wonder what would happen of we registered on a Porsche forum and started talking about Zeds? :shock:
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Titan wrote:I wonder what would happen of we registered on a Porsche forum and started talking about Zeds? :shock:
Titan, I get the distinct impression that my updates on my cars are causing you some concern :|
I post because I am a member of this forum, not because of the car Im currently driving. I still feel im able to give helpful, and advice of value. (the post above for example)
Unlike some who now post on this forum and contribute very little other than wise cracks, (never owned a Zed) I have actually owned 2 Zeds.
I am though quite happy to stop posting if your are finding my posts to much to bear and uninteresting.
Thankyou all, keep Zedding and please consider this my last post.
:(
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Don't stop Hang Em High, (errrr not quite what I meant, but funny though!)

I'm sure no offence was intended from anyone here. To be honest, I'm not a fan of either Porsche or Vauxhall but have enjoyed reading your journey to driving contentment.

I browse a few car specific forums these days, and most have a lot of non marque related posts. As you say this is a nice forum, free in the main from trolls, flames and numpties.

Stick around a while, and if it helps I'll start posting about my diesel Mini Cooper for a little distraction... :D

Gaz
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Oh dear Nick ...
I'm afraid that this is another example of a comment being taken to heart when it was said and intended in jest.
Had I wanted to post on a Porsche forum I would have done so - but to what effect?
I thought that you regarded us almost as part of your family and that we were your friends.
I certainly did not intend any offence nor is it my wish that you stop posting.
I'm truly sorry if that's how you feel.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Good job I didn't ask about the Chrysler Crossfire then :D
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Come on chaps, don't fall out over a post written in jest, as was gookah's.
I am a petrol head and would love to hear more about the Porsche and Gazhyde's Mini Cooper.
This is a car forum after all, even if Z specific, still a forum about cars.

Have a nice day everyone.

HT
HT

Leg Puller
Micky Taker
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Warrior wrote:Good job I didn't ask about the Chrysler Crossfire then :D
The Chrysler Crossfire is a rear-wheel drive sports car marketed by Chrysler as both coupé and roadster and was built for Chrysler by Karmann of Germany.

The Crossfire shares 80% of its components with other Mercedes-Benz models.
The engine bay of the Crossfire is virtually identical to the Mercedes-Benz SLK320 on the R170 platform.
This engine bay has now been proven capable of housing Mercedes V8 engines, which increases the car's performance considerably.
The wheelbase and track width are also identical to the SLK320.
The seats from the SLK320 bolt directly into the Crossfire chassis.
The dashboard, control panel and instruments are mostly identical to the SLK also.

Also German. I like them. Told you I am a petrol head. :)

HT
HT

Leg Puller
Micky Taker
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

I've always kept an eye out for Boxsters, especially seeing they are so cheap now. There is some serious nice tuning that can be done!

New bigger wheels and clear lights all around would my 1st step 8-)
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

:oops: Ok so it wasn't my last post. Thankyou for the pm's you know who you are and thankyou. I would also like you to know that I have apologized to Terry (Titan) for my very touchy reaction this morning. Got out of bed the wrong side :oops:

On a brighter note :lol: Had the dent guy out this morning and once again performed miracles with those nasty carpark dings. Drivers door and both rear wings now looking perfect :D Gave it clean when he had gone and only then noticed the two very small ones on top of the nearside wing :head: Next visit for those ones I think :lol: and with my car park at work it wont be long :(
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Hang_em_high wrote::oops: Ok so it wasn't my last post. Thankyou for the pm's you know who you are and thankyou. I would also like you to know that I have apologized to Terry (Titan) for my very touchy reaction this morning.
Apology accepted Nick - thank you

Hang_em_high wrote: Got out of bed the wrong side :oops:
Don't tell me - your side is up against the wall .... :head: :head:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

The boxter s looks awsome nick! But last i spoke to you you said you had pulled out of selling the vx???? Good choice, well done!.....
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Warrior wrote:Good job I didn't ask about the Chrysler Crossfire then :D
A dam good job you never asked about those :lol: horrible horrible car :lol: awful styling,why on earth they felt the need to bolt on a kitchen sink drainer and call it a bonnet I dont know. Horrible poor quality plastic interior (had an 08 Voyager,so I know.......horrible) The only saving grace with the thing is it's merc engine, but thats no good when the rest of it breaks down :lol:
So it's a dam good job you never asked about them :lol:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Hard Top wrote:This is a car forum after all, even if Z specific, still a forum about cars.
ahem.... Any Bikers? :roflmao: :thumb:

er..... and no offence meant :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Now that we've hopefully all agreed that Zeds are our interest/obsession I½dare to ask the folowing question:

How many of us are TRUE petrolheads - i.e have had an Alfa Romeo???

I had a 1986 Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 with 2 Dell'orto Carburettors 1996 - 2002
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater

Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Ferdinand wrote:I had a 1986 Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 with 2 Dell'orto Carburettors 1996 - 2002
You don't have to be a petrol head to buy an Alfa Romeo, just a Richard head.

Just kidding.......... :lol:

HT
HT

Leg Puller
Micky Taker
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Ferdinand wrote:Now that we've hopefully all agreed that Zeds are our interest/obsession I½dare to ask the folowing question:

How many of us are TRUE petrolheads - i.e have had an Alfa Romeo???

I had a 1986 Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 with 2 Dell'orto Carburettors 1996 - 2002
Do later Alfa's count :?:
I had a GTV 2.0 in red
156 2.5 V6 in silver that got written off when the bonnett catch failed at 80 mph. That was bye bye windscreen and sunroof :o
Replaced that with a 156 2.5 V6 in red :)
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

An Alfa Romeo counts.... I never got to like the 156 - too modern somehow and the build quality was rubbish!!!

The AR GT is ok - had a 159 as a rental car some years ago - the car was brand new... and in typical AR style the "check engine" light came on the second day :lol:

You buy an Alfa with your heart - it will give you immense driving pleasure one moment and break your economy (and heart) 5 minutes later.. erhhhh :shake: that sounds like a my Range Rover by the way :shock: naaah only needs a new engine.....
Ferdinand

eame64

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eame64 »

Think the Boxter looks great Hang em High,enjoyed hearing about it.We looked at the idea of having one of these before we bought the z,but we thought that the service and parts would be to expensive for what would basically be a toy.Anyway think it looks great.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

eame64 wrote:Think the Boxter looks great Hang em High,enjoyed hearing about it.We looked at the idea of having one of these before we bought the z,but we thought that the service and parts would be to expensive for what would basically be a toy.Anyway think it looks great.
Thanks mate, I have a good Porsche indie near to me who i've known for years who will be looking after the car and I dont think it's going to work out any dearer to maintain than the Z3. That is of course if the engine doesn't go bang with IMS failure :lol:
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Ferdinand wrote:it will give you immense driving pleasure one moment and break your economy (and heart) 5 minutes later.. erhhhh :shake: that sounds like a my Range Rover by the way :shock: naaah only needs a new engine.....
I don't know what year or model you have, and I don't know what a new engine would cost you, but down here they are selling for peanuts at the moment.

HT (The translation of Automatic to Vending Machine made me chuckle)

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... jnd%3dtrue
HT

Leg Puller
Micky Taker
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Hang_em_high wrote:
Warrior wrote:Slight thread hijack here but it seems like the right time and place to ask a nagging question.... :dunce:

First off the boot weld issue mainly affected the Z3M but it can also affect the 3.0 and 2.8 with a few very rare cases affecting the smaller engine models. If caught early before any damage has been done it's a relatively inexpensive and easy repair so dont let that put you off the Z3.If you go the Z3 route my personal opinion would be to get the 3.0 engine model. I started with a 1.9 then changed it for the 2.8 but really wished I had held out the 3.0.
VX220 as you know I have just sold and although a lovely car,it really does need dedication to live with as an everyday car. The fact that it's a Vauxhall and the servicing cost are the same as a Corsa will be no compensation for the hardships of living with it. It really is a second car and only the hardcore could manage it everyday. With a 10k budget you still would not have enough for the turbo model but could pick up a nice n/a with change.
Z4 prices are coming down and I saw a few that took my eye which were mainly the 3.0 with between 60k-70k going for between 7.5k-8.5k, so are an option but compared to the Z3 I find them a bit characterless with very little you can do to personalise them,unlike the Z3.
My advice would be to stick with your first choice and find a good Z3 with history, and dont be put off by the niggles you see here.
For every problem thread you see on this forum there will be a hundred owners with no problems,but havent posted to tell you. No car is without it's problems and the Z3 is a reliable, solid sporty tourer that in the whole is bullet proof. :)
P.S the Boxster S is a 911 996 minus the back seats :lol:
Ok, i'll focus my attention on a Zed again but why is it everyone I see and like requires a full day out and 400 mile round trip to view :( :head:
ZedDad

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ZedDad »

Nice pics of the Coxster! :D Keep posting I for one enjoy all of the banter of this forum.

I also had an Alfa (155) had it for 6 weeks untill the Fire brigade modified it for me by making it a convertible. :bawl: The other guy fell asleep at the wheel.

Have now just bought the 1 series (118d M Sport soot chucker :shock: )

Have only driven it for 100 miles but so far all seems well.

Keep on posting with humour guys.

Frank
For the smiles Image For the miles Image