XVar's Z3 - Updated 12-12-13 - Steering Wheel Refurb

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: XVar's 1997 2.8L Z3 - Updated 30-05-13 - Coilovers!

Post by Brian H »

What a transformation, the rear does look low though :shock:.

Watch out for tyre rub with 20mm spacers on, are you getting the rear arches rolled? I have 15mm on my butlift and would not want any more.

Good job though, having done similar it is also satisfying :thumb:
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: XVar's 1997 2.8L Z3 - Updated 30-05-13 - Coilovers!

Post by XVar »

Next on the list of things to do was to get a steering wheel refurb as the old one had water damage due to the leak in the roof that was present when I bought the car. As recommended by others on this forum I went with Royal Steering Wheels, Jack the guy who runs it did an absolutely sterling job at producing exactly what I asked for and I would wholey recommend going to him if you need a steering wheel refurb. Pictures speak louder than words so here's the before and after:

Before

After
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: XVar's Z3 - Updated 12-12-13 - Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by Southernboy »

That is a great steering wheel job!! You really need to do something about the airbag module though...I doubt it would do any harm to have it covered with some of the perforated leather as on the steering wheel....
Oh, and if you have a fear of airbags exploding, rest assured that they can only be detonated by an electrical current, so they're safe to handle.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The steering wheel and the matching red piping "here and there" looks really good. Must get my wheel done - not sure what similar piping/edging I could do on a silver car :shrug
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think you need to consider a center armrest.... :wink:

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Southernboy wrote:That is a great steering wheel job!! You really need to do something about the airbag module though...I doubt it would do any harm to have it covered with some of the perforated leather as on the steering wheel....
Oh, and if you have a fear of airbags exploding, rest assured that they can only be detonated by an electrical current, so they're safe to handle.... :wink:
The only trouble with covering the airbag module is that manufacturers spent ages designing and testing the cover so that it will break open when the airbag is set off, so I'm sure just covering it with leather won't hurt?

I know it doesn't match but I would rather it went off as designed that possibly not.

By the way the wheel looks really good, is it any fatter than the original.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i