Alpine White III 2.8 Eaton M62 build

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Few more progress pics should have some more after the weekend too!

Plastic cut from old rear bumper to fill the holes.
Soldered into place
Filled and flatted down ready for priming
Aero skirts flatted
Rear bumper
Sorry about all the pics but thats what i like to see myself so have a good gander :D
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Right hit on another little problem the aero spoiler arrived today so i tried it on the boot and as i thought it covers part of the boot badge. Theres two things i can do either cut the spoiler to go round the badge or fill the boot badge recess. I know its a rare part but personally i think cut the spoiler as i wanted to keep the boot badge what do you guys think? :squeeze:

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

A couple more pics of the bumper sanded down had to go that far to get rid of some dodgy paint! Also the front and rear wings stonechipped and i have also etch primed the other side as they went back to bare metal too because of stonechips. Was going to prime them today in a high build primer but got rained off! :(
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Cut the spoiler, if you do it right it will look so good :)

As for front bumper while its in this state have you considered running a square front plate to one side (like some alfa's) and leaving the front smooth without the holder? I'm doing this myself when I get round to it, imo a very clean look without the central no. Plate :

BTW for me this is the most interesting thread I've read in a while, keep up the good work !
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers Shanty thats exactly what i thought. As for the front bumper i did have something like that in mind as dads old alfa ran the plate on the passenger side? Also where did you get them acs front splitters from if you don't mind me asking :lol:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I would smooth out the badge, rather than cut the spoiler. Just not convinced about leaving the badge. Would leave a much less cluttered rear end.

You could try messing around in a photoshop type program and see what it looks like with/without it. Someone on here must have the skills to mock it up.

Gary
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Daz3 wrote:Cheers Shanty thats exactly what i thought. As for the front bumper i did have something like that in mind as dads old alfa ran the plate on the passenger side? Also where did you get them acs front splitters from if you don't mind me asking :lol:
I managed to catch someone selling some he recently bought from rossitors, still set me back over £250 but they are worth it. Try CA automotive for originals but expect to pay £300 or more. Replicas can be had but have no experience of quality/fitment. I know there are carbon fiber Replicas on eBay somewhere
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

GazHyde wrote:I would smooth out the badge, rather than cut the spoiler. Just not convinced about leaving the badge. Would leave a much less cluttered rear end.

You could try messing around in a photoshop type program and see what it looks like with/without it. Someone on here must have the skills to mock it up.

Gary
Thing is i've already lost the side grill badges so i'm only left with the bonnet and boot and really wanted to keep them plus i thought it'd look alright. If someone could photoshop it for me i'd be gratefull. Thanks Daz
Naeem.m

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Naeem.m »

I agree with shanty. Cut around it and I think it'll look awesome.
Cut and then maybe sand the cut section and maybe flatten and curve it slightly , If that makes sense :? .

Loving the updates and looking forward to more.
Keep it up mate. :wink:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers for the advice Naeem I get what u mean :wink: I think I'm gona cut it and maybe have a go tomorrow night! All being well at the weekend we should see some primer if the weather holds out :roll:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Right i've chopped it :D
Got the spoiler sorted out tonight still think it needs a few tweeks in places to get perfect but only had a bonnet badge to mock up so will have a better go tomorrow. I also tapered the edge a bit but you can't really tell until it gets some primer on. What do you guys reckon i think it looks cool!

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Absolutely spot on!! 8-) If i find a matching spoiler will you cut it for me? I reckon it will look far more oem with the cut out and badge

Cant wait to see this car painted
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

shantybeater wrote:Absolutely spot on!! 8-) If i find a matching spoiler will you cut it for me? I reckon it will look far more oem with the cut out and badge

Cant wait to see this car painted
Thanks again shanty glad so many people are taking interest in my project and gratefull for all the advice and help! I think cutting was the only way really filling it wouldn't have looked OEM. If you find one i'll chop it for you no problem. I'll also keep an eye out for you.
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

Great thread, and hats off for undertaking such a task.

Looking forward to seeing the end results 8-)
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

loving this thread, keep up the great work. :thumb:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I think cutting round the badge was the best way to go, but will it now be a water trap without "feathering" the edge a bit more
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Great read this, I admire your skills, re the badge think I would try and maintain the gap that you have at the top all round it, just don't look quite right to me, but that's just my opinion.
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Thanks for all the comments! I think the spoiler needs a bit more tweaking will do this and give it a coat of primer and see where we stand. As for it being a water trap I'm not fussed it'll clean. :)
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

cant wait to see this Daz.... its going to look fantastic 8-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Amz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Amz »

wow looking good, love the spoiler idea

cant wait to see the progress
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Z3cade wrote:cant wait to see this Daz.... its going to look fantastic 8-)
+1, really looking forward to seeing the car at the end of this project.:thumb:
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Few more progress pics got pretty much everything ready for topcoat bar the doors and bonnet.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

nice update! getting there mate :)
Naeem.m

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Naeem.m »

The spoiler looks spot on Daz great job :wink:

Wish I was as handy ,I think I'd strip my car and re spray it too :)
Cant wait to see the panels back on the car in Apline White. I know it's going to look awesome.

I think you should look out for a hard top either in black which I think will look super or you could re spray that alpine white too.

What have you decided interior wise?
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers guys Naeem I already have a hardtop :wink: Also have a contrasting colour in mind for a few bits! As for the interior I've got hold of a full 'M' interior including the dash and windscreen surround in estoril blue and black! Should look cool it's nice to finally have a few bits in primer and flatted down really excited about putting some White on now! :D
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

the white zeds are my fav :D

it will look awesome

The 'BEAST' 666
6 pot roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 6 pot roadster »

Daz, RE the aero boot lid.

An OEM spoiler such as the one fitted to the XR4x4 (I had one a previous life, pre 'Z' ) has a channel in the under side to prevent water pooling on the hatch. This could be a discrete solution, a channel a couple of mm wide and deep on the underside. NB just big enough to clean with a pipe cleaner when it gets gunged up.

Loving the quality and direction of your work

J
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Project is looking great, its gonna look fantastic in alpine white! Can't wait to see the finished results, keep us updated :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Right little teaser for you i've got this week off work so if the weather holds out a bit i'll be able to get some serious work done. :D

What do ya reckon? This is straight out the gun needs colour sanding and polishing yet but pretty good as is.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Looks great! The paint looks like its been done to a proffessional standard! 8-) I hope the rest of panels come out as good!!
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

shantybeater wrote:Looks great! The paint looks like its been done to a proffessional standard! 8-)
I do try :oops:

Just gotta get the rest as good now. The colour really changes in different lights as well but looks best out in the sunlight 8-)
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Looks very good :)

Better than when i sprayed my vauxhall chevette in white. I used 18 cans of spray paint!

When the rust came through i sprayed over it :head: It looked good for a day or so!

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Wow great work! Have you thought about soothing aero spoiler in to look even more oem?

Z3 1.9 | 17" ACS Style 2s refurbed in grey/silver | Debadged | New Rear Window | Retro fitted Fog lights | HID kit | Clarion slim sub | Clear side indicators | Colour coded handles | Halo Front lights | Hardtop | Winter 15" Style 27s on Vredestein Wintrax
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

J1SUA wrote:Wow great work! Have you thought about soothing aero spoiler in to look even more oem?
Cheers i dont think im going to smooth it in just incase the filler cracks over time i've seen a few 'barry' cars with stuff smoothed and cracks i thought id leave it :D
Just been basecoating the rear quarters and bumpers today so should have some lacquer on later. Trouble is the flies seem to like white so its being a bit of a nightmare but hopefully we'll get there!
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Looks fabulous, what a job to undertake, i have been having sleepless nights putting a dvd cd in the M.. The only thing that concerns me is, i would have had all black interior to go with the white, will the blue be a bit deck chairy, if you know what i mean :wink: Well done
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

Any progress?
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Yeah just not put any pics up yet I've just stripped the remaining bits off the car and in the engine bay. Gave it all a good clean and stonechipped all in the arches and underneath the car. Engine bays primed so just gotta do the windscreen surround then topcoat. Just waiting for some poly bushes and brake discs so I can put back together and move it. Cheers Daz
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

So here's where we're at now the car shell is ready for paint this weekend, i've already stonechipped underneath and will be putting a full polybush powerflex kit on along with some ap coilovers and rose jointed top mounts. I also have some drilled and grooved discs front and back to go on.

Also i've been having a play at work. :D i got dissapointed about the aero skirts not being the right ones so i've decide to add about 30mm visual depth to the OE skirt. I feel the standard skirt just falls under the car too quick what do ya reckon?
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Wow daz... youve done some serious work there :shock:
The first pic above looks very :( like someones nicked everything!!

The lower skirts will work lovely :wink:

When do you think its going to be compleated? Were all eger to see it :squeeze:

Keep up the good work!
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers mate not too sure when it's gonna be done but if I can get the shell painted this weekend that means I can start putting panels on as there finished as I'm running out of room. Got my eye on a set of wheels for it although it means forking out £700 but I'm very tempted! Did you get a new set for your zed not seen any pics yet?
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Oh yeah we have a scrap man who keeps walking past and having a good look but he ain't getting his hands on it lol! Don't worry I still have all the bits in the garage, shed, house pretty much everywhere ha ha.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Good progress, will be interested to see how you get on with the sills, I guess you won't know till you match up the surrounding panels?
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

Do you do the painting outside. I was under the impression that car paint had to be oven dried :?:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

No there's all types I'm using a 2k paint basecoat and lacquer which is air drying.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Daz3 wrote:No there's all types I'm using a 2k paint basecoat and lacquer which is air drying.
As long as you ant doing it with aerosol cans from halfords ;-) lol..
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Z3cade wrote:
Daz3 wrote:No there's all types I'm using a 2k paint basecoat and lacquer which is air drying.
As long as you ant doing it with aerosol cans from halfords ;-) lol..
Lol that would cost more than the cars worth in rattle cans and still be rubbish! Now I've got the feel for the spray gun it's a doddle! :lol:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Finally got the shell sprayed on thursday came out pretty good just got to do inside the boot and the panel across the rear window again as got a few bits in.

I can now start putting panels back on as i get them done now.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Top man, great effort, very brave, I love white Zeds
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

white z

Post by si-forks »

Great job :D :D wish i had the balls to do a full respray well done mate hats off to ya :lol: i love the way Zs are so easy to work on such a good D.I.Y. car :)
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Great work Daz :thumb:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8