restoring the old girl

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

restoring the old girl

Post by bigchap39 »

bought this for a £1000 as needed a fair bit done.Z3 2.8 1998.with private plate and the hard top aswel.pics are from the day i bought it and gave it a wash.
so far i have fitted
rear discs
rear pads
hand brake cable
rear drop links
apex rear lowering springs 35mm
front discs
front pads
brake sencor
front callipers
front bushes
front apex springs
osf fog lamp
wheels refurbed
air flow meter
full engine service
all new fuses

still to do strut top bearing,rocker cover gasket and is booked in for full stainless exhaust next weekend if i get it back on its wheels this weekend once i fit the strut top bearings.
Fair bit of cash spent on her but thankfully being a mechanic get allparts trade price and fit myself.Stainless exhaust is a bit pricy but fair bit cheaper than buying bm exhaust or aftermarket one.
Think i may change the roof to a tan one to mach the interior aswel.
needs a full valet and good polish then it will be time to put it up for sale.
Am looking for rear speakers and drivers mirror if anyone can help which i have posted in parts section aswel.
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: restoring the old girl

Post by pingu »

all new fuses :shock:

a lot of work there. I know how you feel. I've not been doing mine to sell as there is little profit by the time you have bought all the parts. You did well getting it so cheap.
Pingu
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

so far price of parts is sitting at £608 not including exhaust which is £450 supplied and fitted as getting it made.
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

looks a great bargain. If you are going to sell it why not sell the private plate and hard top separately. The sale price of the car will cover your outgoings- the top and plate will be your profit. I don't think either will add much to the price of the car if sold as one.
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

NOOO! Don't fit a tanned roof - go for a blue one - it'll look 10-times more stylish!!!
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

dont think the blue roof would look good but not seen any to judge.saw one like mine with a tan roof and it looked sweet.
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

managed to get a set of z3 M front struts for her as i bought apex lowering springs for an M and the springs dont fit the original 2.8 legs due to the cup size being bigger in diameter compared to the new springs which are smaller for the M struts. will build up front legs and suspension once i get them as have the new strut top bearings and rubber mounts along with the rear wishbone bushes to fit to the front.
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

the old girl is nearly there.should be back on its wheels tomorrow for first time in 6 months.just got the front wishbone bush to fit and then it off to get an exhaust made next weekend all going well.started giving it a clean today and some pics of work.
wheel before cleaning
after cleaning and centre caps painted
not sure on the stickers i put on but need to see it out the garage first to see it better
got the buffer out and started on the body work.got the boot,and whole of o/s done.all polished up.
bootlid
side
quater panel
front z3m struts with apex lowering springs
get the rest cleaned tomorrow all going well.
shes just about ready to go.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

bigchap39 wrote:dont think the blue roof would look good but not seen any to judge.saw one like mine with a tan roof and it looked sweet.
The tan roof might look sweet initially and it may not bother you if you're going to sell on - but keeping a tan roof clean is a challenge to say the least. After 8 yrs of trying I gave up and had a new green one fitted

Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

got her back on all fours today after polishing her all with the buffer.
sitting quite low on the apex springs all round and Z3M front struts.
some pics
nearly there with the small resto of the Z3.interior to clean and exhaust to get fitted.
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

not done anything last couple of weeks as been working.Got the gearbox and diff oil to change tomorrow then take it a drive for first time in 6 months.Lets see how she handles,brakes and runs after all the work done.Gets valeted next week by my mate and stainless exhaust fitted next week.Then new mot as runs out august then it will be ready for sale.How much do you think its worth out of interest?3 owners,137 thou miles,f/s/h.last owner before me had it 9 years.
Heres a list of whats all been done:
BMW REPAIR COSTS

BMW Z3 £1000
WHEELS-£100
REAR PADS-£15.30
HAND BRAKE CABLE-£15.30
REAR DISCS x 2-£56.40
REAR DROP LINKS x 2-£13.68
FRONT DISCS x2-£32.40
FRONT PADS-£9.59
FRONT CALIPERS x 2-£86.28
FRONT BRAKE SENCOR-£9.24
OIL-£27.06
OIL FILTER-£4.79
AIR FILTER-£9.24
PLUGS x 6-£18.00
ENGINE CLEANER-£5.99
WONDER WHEELS-£5.41
Z3M FRONT STRUTS x 2-£40.00
LOWERING SPRINGS-£60.47
STRUT TOP BEARINGS x 2-£41.94
EXHAUST/CATALYTIC CONVERTER CERAMIC-£133.20
EXHAUST STAINLESS-£??.??
EXHAUST GASKET-£??.??
ROCKER COVER GASKET-£29.94
BRAKE FLUID-£2.69
WING MIRROR-£40.00
FRONT O/S/F FOG LIGHT-£26.25
SPEAKERS-£??.??
ALPINA WHEEL STICKERS-£16.50
WHISHBONE BUSHES x 2-£29.40
RUBBING COMPOUND-£8.40
PRIMER-£3.62
MONTREAL BLU PAINT-£4.43
MASKING TAPE-£1.49
SHORT SHIFT GEARSTICK-£20.00
BUMPER LIGHT LENSE-£10.00
INSIDE DOOR HANDLE TRIM-£4.00
TORNEAU COVER-£40.00
VALET-£??.??
MOT-£40.00
BATTERY-£30.00
TOTAL CAR/PARTS SO FAR NOT INCLUDING THE EXHAUST AND VALET =£1991.01.
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

finally out the garage.took for a wee run and she handles brilliant.need to re-blead the brakes again.
you can see the differance in ride high from these new pics.
when i first got her
to current stance
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Some handy work there - interesting thread :)

Not sure on the Alpina decals but those wheels if genuine are better being sold/replaced before sale - I second Pistols post re hardtop/plate.

No idea on value but potentially worth more with those taken off and sold separately.
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

i think i will be removing decals as look a bit naff.genuine wheels.selling as complete package,wheels,reg,hardtop all going with the car.Think the car is sold pending viewing as was more about the resto rather than making a fortune.Solong as i cover my labour costs when sold i'll be happy.
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

where can I get those seats!!!???
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Buz007 wrote:where can I get those seats!!!???
They are M sport seats, just like mine!

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.