Armrest Fitted

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Armrest Fitted

Post by Captain »

Armrest finally fitted, after waiting for my cupholder to arrive from Germany, well worth the wait, very nice to use while cruising, thanks to Southernboy for a quality product.

ImageImage
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Armrest Fitted

Post by micklaw »

looks very smart captain.
was it much of a job to fit????? :D
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Hi micklaw, very easy to fit, just need to drill three holes and secure.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Where did you get you cup holder and was it expensive? I have one of those rests from southernboy too.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Captain wrote:Armrest finally fitted, after waiting for my cupholder to arrive from Germany, well worth the wait, very nice to use while cruising, thanks to Southernboy for a quality product.

I think that arm rest looks perfect - I'd love one because I only use my Zed in the summer and then usually go on a continental trip for our big annual holiday. I have a back problem after a flying accident years ago so being able to rest both of my elbows while still holding the steering wheel would be so much more comfortable for me.
Can you tell me how much they cost and where to get one?

Thanks
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

huntert wrote:Where did you get you cup holder and was it expensive? I have one of those rests from southernboy too.

I bought one from the dealer last week 51168413622 £52 from memory. Ordered and in the dealers by 1pm the next day.
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Bought the cupholder from the dealer was quite expensive, you can buy the armrest from Southernboy here on the forum.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

I already have the arm rest from southernboy..just trying to source a cupholder.............
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

('_')Z3 wrote:
huntert wrote:Where did you get you cup holder and was it expensive? I have one of those rests from southernboy too.

I bought one from the dealer last week 51168413622 £52 from memory. Ordered and in the dealers by 1pm the next day.
Is that the part number? which dealer did you use?
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Yeah that's the part number. Bought it from halliwell jones in Warrington
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Thanks for the info, its a diferent number on realoem.com
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

('_')Z3 wrote:

Which dealer are you talking about?
With a little application I found out you're talking about a part number on E-Bay - and it's not an arm rest but a cup holder.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

That is the part number for the cup/can holder. You then need to buy the leather padded part from 'southernboy' and attach it to the cup holder or alternatively make/source your own padded part. The armrest is not an OEM part and justroadster no longer make or sell them.
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

I know that. lol. I already have the armrest...i was just saying that the cup holder has a different part number on realoem.com
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Hence why I was clarifying it for John above ^^^^^^^ :lol:
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

So the part number on here is for the cup holder at a dealers, and its different to the part number from realoem.com for the same part? lol
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Check this diagram on real oem under the accesories and retrofittings section, listed as a cupholder/coinbox. It shows a picture of the part and the same part number listed at the dealers.

Also the same number comes up for the same part on bmminiparts and coopers, but both are more expensive than the dealer :shock:

Got me thinking about another mod for my car now :head:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Captain wrote:Armrest finally fitted, after waiting for my cupholder to arrive from Germany, well worth the wait, very nice to use while cruising, thanks to Southernboy for a quality product.

I was taking another look at your arm rest - and then got thinking about your shortened gear lever. I don't know if you saw Mike Fishwick's response to my question about shortening, but I was wondering how you did yours and if there was any problem with simply taking a hacksaw to the gear lever and lopping a small section off? It would in that case be the slotted top end of the lever so I'd hate to do something which caused irreparable damage to the car.
Mike mentioned something which I really liked: with the shortened lever he could select reverse much more easily because his fingers could rest over the centre console to the left and give more purchase to the lever against the selection spring.
Your thoughts...
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

g8jka wrote:Check this diagram on real oem under the accesories and retrofittings section, listed as a cupholder/coinbox. It shows a picture of the part and the same part number listed at the dealers.

Also the same number comes up for the same part on bmminiparts and coopers, but both are more expensive than the dealer :shock:

Got me thinking about another mod for my car now :head:

Ahh that explains it..the one i was looking at wasnt retro fit.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have you seen Mike Fiswick's fingers.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

John1950 wrote:

I was taking another look at your arm rest - and then got thinking about your shortened gear lever. I don't know if you saw Mike Fishwick's response to my question about shortening, but I was wondering how you did yours and if there was any problem with simply taking a hacksaw to the gear lever and lopping a small section off? It would in that case be the slotted top end of the lever so I'd hate to do something which caused irreparable damage to the car.
Mike mentioned something which I really liked: with the shortened lever he could select reverse much more easily because his fingers could rest over the centre console to the left and give more purchase to the lever against the selection spring.
Your thoughts...
There has been no cutting of the gear lever, I have a short shift kit installed, which I purchased from Turner Motortsport a couple of years back. There are a lot of places that sell short shift kits, just need to shop around for the best deal.
ImageImage
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Captain wrote:
John1950 wrote:

Your thoughts...
There has been no cutting of the gear lever, I have a short shift kit installed, which I purchased from Turner Motortsport a couple of years back. There are a lot of places that sell short shift kits, just need to shop around for the best deal.
Ah, I see. Right, I'll have a quick look over at Turner Motorsport.
Thanks
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Got the Cup holder, £48 :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Finally !!!
So, you'll be fitting your armrest soon then...Makes such an amazing difference for such a minor mod.
"Normal is overrated"

huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Will be after xmas now...im on an oil rig...............
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Unlucky !".... :D It's overcast and around 23.C out here today, so I've just been out to my PO to collect post etc...roof down... :thumb:
"Normal is overrated"

huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Southernboy wrote:"Unlucky !".... :D It's overcast and around 23.C out here today, so I've just been out to my PO to collect post etc...roof down... :thumb:
I love the fog snow sleet and rain we got here :head: :head: :head:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Must make a change from the rain rain rain all summer long......... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Got Armrest and Centre bit for it to sit on..but i see if i fit the centre bit i have to remove the old one..but my hazard light switch is incorporated into it..any suggestions?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

huntert wrote:Got Armrest and Centre bit for it to sit on..but i see if i fit the centre bit i have to remove the old one..but my hazard light switch is incorporated into it..any suggestions?
You should only need to remove either the ashtray or the small tray that sits behind the hazard warning switch. Any pics of what you have?
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

When I did mine, only the ashtray needed to be removed, the cupholder finishes just behind the hazard switch.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

il try when its safe to take the cover off the car :)