My wheel refurb + centre console colour coding

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
tangomachine

blank

My wheel refurb + centre console colour coding

Post by tangomachine »

Ever since I bought my car last march ive never been totally happy with the z star alloys it came with. The lacquer has started to lift and go milky. It annoys me everytime I wash it. So I found myself some style 89 alloys on ebay at a reasonable price and not at the other end of the country

Not in perfect condition, slight kerbing, 2 are quite badly corroded behind the spokes

After doing a bit of home work I decided to try it myself and if it goes wrong I can just get someone else to do it next.

First I started sanding down the backs of the wheels today. Taking advantage of the unusually nice weather sat on the decking. After an hr and half per wheel on the first two wheels with a pizza pit stop inbetween this is where im currently at

Last edited by tangomachine on Sun 02 Jun, 2013 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: My wheel refurb

Post by Del »

Nice looking wheels :P
tangomachine

blank

Re: My wheel refurb

Post by tangomachine »

Got 2 wheels ready for spraying today. Put some chemical metal on the two that are rubbed down ready to spray aswell. It was easier to apply than expected

With chemical metal rubbed down on bottom pic

tangomachine

blank

Re: My wheel refurb + centre console colour coding

Post by tangomachine »

Got a second centre console on eBay to spray to match the car and get it all ready to swap over. Had to buy a second one as the car is my only car therefore my daily driver

As it arrived
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

Primered

Silver
ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

tangomachine wrote:Got 2 wheels ready for spraying today.
Do you intend to use a bit of Acid Etch primer first? Seems to be the recommendation from those in the know.
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

Sprayed using bmw arctic silver spray paint from halfords. Just done one coat today. Has anyone else done this? Did you put a second coat on before lacquering?
Then I'm gonna put 2 coats of lacquer on for protection. Next on the list to order are leather boomerangs with red stitching. Black gaitors with red stitching for gearlever and handbrake, chrome rings for heater dials and 2 bulbs for behind the heater dials. Right hand side one has been out since I got the car anyway
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

Del wrote:
tangomachine wrote:Got 2 wheels ready for spraying today.
Do you intend to use a bit of Acid Etch primer first? Seems to be the recommendation from those in the know.
Yeah I noticed that a couple of people used it first before normal primer so I picked some up this morning. According to the can it sticks to metal a lot better
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

Well since I haven't had the time lately I ended up sending my wheels to be properly refurbed by a professional company. And here are the results:
ImageImage

Just putting a couple of coats of sealant on now then will be swapping them over :D :D
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

The finished picture!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That is a really superb job you did on your wheels and console...I certainly wouldn't have attempted such a detailed task. :wave
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

need a lowering spring set on that sexy little beast, makes it look a bit meaner and a bit sexier ;-)
Spang257

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Spang257 »

Any photos of the completed centre console?
"You can't hide a stick of broccoli in a glass of milk..."
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

There will be a console update in next couple of weeks once I've put it all back together. Still at the same stage as pics above show at the moment
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

Got around to making a start on the centre console wrap today. First attempt went in the bin. Took my time and armed with a hairdryer :D heres the first part admittedly the easiest !

Doing the upper part tomorrow and will lacquer over the weekend to protect it a bit. Not looking forward to the next piece as theres so many curves to get round. Will keep posting progress. Looking forward to getting it all back together now though
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

The wheels and console look great :wink: keep up the good work!
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3