Brennan's z3 journal

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Brennan's z3 journal

Post by mnbrennan »

Hi all

I've never started a journal before, so thought I'd give it a go.

Background

I've owned a Fiat Punto (boring) and a Hyundai Coupe (surprisingly nice). I got rid of the Coupe as I couldn't justify the running costs:- I work away from home during the week (in Manchester at the moment, although London based and live just outside Durham) and any car I own is just a weekend car.

After being without a car for about a year, my number plate retention was up and I thought I may as well get it on a car before it runs out (more on this later). So I had a look on Autotrader for something different, looking at snotters really. Then I started looking at something a bit older but respectable. I spent a while looking at Porsche 924s and 944s but every one I went to see seemed to be rust boxes; and the running costs would be unbearable. I saw a Z3 on PistonHeads I think, and so started to look around - and wanted a straight six as the insurance was the same as the 1.9

I saw a lovely looking Z3 sport in black, with style 42 alloys and 86k miles (didn't REALLY want a car with this high a mileage). It was a 2.2, and so I went to see it on the bank holiday weekend, only to get there and realise that the garage was shut. I gave the owner a call for him to tell me that it was already sold; needless to say, I was a little disappointed.

I had seen a blue Z3 on eBay, but was put off by the fact that it was 'only' a 2.0, plus it had blue leather seats. Only 48k miles and 2 owners though. Fortunately by this point I just wanted one, so went up to see it.

Advert pictures:

Note the fogged up rear window

Wasn't sure about the leather seats

I went to see it on a sunny day so had a drive with the roof down. And the sound was great. So one deposit later I picked it up the next week.

First job was a bloody good clean (by hand) and to sort that rear windscreen

Rear windscreen sorted

Also painted the brake calipers red

Now I'm not happy with the alloy wheels - they are corroded near the nuts and they really detract from the look of the car. Fortunately I've sourced some from eBay (remember those style 42s?) and I'm picking them up tomorrow night. Here's a mock up (you will be able to see the calipers!!!)

I've also bought a machine polisher to kill some deep scratches and glazing on the paintwork. The next job will be to re-dye the leather seats as they're looking a bit tatty
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Brennan's z3 journal

Post by Del »

Nice car and can't be bad at all with just 48K miles on the clock. The poor 2.0 gets a bit criticised but I reckon it's a fine engine with enough torque to make motoring on most UK A & B roads quite pleasant.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Agreed, it goes OK with a lead foot. Plus having not driven the 2.2+, I'm in ignorant bliss at the moment.

I didn't come back to the private plate - after purchasing the car, I realised that the plate is newer than the car and can't put it on :head:

I have seen another which I could put on at £250 though - its dangerous :lol:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

These little cars respond well to a simple service - plugs, oil and filters. I don't know what its service history has been but it's possible with just 48K on the clock that the plugs have been in it for a long time - worse case scenario they're the originals :shock: - worn/old plugs make a surprisingly big (worse) difference.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Thanks for the tip. Any recommendations? NGK Iridium seem to be the standard these days?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Alloys swapped for style 42s

The machine polisher came at the weekend... unfortunately the pads didn't, so will have to wait til next weekend
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

So I finally had all of the parts for the machine polisher today.

I don't know if its my technique (first time DA'er), but it seemed to take an awful lot of work. I had to use an orange pad and Meguiar's Ultra-cut compound (M105, followed by a white pad and Meg's Ultra Finishing Compound. All of the swirl marks have gone, but couldn't get rid of some really deep scratches. Guess they are too deep to remove...

Before

Unfortunately the sun had gone in after 7 hours (!) work, but here are some pictures anyway

Refelection

Best comparison pics

Before

After

Car was finished with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. I'll post some "sun" swirl pics tomorrow hopefully. I also cleaned and protected the roof with AG stuff, unfortunately it's raining now :head:

See you at Harewood House tomorrow!!! :squeeze:
Spang257

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Spang257 »

Looking good, bud! My 2.8 is the same colour as yours and it looks gorgeous after a bit of time is spent on it.

Pleased you changed those wheels - it makes a huge difference! I like the red calipers, I've been thinking about doing the same thing to mine but was told that they would look tacky by a friend - I think that yours look the biz, so my next job is in hand...

What are your plans with the seats? Are you re-doing them the same colour or changing it? My seats are pretty worn too and I'm wondering what could make them look better...

All the best,
"You can't hide a stick of broccoli in a glass of milk..."
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Hi sorry for late reply! Couple of jobs over the winter, repairing the seats in the same colour, using scuffmaster. Got a centre console with a silver touchplate, may or may not exchange that touchplate for my Blue one. And then spark plugs need changing along with an overall servive

I like the red calipers with blue. My winter car (hyundai coipe) has the same

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

A couple of little bits. Applied some Scuffmaster to my seat bolster

Before:

After:

Looking much nicer.

Also need to fit this new centre console

The car is shored up in the garage in the winter, so collecting a few bits to fit before it is released again!!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

That Scuffmaster looks like good stuff.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Aluminium centre console now fitted

Also have a new knob ordered (old one was a bit scabby :twisted: ) to match the console

mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Picked up a hardtop at the weekend, I just need the fitting kit now. Pictures below

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, Been following your journal. I see you replaced your centre console for a turned aluminium version. Assuming you still have your old blue console do you want to sell it? I have the aluminium version but would prefer the blue! Different things to different people!!
Regards, BB
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Zed is looking great - keep up the good work. :D 2.0 is a great little car. Enjoy!
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

bentley-boy wrote:Hi, Been following your journal. I see you replaced your centre console for a turned aluminium version. Assuming you still have your old blue console do you want to sell it? I have the aluminium version but would prefer the blue! Different things to different people!!
Regards, BB
It is! Please have a look in the stock exchange

amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Looks great! The 16" 42's look the part. I have the 55's you previously had but mine are still glossy in perfect shape. Mine only has 25,000 miles on it and is also a 2000 year production. Mine has beige top and interior however.
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Must admit I like the tab against the blue. Sometimes I think mine is too blue!

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Interesting thread. I have a 2.8 the same colour. My paint wasn't great when I purchased it so bit the bullet and sent it in for a full strip down respray. It's due back by Xmas. I think its a great colour and really shines in the sunshine.
I to have done some interior work, having the beige leather I've added the matching gear gaiter and added walnut dash trim, gear knob and handbrake. Not to everyone's taste I know but I like it, and as someone else said earlier each to there own!
Enjoy your Z! May see you on a cruise next season.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Absolutely. How much did the respray set you back?

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I paid £1800 inc a wheel refurb. I do know him tho. I thought that was extortionate but I'm told to have it fully stripped it's not a bad price. Still made me weep when he told me but its my hobby and only used during the summer and intend to have it for the next twenty years so although it owes me more than its probably worth it's for the long haul so it doesn't really matter, and I do love it!! :P

amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

mnbrennan wrote:Must admit I like the tab against the blue. Sometimes I think mine is too blue!

Thanks!

Davejue1 I'm sure it'll look great when you get it back.
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I hope so! He's had it for two months. Doing a bit between other jobs. I want it back now!! :)

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Davejue1 wrote:although it owes me more than its probably worth
A lot of us enthusiasts are in that position i.e. spending (or have spent) more than cold economics would pay us back on the 2nd hand market. One has to factor in the hobby/enjoyment aspect and remember that running any car is a money pit to an extent.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Well I don't drink or smoke and my only hobby/pastime is my Z. I'm 41 now and it's the first time I've been able to afford to have a car as a weekend treat so I just want the car to be the best it can be. Once back from the body shop I must stop spending or her indoors is going to remove items if rather not mention!!!

mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

This may be coming up for sale. I'm after a z3m coupe!