dapc's new 2.8 Z! Happy new owner!

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
dapc

Not specified

dapc's new 2.8 Z! Happy new owner!

Post by dapc »

Hi, well from selling my Megane I recently bought 2.8 Z. Overall im very pleased, a little surprised with how much the thing drinks, but my last two cars have been diesels. Anyway, has a few little niggles which need sorting, but its off the road until I get back off holiday in August. So lots of time to get things sorted!

Iv taken a look at that chasis number check from here and found that it a 25% lock diff. Very happy!

My future plans are to get some lowering springs 20-30mm max. Can anyone suggest anything within a budget?

Looking at some e36 m3 wheels. Would these fill the arches enough or would I need more width? Any suggestions in this area would be great!

Anyway here he is.

Any suggestions or opinions welcome :-)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: dapc's new 2.8 Z! Happy new owner!

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome and congrats! I'll give you £100 for that disgusting hard top... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

My diff is a S290A. Woukd anyone be able to tell me the ratio of this? Thanks
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

I think I may keep the disgusting hard top. Ill save others of the embarrassment! ;-)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thought you might be a friggin gentleman.... :bawl: :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

the ratio is 1:3.91 with 25% diff lock...also fitted to the 1987 635i BMW... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Its a welcome from me too :wave

A few of us here get 35+ mpg from the 2.8 engine :D but the ones who drive possessed get alot less :D :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

Thank you Southernboy! Much appreciated! Your the true gent!

Ah I dont think I was getting that kind of mpg's. I bought the car in Southampton and drove to Essex and i was stuck in all that traffic, after getting a little lost, the petrol light came on. 20 mile later still stuck in traffic and being lost trying to find a petrol station. Finally got to one and 4 hours later got to where I needed to be. Crazy long day! Was up at 5am for work. Anyway im a very happy boy!
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

Would e36 m3 or e39 17" m-sport/m5 wheels fit? Also what is the stud diameter on the z3. Trying to find out in the manual, butnit doesnt list the 2.8? Im looking at lowering the car, will i have trouble with with 17" wheels. Looking at lowering 30mm. The springs are coroded and was a advisory on its last mot.

Thanks
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

stud spacing = 5 x 120....common to many BMW's...yes e36 will be fine...17" is good and even 18" are comfortable....Lowering is cool, but you will have issues under the car with bumps etc...
The main issue with rims is the depth of the dish...the face which mates with the hub...if it's too "shallow" the rim will touch on the shocks..and you will need spacers to push the rims outwards, if too "deep", then the rim will be pushed out beyond the body / wheel arch... You may have a problem with M3 rims on the back and will need spacers to adjust the positions. this is known as the "offset" I think 8.5 or 9 is the desireable offset for the Z3 without causing complications.:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

Thank you again! Much appreciated! I think I'll hold fire on the wheels till the car is on the road!
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

This is my inspiration

And I really want this spoiler

SeriousRikk

blank

Post by SeriousRikk »

I've gotta say I do like that spoiler a bit, even though I like the rear lines on the preface anyway!
Richard - Old Zeddy's new home...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Nice spoiler...but being biased, I prefer this style on the pre-facelift... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

Hello again, its a great shame that the Z was short lived. Its almost ready for the scrap man to take and after driving a 206 I borrowed I needed something asap.

So after trawling through ebay a feesh 10min add came up and I phoned the guy up and next day was making my way to Preston. I found a BMW 323 coupe with 113k miles, full fsh, tax and test till march and in generally good nick for £650. This will get me by for the mean time whilst I recoup some money from the Z. So here she is.

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Am I missing something? What happened to the zed?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Another one bites the dust!

The 'BEAST' 666
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

Why not update this as its all BMW related!

Well my 323 ended up looking like this: Coil overs E34 bbs's and a welded diff. This is mine with another two 328's which my friends own.

Well, im not having much luck with bmw's and walls but my poor 323 met a wall but not by me. I went to a drifting day at Norfolk and I lent my friend my car while i was passenger in another friends car and watched him crash.

After getting it to a garage, a few days later i was told the car was un-repairable safely. So it was time for my friend to buy me a new BMW of my choosing with the same kind of budget i had.

Up came this 328 coupe in a sorry stae, with a huge loud exhaust, 18" MV1's, neons, halo's and few missing trim bits, even a kidney grill. The good things was that the wheels, halo's and the interior were sellable. it had a factory option red leather m-sport in terior, including the carpet and parcel shelf.

After swapping all my parts over and my old interior, getting a standard 328 exhaust and steering wheel as someone had eaten the current one iv ended up with a almost replica. So the only added mod to this is modded hubs so have more lock on the steering.

Well i hope i havent bored anyone with E36 bmw's! I hope this will not see the same fate as the last two.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

OMG
Last edited by Koolflyer on Fri 31 Jan, 2014 10:02, edited 2 times in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Damian.......this kinda seems familiar mate, take it easy man :roll:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
dapc

Not specified

Post by dapc »

I am, dont you worry. It was a friend who crashed my 323, i was doing well during the day myself, not even coming close to a wall. how he managed to find it is beyond me.