Retro fit Chrome Roll hoops to 1997 Z3

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
BlackBeautZ

Z3 roadster 1.9

Retro fit Chrome Roll hoops to 1997 Z3

Post by BlackBeautZ »

Hi guys

I have a P reg 1997 Z3 which has plastic mounting holes by the seat belt which is covered with a plastic cap however mine doesn't have factory fitted hoops nor additional holes drilled into the plastic storage box, I was wondering if this is not too hard to retro fit, I do see you can get some dual chrome hoops that just require the seat belt holes and a middle bar joins them to save cutting into the middle another two holes would these fit easily? Or if I did get proper ones I would have to drill additionl holes into the storage box, unsure online what type to go for need chrome ones and what fitting kit I would need?

please help!!!

Thanks ;)
Kris
Black BeautZ

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Retro fit Chrome Roll hoops to 1997 Z3

Post by Robert T »

Assuming you want hoops that will actually provide rollover protection, it's not just a matter of drilling holes in the storage box - you need to fit mounting brackets underneath to secure the inboard legs of the roll hoops to - and if you do this you need to change the storage box liner, and if you're doing that, you might as well fit the proper trim pieces as well. For complete details on what is involved, see the knowledgebase: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=3439

The alternative is to fit a one-piece style-bar, and you have a choice of whether it is push fit or whether you drill holes in the sides of your existing seatbelt turrets in order to do the bolts up.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BlackBeautZ

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BlackBeautZ »

Hi mate

I think I would go for the all in one bar its purely asthetic really so a joined dual hoop would be best any ideas where I can get one?
Kris
Black BeautZ

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

They sell them on eBay - UK But IMHO, It is a much better idea to do the OEM route....once you fit the 2 hoops with the joining bar, you will lose the rear storage box..it won't open. The final job going the OEM route is classic and can be "upgraded" like I have done to mine... Mine are upholstered in leather..:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Im interested in doing this also.

If the other cubby box had to be fitted, is it a simple job to replace purely the trim just there or do you need to remove the lot down the sides aswell?

I am not too bothered about losing the use of my storage box as it would be purely for the look when the roof is down although i would prefer the black set.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It's a simple job...remove the "old" storage box, and fit the new one....You will need the roll hoop inner mounting brackets too, also, check your seatbelt trim covers..they should have pop out plates to allow the outer arms of the hoops to pass through as well as pop out "windows" on the inner sides of those top "shoe-like" parts, The pop out windows allows you access to fit the locking screws which hold the hoops in place. It really is worth the time and effort to go the OEM route...they look heaps better than the Taiwan chrome items, and they allow easy fitment of the OEM wind deflector afterwards....and believe me, the wind deflector (mesh / net type) is a huge plus when driving top down.
....have a look on eBay - UK. They come up fairly frequently. You won't regret going OEM...as you know, space in the Z3 is always at a premium, and the use of the rear storage box becomes vital if you're planning a driving holiday, or even if you're just out for the day. I use it for tissues, hand wash, wet wipes, a micro-fiber cloth, my non OEM tow hook, etc etc....As you know, the glove box is almost useless for anything larger than an iphone and a pack of condoms...and the shelf behind the rear storage box becomes useless once the roof drops down...behind the seats there is limited space beyond a couple of bottles of whisky and a ground blanket, and if like me you need your seat set as far back as possible, that space lessens further. I am always looking for storage options so that when travelling, I can fit stuff in without it getting tossed about. Currently looking at a boot mounted rack which will be removable, and not do any damage to the boot lid / body when fitted & loaded up...
Ultimately, it's your choice, but you will feel you've fitted the best by going OEM... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Southernboy wrote:wet wipes...pack of condoms..a couple of bottles of whisky
Certainly sounds like the residents of South Africa know how to have a good time :D
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....USED TO BE A BOY SCOUT..."BE PREPARED" IS THEIR MOTTO.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You can see all the parts I bought to fit hoops to mine towards the end of the knowledgebase article I linked to above. There should be no need to replace or remove the lateral trim panels, but if you are buying the trim from a breakers they tend to include these in the bundle. The storage box outer frame is also the same piece, but you need to remove it in order to gain access. The large liner is then replaced with one with a smaller cavity and mountings for the the two fixed trim pieces that the inboard legs pass through and the lid is replaced with a smaller lid which utilises a different hinge arrangement. As Barry suggest the seatbelt turrets get replaced by ones with removable panels for access to the bolts. You can fit this if you want to secure a one piece bar, but the entire storage box has to come off in order to gain access to the screws.

The complete retrofit is not difficult, but it is quite long winded due to the sheer number of screws and trim pieces that you have to remove and then refit. Unless you have worked on that area of the car before, it will take you a while to figure out where everything goes - and in my case find out which parts you missed ordering. I would have thought you could do it in half a day. Just make sure you have a decent set of Torx bits and preferably access to a torque-wrench as BMW are quite specific about how much torque to apply to the fixing bolts for the inboard brackets.

Cheers R.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

This is an extremely good writeup on doing this retrofit.

I read in amongst it though about only certain models before the facelift are able to take the retrofit. Im unsure whether my 97 1.9 will be able to do this.

I also presume ill have to wait till these items come up on ebay sometime in the future as sourcing what i can will be extremely expensive/impossible from bmw.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

All Z3's pre / post facelift can have roll hoops...you may just need a couple of extra bits like the inner mounting brackets... If you do a search on eBay, and also put a post up on the forum for the parts, and have a little patience...they will all arrive eventually...fitting isn't a major as Rob saya, it's just lots of screws and stripping / re-assembly time....but, once you've done it, you will also have learnt a heap about the Z3 rear interior...and had the opportunity to give it a thorough cleaning etc... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

All cars built from 01/97 onwards should be able to have rollhoops retrofitted. My understanding is that those built 12/96 or earlier lack the necessary pre-tapped holes in the chassis in order to fit hoops, but I've not seen one to check - they certainly lack something that is necessary to fit the hoops.

Cheers R.