Back at last

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Back at last

Post by Davejue1 »

After waiting 2 months I finally got my Zed back from the paint shop. I'm really chuffed with the end result after spending all day valeting it after it arriving back on a trailer looking like it has just completed a Topgear challenge through outer Mongolia!
Plenty of fettling to do while SORNed through winter but here's the general finish.
On the interior I've added a Walnut dash and door trim, gear knob and handbrake and also changed the gear gaiter to match the trim. I know walnut isn't for everyone but I like it!

I hope everyone's had a lovely Christmas and looking forward to the forthcoming season. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
bentley-boy

blank

Re: Back at last

Post by bentley-boy »

Wow looks great! That tonneau sets it off!! Was looking to get a walnut covering for my centre console as I do not like the turned aluminium finish of the sport models - where did you gets yours from? real veneer or plastic? Been out for the third time today in mine having taxed it recently, really enjoy it. The replacement engine I bought for it had head gasket problems so I bit the bullet and pulled the head, a new OEM head gasket and bolts set me back £43 but at least I know it has been done and was a learning curve both fitting the engine and then doing a gasket change. Will do a write up when I suss how to upload photo's to go with it. You must be really pleased with yours, I have always liked the beige interiors.
Best wishes BB
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi BB,
Yeah totally agree on the tonneau! The trim is plastic coated and I got it from thewalnutdashcompany.co.uk. My dash was just plain black which I didn't really like so decided to buy the walnut. You can get half and full kits to suit.
I have battled today getting the pics on but it's quite easy when you get the swing of it.
I'm holding back till march to tax mine but did have a little sneaky up the road today when I was taking the pics!

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, was the trim easy to fit, does it go behind the heater controls etc involving their removal? Will have a look at their website. I did look at photobucket from the point of uploading pics but you have to register and they want too much personal information so didn't bother. Bet you enjoyed the "sneaky" drive!!

Regards BB
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

No removal involved. Only took an hour or so. Just heat up the piece you want to fit then Put in place and rub with a soft cloth. And yes enjoyed the "sneaky"! :D

t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

I too like the beige interior and the tonneau really does look the business when you learn how to fit it easily.I have finally got around to uploading some photo's to photobucket this week to try uploading them to the forum.However I do keep getting a warning from my security that it is putting my computer at risk. So I'm a little nervous.Has anyone else had this please?
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Tony, I've certainly not had any trouble with photobucket. I can't see there being any problem with it as its so widely spread on the forum.
I did hunt down the colour combo, Montreal with beige as it was my first choice. I had a black tonneau with the car but swapped with Bentley boy as he was after a black one and I do much prefer the beige one on the car.

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......mmmmmmm...now I see why you're keen on beige....yes, nice combo Montreal / Beige.... 8-) Not as "doggy" as my "black & tan" original..... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Davejue1 wrote:Hi BB,
Yeah totally agree on the tonneau!
Was the tonneau already tan or did you have it coloured
I want to get mine sprayed Imola red, but not having a lot of success
I spoke to a leather refurbisher who said cant do it as it is exposed to the elements
I said I don't use it in the rain :head:
I'm still looking
Last edited by Boysie on Tue 31 Dec, 2013 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I bought the car with a black tonneau and swapped it for the tan one with another forum member. I do recall reading a thread where one of the guys had a black one and dyed it blue? See if someone comes up with who it was for you, it wasn't that long ago.

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, Before the fortunate swap with Davejue I was intending to recolour the tan tonneau to black using plastic 'paint'. I have for years used a local company (to me) for leather colourant products, the company is called ISF in Thurmaston, Leicester. Their original business was supplying leather colourants to the shoe industry hence the name 'International Shoe Findings', they have grown and do all sorts of products including paints for plastic finishes. Google them and all their products are described. Very helpful people, I always go in person. Another company is Shoe Clinic but I found their leather colourants very 'watery'.
Best of all I had only just joined the forum when I saw Davejue's request for anyone wanting to swap, and even better still he was only just up the road!. . . how cool was all that?!!!!

Best wishes BB
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

P.S To Last Post. They also do plastic paints in convenient aerosol form. However be sure to prep properly for a successful results, as Davejue's paint job, the end result is only as good as the preparation.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I have used gliptone colours, well the refurbished did on my seat bolster
I did asked could it be sprayed as he did on the bolster, he said yes
But on asking not long ago he said no ?
I did look at purchasing a small air spray, as you commented preparation is
paramount albeit just a wipe over with the correct cleaning solution
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a leather man prepared to do it
albeit the tonneau is plastic covered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Years ago when I was a lad, I think it was Humbrol, who did upholstery paint for plastic(pvc) interiors. I used it on my mini(s) because most mini interiors were awfull colours. Biggest mistake was doing some of it while it was still in the car as it was cellulose based and I ended up intoxicated. It's probably not available any more because everything has to be water based these days, but someone may know different. It would definitely coat the tonneau cover well even as applied with a brush.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

ISF Coatings products for plastic finishes are available as solvent based still ensuring a premium product, as you correctly say water borne products always appear inferior. Like eveything today, products that did the job properly appear to be banned nowadays, except in this case. :) BB