Computer hard drives

Advice and assistance on computer matters
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Computer hard drives

Post by mich »

I read some where recently that the days of the Mechanical Hard Drive were over, but have been unable to re locate the article, has any one seen this or offer any further info? Thanks :)
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

The new Apple has a solid state disk, and as they are generally the trend setters ....

Size is an issue at the moment though.
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by namatjira »

PVR wrote:
Size is an issue at the moment though.
Isn't it always :wink:

Seriously though, while solid state disk is the forward trend it will be a very long time before hard disks are replaced. There are several reasons for this.

1) SSD is very expensive at the moment and in high demand
2) Even after a catastrophic failure data can still be recovered from a regular hard disk but not so from a solid state disk.
3) Capacity. SSD is a very long way short of HDD capacity and both are increasing dramatically.

I expect that each will consolidate in their own markets.

Cheers
Now with both the 411 bhp Supercharged Z3MR and a WRX STi Wagon getting a 3.4 litre transplant and an XKR with mods planned.

Fast is good, faster is better. Wheeeeee !!!
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

It makes sense that the SSD will be used more in the portable and hand held storgae applications. Where size isn't an issue the conventional HDD will remain for a long time to come yet. You can get 2TB for about £300 now!
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Thanks for the input, They are expensive see http://techreport.com/articles.x/13163 I am in for a new desk top but will stick with the normal HD :shock:
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I've seen IDE to CF adaptors, you can get 3 CF drives on one 3.5" carrier, making 96GB a possibility.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
tetchmeister
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by tetchmeister »

SSD's have been an option on Toshiba and Dell machines for some time now, 64Gb is the standard capacity.