Maxtor external hard drive

Advice and assistance on computer matters
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Maxtor external hard drive

Post by mich »

Has anyone had experience of the Maxtor One Touch4 external hard drive, I have heard that they gave a bit of trouble, but they may have sorted it out by now, they are sold here with a 5yr wty so should be reasonable. good or not?
richardjgreen

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by richardjgreen »

They are very reliable had mine for 4 years use it every day no problems
WWW.pctechnology.org.uk
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Thanks Richard, at last a good word, it is the USA jokers that are giving it a bad name, they say there is no help unless you pay, and they o/heat + hard to set up. I just am not knowledgeable enough to sort out the really tech stuff. so is it easy to install?? I am looking at the 500GB model.
kinglauy2k

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by kinglauy2k »

mich wrote:Thanks Richard, at last a good word, it is the USA jokers that are giving it a bad name, they say there is no help unless you pay, and they o/heat + hard to set up. I just am not knowledgeable enough to sort out the really tech stuff. so is it easy to install?? I am looking at the 500GB model.
This is just a plug and play thing...No install required..
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

There is an install - the onetouch software, otherwise it is just a dump hard drive.
Stoned@Home

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Stoned@Home »

Don't bother with the software, just plug it in (ATA or SATA cables)
Windoze should find it, then quick format in NFTS.
or FAT32 if prior to Win Xp, FAT 32 cannot support files larger that 2gb.
italex

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Maxtor ok

Post by italex »

I have used two Maxtor external hard drives and have not has a problem with either, one is about 5 years ols the other about two years old.

The Onetouch software is ok but not essential as you can just plug and play (i.e view the hard drive) and back up to the new hardware using windows back up.

Alex
Z3's, one of the little pleasures in life.
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

I had one of these.. After a few years it started causing a few problems, I dont think it was the disk, but the firewire controller. I got an internal and copied everything before it went belly up..
Fairly good if you dont have room for an internal drive, but dont buy it if you want to transport data, its a pig with a brick..
Toon_Kev81

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Toon_Kev81 »

I have two Maxtors 100 GB on both I think. One for DVDs and one for file storage. Both fine and both plug in and plays. No problems so far.