Mac-v-PC

Advice and assistance on computer matters
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Mac-v-PC

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi All. Need to buy a new computer. My current Compaq running Windows XP is getting on and I have decided to buy new. I prefer a desktop and have been advised to go down the Apple route with an I-Mac. I know this subject has been aired before but a couple of years has passed and I presume things have moved on.Windows now has Windows 7 and Mac Lion OS looks impressive. I would appreciate hearing peoples views. What would you go for? The price difference is not an issue so you can ignore that. I am mainly looking for simplicity of use and reliability.To be used for social and leisure use only, no complicated business use.
Many thanks in anticipation.
David.
A job worth doing is worth doing well.
Wingcruizer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wingcruizer »

Well i went down this road :) but in the end Mac was a winner :) easy to use when you get used to it I love my MacBook Pro 15" it fits me like a glove :) go check out the apple store there are plenty to play with :) and they will give you some good advise, as questions and get them to show you.. I will never go back to a PC.. good luck with your choice..
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

The only advantage you have over getting another Windows PC is familiarity. If your not worried by having to learn how to use a new OS then that shouldn't be an issue.

It does also depend a lot on what you use your computer for in making the decision.

If cost wasn't a factor for me I would run a Mac for my main desktop at home. Well that, and the fact my kids school have a Windows PC network at school, so they are more used to Windows.

Personally I'm using a 6year old Dell laptop someone gave me, running a license free version of Linux. Cheap as chips and does everything Windows can.

Apple make some cracking looking hardware, and the operating systems are pretty looking, reliable and easy enough to use. Oh, and you don't need to spend half your life making sure your virus protection is up to date!

On the PC side, Windows 7 is pretty stable. It's been reliable on my desktop PC, only requiring one rebuild so far in 18months. Just make sure you get a system which has plenty of RAM memory in it, and as quick a processor as you can afford. You'll need it with Windows :wink:

Post by Guest »

I bought an IMAC 8 months ago, after building and upgrading windows machines and repairing re-installing following fatal erros etc.

I have not touched a windows PC at home since this day, yes the interface is slightly different, but it is very easy to use, doe not crash, do not have to have Anti Virus Software to slow it down, can have multiple windows open without performance being degrading, and the most important part.................

The amount of excellent free software, including office programmes and photo editing suites, that lesser versions on PC will cost you 100's of £'s.

Plus a s a benefit i get to format my caddy hard drive in actual FAT32 to use with my Alpine head Unit in the Zed.

Possible downside is the amount of available games...........

Sorry, but cannot praise enough :D
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Evmundo wrote:I bought an IMAC 8 months ago, ....... cannot praise enough :D
Ditto the iMac
Had mine 12 months now and wished I'd bought it years ago instead of persisting with "Windoze" and "Mickysoft"
The Mac OS is different but very intuitive - I find it much better overall.
Don't let Bill Gates fool you into thinking his way is the only way - just because 95% of the world don't know any better.
I'm sure if you ask anyone that has a Mac to tell you about it they will be equally enthusiastic.
Image :devil:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I had windows machines for 10 years plus.

Swapped to a mac book pro last year.

Would not touch a windows pc again (even if you gave me one for free)

no comparison, not in the same league as the mac imho.

And i work on computers everyday!

Mark

:twisted:

The 'BEAST' 666
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I currently use a DELL Studio 17 with Windows XP for home use rather than a desktop PC and whilst I love the DELL I'm getting fed up of Windows, it's silly updates that grind your pc down and takes over everything you do plus the anti virus software is just an added PIA.

Just Bought an iPad 2 this week with 3G and finding it wonderful and simple to use and love the magnetic smart cover that lets you keep your Internet sessions and when you close the cover puts the iPad too sleep, lift it off the screen and it awakes with your last session remembered, fantastic.

When the laptop is due for replacement wont hesitate too go for a MacBook. Yes they're expensive but your paying for excellence.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hey Guys. Thank you so much for your input. I am typing this on my new Apple I-Mac.It's amazing!
David. :lol:
A job worth doing is worth doing well.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Ooooooh, shiny! 8-)

Post by Guest »

As if I cannot praise enough, just installed OS X Lion for £20

Amazing......................