Is this genuine?

Advice and assistance on computer matters
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Is this genuine?

Post by mich »

I received this email.

Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account,xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxx We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately. Find out how at http://support.google.com/accounts?p=reset_pw :?:
are they just after my p/w
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Is this genuine?

Post by Jonttt »

If your not sure just log into your account as you would normally do (ie never click on any links given to you) and reset the password ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

The only Acc I have with google is an email Acc? I don't do their social net working :?
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

If you hover over the hyperlink, is it the same?

Often when you hover over a "safe" hyperlink such as http:\\www.microsoft.com\account-reset.html you see something like http:\\hyurdt.ru\shgsdmd3h32332\4jdmc.html. This is a link to a website that looks like a microsoft site and is only there to steal your password details.
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I wouldn't go to the suggested site!!! That could well be part of the scam. I would do the usual login and reset the password there. I get emails from banks that I don't bank with and those I do...all suggesting that an attempt has been made etc etc...It's a scam. Whenever an actual attempt takes place, my bank actually calls me on my mobile to notify me.
Beware!!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

If you login to your Gmail account there's a link at the far bottom right which says Last account activity: 0 minutes ago Open in 1 other location Details. If you click the details link it shows a window with the last 10 logins to your account. If there's any you don't recognise, reset your password. Probably a good idea to reset your password just in case.

Edit: Just noticed the e-mail said it prevented the login, so it probably won't show up in there. The link you pasted is a real google one so I would think that the e-mail is indeed genuine. Probably people just trying default passwords on e-mail addresses (123, password, etc.).
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Thanks guys it was genuine and I had to make a stronger password, again thanks for your replies