Good Value French Hotel Chain

Mention the good and bad of your hotel and B&B experiences here. One thread per hotel, please!

Good Value French Hotel Chain

Post by Guest »

www.marmotte.fr/accueil_uk.html

The Hotel Marmotte chain is spread across the northern half of France, where a double or twin en suite room can be obtained for about 32 Euro, a little more than the Formule 1 chain, but you have the advantage of an en suite room, and a good restaurant in the hotel, which is not situated on an industrial estate.

Breakfast is self-service from a large buffet, and the evening meal – though not exotic – can be relied upon to be traditional, appetising, and well-presented, with menus for every pocket. A typical charge for two, with bed, breakfast and evening meal – including half a litre of wine each – is around 75 Euros.

I often use the Marmotte at Laon, off the A26 about 30 miles N of Reims - use A26 Sortie 13 exit to Laon. From the autoroute follow the signs for Soissons to a three-lane section, and exit at the sign for ‘Ile de France,’ just before the ‘Carrefour’ hypermarket. Turn right at the end of the slip road, and right again into the Hotel Marmotte’s car park, which is behind the Hotel Ibis.

Although close to the main road, the area is not unduly noisy, particularly if you can get a room at the back of the hotel. The local campsite is signposted a little further along the main road. Laon has what I think is the best cathedral in France, and is two and a half hours from the Calais ferryport.

Another useful Marmotte is at la Fleche, about 15 miles SW of the le Mans circuit - I'll be using it on the way to the Classic le Mans this year.
Attachments
Mixed bag of BMWs at the Hotel Marmotte, Laon - on the way to the alps, June 2001
Mixed bag of BMWs at the Hotel Marmotte, Laon - on the way to the alps, June 2001
(c) Hotel Marmotte, Laon s.jpg (202.87 KiB) Viewed 3610 times