Looking for Hotel Grand St Bernard - Aosta

Mention the good and bad of your hotel and B&B experiences here. One thread per hotel, please!
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Looking for Hotel Grand St Bernard - Aosta

Post by OXO »

We are (finally!) having our honeymoon trip in the middle of July.

The plan is to do the Grand St Bernard pass over the Alps, stop one night, then on down to Pisa and Florence for a few days. Return will probably be via the cote D'Azur.

Does anybody have a recommendation for good accomodation around Aosta, Pisa, and Florence. Normally we just go and take pot luck, but I don't want anything nasty on this special trip.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Looking for Hotel Grand St Bernard - Aosta

Post by Jonco »

Have stayed in both Pisa and Florence but over 10 years ago, so any recommendation would be out of date.

Did a drive holiday last year through France and Italy - booked some in advance and others as we drove.

Used http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/route_planner.asp and never had a bad one - lots of choice and information. They use booking.com which I've never had any complaints about.

Maybe worth a look.

Good Luck
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

Hi got married in Sienna 3 years ago and go back each year staying in and around Tuscany. We stay in Switzerland for 2 or 3 days too on the way down or this year on the way back at a place called the Cambrian in Adelboaden . http://www.thecambrianadelboden.com/en/13/default.aspx. It's a good base as you can spend the day doing a few passes lunch beside Lake Speiz maybe then back and relax in hotel spa or pool.

We often use this web site for stunning hotels http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/destinations/italy never let us down..

We really liked the Davanzati Hotel in the fashion district in Florence. Was close to centre but not mad with tourists.

Siena is a beautifull place to stay and explore again you can use it as a base. Driving out to visit San Gimignano, park up, explore. Go early for breakfast in the square. Vineyards are alway good some do great lunches for not a lot of money. Caste llano another old town fantastic Pizza in the square. Don't sell anything else but it sure is good.

If you want to base yourself somewhere else in Tuscany we have found the trains and buses eg between Sienna and Florence pretty good too.

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions just ask

All the best.

Moray
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Johansens guide is fab if pricey.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

I'd like to thank you all for you very excellent help. I'm booking the accome tomorrow, and we should be off on the 15th July.

Pics will be provided of course..